What's new

I just bought a Hoffritz slant!

What do you think of my new & improved Hoffritz?
The powder coat was terrible and couldn't stand seeing it that way.
Since I'm actually gonna keep this razor and use it, I wanted to see it in a more visually
appealing condition. I grabbed my Dremel and some Flitz and got to work.
All the powder coating is now gone:

Before:

full

After:

full

full

Does anyone know if the whole bottom piece (bottom plate/handle) is brass or just the handle?
I read somewhere that the bottom plate is zamac & handle is brass (even though they're attached).
Anyone know?

Update on my experience with the Hoffritz:
I've used it for 4 shaves already.
This is an amazing tool that gives really close & smooth shaves. It's probably the best $20 I've spent in my shaving journey. It's strange because my slant razor experiences weren't great up to this point. Between the Fatip OC & Yaqi, I had written off the slants. But this Hoffritz is a joy and gives amazing results. I've had Merkur's before: 33C 34C & 23C and found them all to be underwhelming in terms of efficiency. They were basically my starter razors and early on I realized that I needed something better. If I would have known back then what I know now, I would have jumped into a Merkur 37C or 39C. They are truly excellent!
My "gold standard" razor was my ATT Windsor and I've even decided to sell it. No reason to have money sitting on the table that won't get used. Between this Hoffritz and some of my other vintage razors (Slim, Fatboy, Krona, etc..), I've pretty much set in stone what I need in a razor!
In the next couple weeks, my Hoffritz will be going out for a replate and I'll post the results then. Bottom line is that this razor is great and I want to keep it for as long as I can. It deserves to look new again!
LRod

I had to post this:
Based on B&B's Terms of service which I've copied here, I've interpreted that I can mention this here (If I'm wrong, moderators please delete!:

"Do not post URLs, item numbers, seller ID's, pictures, descriptions or any similar information unless that auction is strictly a "buy it now" sale with no option available to place a bid."

I'm not going to put the link but:
A popular "online Buy it now marketplace" has 4 "New Old Stock" Hoffritz slant razors for sale as a lot!
Pretty remarkable:oops:
Have fun!!

I had to post this:
Based on B&B's Terms of service which I've copied here, I've interpreted that I can mention this here (If I'm wrong, moderators please delete!:

"Do not post URLs, item numbers, seller ID's, pictures, descriptions or any similar information unless that auction is strictly a "buy it now" sale with no option available to place a bid."

I'm not going to put the link but:
A popular "online Buy it now marketplace" has 4 "New Old Stock" Hoffritz slant razors for sale as a lot!
Pretty remarkable:oops:
Have fun!!
Trololol! :nono:
Dat price :ohmy:

In my new search for cheap vintage razors, I accidentally ran into one of these. I've heard of them and know that they were made by Merkur but know nothing beyond that. Not much new info. here on B&B. So far I've stuck with finding Gillette's and Schick but found this one interesting. I believe they are pretty rare. This one includes it's original case and original Hoffritz blades. Seems to be in nice shape and should clean up well. I'll keep it as a unique collectors piece.
I offered $20 and they accepted!
Should be on it's way to me in a couple of days.
What do you think?

View attachment 1514504
LRod!

You stole it!!! Congratulations!

I also bought a similar Hoffritz slant off’n one of the “Bays”, but got hooked for $99USD and it came with a Gillette blade bank…..🙄

Given my poor technique, it’s given me great shaves!

B8ACB75B-988C-4F24-89B7-E48D6274362F.jpeg
55D9452C-E66B-4520-8193-751AD2DC51A1.jpeg

Curly Out

LRod!

You stole it!!! Congratulations!

I also bought a similar Hoffritz slant off’n one of the “Bays”, but got hooked for $99USD and it came with a Gillette blade bank…..🙄

Given my poor technique, it’s given me great shaves!

