What's new

I Just Bought a 500ml Tube of Proraso

I recently bought a 500ml barber sized tube of Proraso green shaving cream & a 500 ml jar of the green pre/post shaving cream. I am having second thoughts as a Proraso rep told me that the bag of shaving cream may start to lose it’s consistency & texture before I finish it. However he stated it should not spoil or develop bacteria as long as I keep oxygen & water out of the bag. I was thinking if putting some in a 100ml travel shampoo squeeze / flip top bottle to limit how much I open the bag. Has anyone else ever used one of these bags or have any opinions they would like to share?

I can't say for sure how the Proraso tube appears, but if it's anything like the Vitos tubes, it will be like a large tube of toothpaste. I think I've went through 5 tubes of Vitos, and none of them ever became unstable, separated, or spoiled. I measure out 1/4 teaspoon, and whip it up in my scuttle. I really don't think you'll have any issues; you can always knead the tube to mix the contents. The tubes on these 500ml creams comes in a flexible plastic material, and it's pretty durable.

I can't say for sure how the Proraso tube appears, but if it's anything like the Vitos tubes, it will be like a large tube of toothpaste. I think I've went through 5 tubes of Vitos, and none of them ever became unstable, separated, or spoiled. I measure out 1/4 teaspoon, and whip it up in my scuttle. I really don't think you'll have any issues; you can always knead the tube to mix the contents. The tubes on these 500ml creams comes in a flexible plastic material, and it's pretty durable.
+1

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Proraso rep? I need one of those 😁😂Not to suggest spending more money but Proraso has the large pump container / dispenser I think designed to hold the large bag / tube. Although I’m not sure if it holds a 500 ml bag.

I finished off a bag of Proraso Azur Lime over the course of 5 months or so without issue.
Great news. I just ordered the 275 ml bag of the lime. How did you like it?

It was nice. Performance was just like other Proraso soaps and the smell was fruity and balanced without being too sharp. I preferred the smell of it to TOBS Royal Forest (similar theme but not as rich smelling). Probably won’t buy again as I’ve moved on from fruity soaps. I like Proraso Green & Blue better.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
It was nice. Performance was just like other Proraso soaps and the smell was fruity and balanced without being too sharp. I preferred the smell of it to TOBS Royal Forest (similar theme but not as rich smelling). Probably won’t buy again as I’ve moved on from fruity soaps. I like Proraso Green & Blue better.
Thanks I appreciate the review. I found it on sale so I couldn’t resist.

For those of you who are contemplating a decant to another container, I want to point out that the soap in these large tubes are usually pretty stiff:
20210309_120233.jpg

This stuff wouldn't work in any pump dispenser I know of; it's just too thick.
Soaps or creams going "bad" are not unheard of, but they're rare. The original tube will be fine.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
For those of you who are contemplating a decant to another container, I want to point out that the soap in these large tubes are usually pretty stiff:
View attachment 1234400
Soaps or creams going "bad" are not unheard of, but they're rare. The original tube will be fine.
Ok good to hear that. I’m planning on using the one I got out of the bag. Proraso does sell that pump but I’m not sure if it’s designed for the large bag or what not. It’s also $100 so not something I’d plan on buying. The bag is just a form / function thing. I guess it’s not that attractive. But not an issue really.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
View attachment 1234400
First use of the Proraso 275ml bag. It’s very similar to that consistency (in pic) It’s odd using this bag. It feels like an udder.

I just got my tube in. I was thinking of putting some of it in a Taconic shaving cream pump dispenser when it runs out but it appears thicker and the tube is not as unwieldy as I feared.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I just got my tube in. I was thinking of putting some of it in a Taconic shaving cream pump dispenser when it runs out but it appears thicker and the tube is not as unwieldy as I feared.
Did you get the 500 or the 275?
The 275 I find very manageable it’s not as tall as the cream tube. Twice as wide.

I don't know if all the Proraso soaps in bags like this are as stiff, but I have 275ml bag of Proraso "Single Blade" and wow it's stiff. To make it easier to squeeze soap out, I blew air into the bag - opening it up like a balloon - and added about a tablespoon of water distilled water. With the cap on tightly I squished the daylights out of the bag to mix everything. The Soap squeezes out much, much easier now. It only takes a tiny amount of water to make the soap considerably softer so add it slowly if you decide to try this.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don't know if all the Proraso soaps in bags like this are as stiff, but I have 275ml bag of Proraso "Single Blade" and wow it's stiff. To make it easier to squeeze soap out, I blew air into the bag - opening it up like a balloon - and added about a tablespoon of water distilled water. With the cap on tightly I squished the daylights out of the bag to mix everything. The Soap squeezes out much, much easier now. It only takes a tiny amount of water to make the soap considerably softer so add it slowly if you decide to try this.
Smart. I never would have thought of that!

I’ve used the 500ml bag of Proraso green for a few shaves now & it works great. Although the bag is large, it is not difficult to hold & dispense. It is also easy to lather & lubricates very well.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The bags do seem like wholesale thing or like they are meant for some dispenser. Very utilitarian looking for sure. But I’ve had no issues using the 275 ml azur lime. It’s still soft and very manageable. Since I have 3 regular tubes of the green cream and 1 blue top I’m going to resist getting the 500 ml bag. I did get a 2nd lime 275 to take with me this summer so I’m pretty stocked up on creams. 🤪

Top Bottom