What's new

I just blew $80 on an 8k whetstone. Do I really need a 12k whetstone for SR honing?

Once the bolt is cut, can I sharpen it and shave with it? Will an 8k stone be enough to do that or will I need anything else to sharpen the bolt?

Legion

Staff member
Bolt cutters are darned interesting. Just think, if your straight razor could convert 60 pounds force into 4000 how quickly one could shave! You wouldn't even need to sharpen it.

edit: Hold on... I think I just discovered how electric razors work!

But come on, give me some credit, those puns were freaking golden.

Pounds? What are these pounds of which you speak?

Metric, or it never really happened. :001_tt2:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
POUNDS FOREVER! Give me inches, to 1/128"! Furlongs! Firkins! I buy my gasoline by the gallon and my truck runs much better than on liters of bloody petrol thank you very much. Pecks and bushels! Grains, not grams! Metric is for those who can't do simple arithmetic. Go ahead. Divide the day up into metric hours minutes and seconds. Centi-days. Milli-days. I'm not changing. What would Jesus say? He is probably still angry at us for abandoning the cubit and stuff.

You and your fancy decimal systems of measure! Stop saying things I don't understand.

Anyone here good with a camera? I need to prove that I know how to sharpen razors with money.

Last edited:
It is worse than you think- some pints and gallons are bigger than other pints and gallons. US pints are 16 fluid ounces while UK pints are 20 fluid ounces. That makes the UK gallons bigger than US gallons 'cause they contain more fluid ounces. The old expression "A pint's a pound the whole world round" does not really apply to the whole world.

But don't dismiss pounds too quickly- I hear that all the folks who walked on the moon choose that system to weigh things.... :biggrin1:

Nope, bigger outside pubs too.

As the story goes.... When the Mayflower was being provisioned, there were not any water casks (barrels) available so by mistake, they used wine casks. Now as well as know, a 'barrel' size depends on the substance- a barrel of oil is 42 gallons, while of course a barrel of wine is 31.5 gallons (US) and a barrel of beer is 31 gallons (US). So the smaller wine casks were filled with water and when it came time to use them they didn't hold as many gallons as they should have. So the colonists did the logical thing given the circumstances and made new, smaller gallons by cutting the pint down to 16 oz. from 20 oz. US gallons are 128 fluid ounces while Imperial gallons (UK) are of course 160 fluid ounces because one would not want to alter the number of pints in a gallon as that would be silly and confuse people.

To bring this back on topic, I have to assume the razors are sharper in the UK because of this measurement deviation. I mean a HHT must be scientifically different, right?

Brian

I thought British pints were only bigger in pubs.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nope, bigger outside pubs too.

As the story goes.... When the Mayflower was being provisioned, there were not any water casks (barrels) available so by mistake, they used wine casks. Now as well as know, a 'barrel' size depends on the substance- a barrel of oil is 42 gallons, while of course a barrel of wine is 31.5 gallons (US) and a barrel of beer is 31 gallons (US). So the smaller wine casks were filled with water and when it came time to use them they didn't hold as many gallons as they should have. So the colonists did the logical thing given the circumstances and made new, smaller gallons by cutting the pint down to 16 oz. from 20 oz. US gallons are 128 fluid ounces while Imperial gallons (UK) are of course 160 fluid ounces because one would not want to alter the number of pints in a gallon as that would be silly and confuse people.

To bring this back on topic, I have to assume the razors are sharper in the UK because of this measurement deviation. I mean a HHT must be scientifically different, right?

Brian

wiki states this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_imperial_and_US_customary_measurement_systems

now the HHT is interesting. is your HHT 4 the same as my HHT 4 ?

This never would have been a problem if they had just brought beer instead of water.

And aren't most Brits pale and with thin hair? So actually their HHT does probably mean their razors are sharper.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Sure, the facts are the facts but the Mayflower story is the better story....

I think the difference in a HHT is that here we would never say something like 'Eh wot, that's a right sharp bloody razor ya' got there Gov!'

:biggrin1:

Brian
I added the Wikipedia link to add to the discussion not take anything away from what you have said.
The HHT already has many variables I just find it funny if we were to use a different scale to measure the result a well.

So bolt cutters cutting edge gets damaged beyond a certain point we throw them away?

Salesman can say anything. They want you to buy more. What would an actual user or manufacturer say?

So a 5/8 razor gets a chip in its cutting edge we don't throw them away. We grind away until we get fresh metal and start over again.

I see why so many Ace stores went belly up and shut their doors. That and having John Madden as a spokesperson.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Is this thing still going?

:lol1:

If this thing goes too far off topic it may need to be moved (hint hint) :wink:

So bolt cutters cutting edge gets damaged beyond a certain point we throw them away?

Salesman can say anything. They want you to buy more. What would an actual user or manufacturer say?

So a 5/8 razor gets a chip in its cutting edge we don't throw them away. We grind away until we get fresh metal and start over again.

He does have a point, excessive unnecessary sharpening could shorten the life of bolt cutters blades because they oftentimes won't be the same hrc at the core as they are at the surface, but the way he pictures it (a thin coating that immediately drops to the center hardness, otherwise known as case hardening) isn't what induction hardening does, so I'm guessing he's extending the advice in manuals for very cheap cutters to all cutters (that would have more thorough hardening). A bit of google-fu suggests that modern induction hardening has such control they can extend the HRC of the surface to a depth of their choosing, so making the tool unsharpenable would be, as they say in France, très bête.
And like any cutting tool, leaving burrs and dings in it will force it to require more pressure to perform the same job, speeding up the rate the edge is degraded and requiring far more metal to be removed when you do sharpen it. So basically it seems the best advice is not to spend a leisurely afternoon striking away at your cutters with a dremel sharpening drum for lack of anything better to do, but I'd still advise rubbing the burrs out as soon as they form. And if you do ever manage to damage the blades beyond repair, you can usually replace the head for around half the cost of the cutters, so don't throw them away.

But hey, razors, yeah. They sure are swell, right?

Top Bottom