What's new

I just bought a Hoffritz slant!

In my new search for cheap vintage razors, I accidentally ran into one of these. I've heard of them and know that they were made by Merkur but know nothing beyond that. Not much new info. here on B&B. So far I've stuck with finding Gillette's and Schick but found this one interesting. I believe they are pretty rare. This one includes it's original case and original Hoffritz blades. Seems to be in nice shape and should clean up well. I'll keep it as a unique collectors piece.
I offered $20 and they accepted!
Should be on it's way to me in a couple of days.
What do you think?

Hoffritz (1).png

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Very nice, difficult to get an accurate date on these razors. They have a delicate powder finish on the handle, be careful not to rub it off with over vigorous cleaning. Just give it a soak in some warm water with bubbles, rinse and then dry - I would not polish it - certainly not the handle.

Hey, LRod,

I bought a Hoffritz Slant a few years ago -- maybe here, maybe the 'Bay, I can't recall. It came in a velvet-lined metal case good for traveling and with a few vintage blades I was warned not to use. From what I've heard about Merkur blades, it sounds like good advice. Anyway, I use it every other Saturday, usually with a Personna Red or Lab Blue blade, and get an excellent shave every time. A slant is not just a gimmick; it can help you to get a closer shave.

In my new search for cheap vintage razors, I accidentally ran into one of these. I've heard of them and know that they were made by Merkur but know nothing beyond that. Not much new info. here on B&B. So far I've stuck with finding Gillette's and Schick but found this one interesting. I believe they are pretty rare. This one includes it's original case and original Hoffritz blades. Seems to be in nice shape and should clean up well. I'll keep it as a unique collectors piece.
I offered $20 and they accepted!
Should be on it's way to me in a couple of days.
What do you think?

View attachment 1514504

I think that you should not visit auction sites before coffee or after alcohol. 😜🤣😂

Kidding, I hope you enjoy your new collectors razor. I like that it’s not just another old Gillette.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You should love it, the vintage Hoffritz (and Merkur) slants are a must for any user/collector. Congrats.
I've got a number of German slants and these 37 style razors are at the top! Super smooth.

And yes, as @EclipseRedRing warns, be careful with the delicate silver coating on the handle.

I've been lucky enough to find a gold one.
full

Hey, LRod,

I bought a Hoffritz Slant a few years ago -- maybe here, maybe the 'Bay, I can't recall. It came in a velvet-lined metal case good for traveling and with a few vintage blades I was warned not to use. From what I've heard about Merkur blades, it sounds like good advice. Anyway, I use it every other Saturday, usually with a Personna Red or Lab Blue blade, and get an excellent shave every time. A slant is not just a gimmick; it can help you to get a closer shave.
I'll definitely give it a go when I get it. I've had some slants. The crazy aggressive Yaqi slant which was horrible & I have a couple of Fatips. This Hoffritz should be nice!

Very nice, difficult to get an accurate date on these razors. They have a delicate powder finish on the handle, be careful not to rub it off with over vigorous cleaning. Just give it a soak in some warm water with bubbles, rinse and then dry - I would not polish it - certainly not the handle.
I'll definitely stick to your cleaning advice. Thank goodness you told me because first thing I would have done is the ultrasonic cleaner, Lol!!

Very nice & a good deal, too. Is this a three-piece or two-piece razor, @LRod? It looks almost the same as an older Merkur slant. I think Merkur made both three-piece and two-piece slants at one time.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I have no idea. I know nothing about these razors, Lol!!
I'll see it when I receive it!

The Merkur 37 is a two-piece razor, or as Merkur dubbed it, "Long Screw."

The three-piece version -- one of them, anyway -- is the 36, or in MerkurSpeak "Short Screw."

Since this is a rebadged razor for Hoffritz made by Merkur there may be nomenclature differences to suit Hoffritz' way of naming things. I'm not sure whether Hoffritz would have carried both models, though we know they also sold the "Super Slant" so they may have laid on a broader line-up.

Any vintage Hoffritz catalogues out there?

O.H.

The Hoffritz arrived today!
That was quick. I hadn't noticed that the seller happened to be in my same city.
I've already given it a Dawn brushing & bath..
Not perfect but an overall excellent purchase, especially for $20!

Included original case + 2 original Hoffritz blades in the blade holder (that I will never use). It's in perfect working order but as @EclipseRedRing had mentioned, the handles powder coating is an issue. I guess that's the Achilles heel of this razor. The handle looks like it's lost some of that powder coating but the head looks brand new!
Anyone know if these handles can be replated and who will do it?
@Benzadmiral mentioned the shave quality and you were absolutely correct.
I had a shave with it today and it was fantastic.
2 pass WTG/XTG, using a Bic Chrome platinum blade.
Super smooth & very efficient. I got a near BBS result from the razor.

Comparisons:
I had a Yaqi slant which I used once and it was terrible!
I had a Fatip OC Piccolo slant and didn't like it!
I have a Fatip Closed Comb Lo Storto slant that I like but the Hoffritz is much better.
I like it a lot! It's a keeper!

Here are some pictures. Excuse the first picture that includes other razors that arrived today. I had taken that picture for another thread:

full

full

full

full

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Beautiful! You could try warm water, baking soda, and aluminium foil to clean the handle but we need an expert to advise if that is a safe method. Congratulations - that is a real beauty 👍

Beautiful! You could try warm water, baking soda, and aluminium foil to clean the handle but we need an expert to advise if that is a safe method. Congratulations - that is a real beauty 👍
Thank you!
I'll wait to see if anyone chimes in on the cleaning method. Honestly it doesn't bother me since I'm the only one that's gonna look at it, LOL!!
And regardless, the handle feels nice and smooth. It's just a superficial degregation.
All I know is that it shaves great!!

LRod, I'm glad you like it. Before I bought mine, I looked around on this site and read about a way to restore the plating. Some, or maybe all, of these had silver on the handle, and that needs to be revived carefully. Mine still looks whitish; I've left it alone.

James Bond uses a Hoffritz in Ian Fleming's last novel, The Man With the Golden Gun. No mention if it is a slant. I think in the short plotless story "007 in New York," set earlier, Bond visits the Hoffritz store to buy the razor on Felix Leiter's recommendation.

Top Bottom