View attachment 1519012View attachment 1519011

Curly Out
That's awesome!
I know mine was super cheap and got lucky but you did OK at that price. I've looked around and they're way more than $99 in that condition. My handle was a wreck and yours looks great.
I've already sent it off to get replated. Should arrive there on Saturday so I'm hoping to get it back in like 10 days.
I'm excited to see how it will look!
What I find strange about these razors is that the top cap and bottom plate are Zamak but those parts look like new even though the razors are over 50 years old. And then the handles can look terrible (like mine). Your top cap and bottom plate seem to look like new as well. Goes to show that Zamak can last if properly manufactured.
Nice to see another one with the leather case!
And yes, it shaves fantastic!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
What do you think of my new & improved Hoffritz?
The powder coat was terrible and couldn't stand seeing it that way.
Since I'm actually gonna keep this razor and use it, I wanted to see it in a more visually
appealing condition. I grabbed my Dremel and some Flitz and got to work.
All the powder coating is now gone:

Before:

full

After:

full

full

Thats an impressive improvement Larry! It went from being a grungy slantopants, to a lovely vintage your so lucky you managed it happenstance! I hope that you enjoy it, just please be careful, slants are not for the faint of heart. Slants are not part of my shaving journey, I just don't really care for them. Having said that however, it will be interesting to see how you make out with them.

My Hoffritz bottom plate/handle arrived today at Backroads Gold. It got there 2 days early!
Chris emailed me stating that the bottom plate portion seems to be Zamak but he says the plating is in 100% intact condition. (Handle portion is brass). A testament of how well built these things were. So he says he will just replate the whole piece due to it's excellent condition. He'll be doing it in Monday. And it will be finished in Mirror Nickel to match the top cap.
Can't wait to see it done!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My Hoffritz bottom plate/handle arrived today at Backroads Gold. It got there 2 days early!
Chris emailed me stating that the bottom plate portion seems to be Zamak but he says the plating is in 100% intact condition. (Handle portion is brass). A testament of how well built these things were. So he says he will just replate the whole piece due to it's excellent condition. He'll be doing it in Monday. And it will be finished in Mirror Nickel to match the top cap.
Can't wait to see it done!

Oooooooo, Mirror Nickel, I'm actually a fan of that! Have you ever seen the Neboo ships in Star Wars?
1662693843419.png

I wouldn't mind owning one of these, just saying. Talk about flying in style!

So please do take lots of pictures, I wanna drool over some mirror nickel please. HEHE :tongue_sm

Well my friends, my Hoffritz has been replated. Chris from Backroads Gold emailed me a picture of my finished handle/baseplate. It was done in Mirror Nickel in order to match the perfect condition top cap that didn't require replating. It will be shipped to me today.
Looks pretty awesome:

full

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well my friends, my Hoffritz has been replated. Chris from Backroads Gold emailed me a picture of my finished handle/baseplate. It was done in Mirror Nickel in order to match the perfect condition top cap that didn't require replating. It will be shipped to me today.
Looks pretty awesome:

full
Stupid question... was it a lot less since he didn't to the top cap? I think I would have done everything so it matched but perhaps Chris knows a bit more than I do.. ya think? <eg>

Stupid question... was it a lot less since he didn't to the top cap? I think I would have done everything so it matched but perhaps Chris knows a bit more than I do.. ya think? <eg>
Yes it was like $20 less. The reason it was the just the base is because the top cap is pure Zamak.
The base is partially Zamak which is mated to the handle which is pure brass. In order to replate the handle, he had to "hope" that the Zamak portion was intact in order to also replate that portion along with the handle. Luckily it was 100% intact. As is the top cap!
Either way, when I get it I'll compare it with the top cap. If I see any difference, I'll send him the top cap to replate. At least I already know that even though it's Zamak, it's intact which allows a replate.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yes it was like $20 less. The reason it was the just the base is because the top cap is pure Zamak.
The base is partially Zamak which is mated to the handle which is pure brass. In order to replate the handle, he had to "hope" that the Zamak portion was intact in order to also replate that portion along with the handle. Luckily it was 100% intact. As is the top cap!
Either way, when I get it I'll compare it with the top cap. If I see any difference, I'll send him the top cap to replate. At least I already know that even though it's Zamak, it's intact which allows a replate.
Cool. Sounds like a plan... and you'll have it in just a few days....

Top Bottom