What's new

I introduced my 11 year old son to The Hobbit

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
A fabulous story and yes, liberties were taken in the Hobbit films, but I’m all for gateway drugs to the Tolkien universe. The book is going to be that much more sweet. LOTR films were closer to the books than the Hobbit movies, but they still changed the story in ways that I still think you appreciate the genius of the books even more.

If you can’t sleep, break out the Silmarillion. I personally love it and re-read it often, but that first trip through can be tough.
Hah!

JRR Tolkien was a linguist, and if I had an extra ounce of intelligence I may have loved those books.

But my favorite reading for fiction is Mark Twain and Robert A Heinlein, and Steinbeck... Now I'm old and almost only read Biographies.

Most of the new fiction kinda surprises me that it even gets published.
I read a bunch of Mark Twain, Frank Herbert, and Ayn Rand as a kid, and even some as an adult. I read a couple of Steinbeck's.

I was a bookworm as reading was an escape allowing me to sit in plain sight and disappear. The Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer I read as an adult.

Putting on a good track of music and settling in with a good book and hot drink can be very soothing.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
This may sound like a quaint suggestion, but try carving out about 20-30 mins every day and read the book to your son. Will take a while to get through it but I'll venture a guess that you will create some memories that he will treasure even more than watching the movies with you.

THIS

I remember reading The Hobbit to my kids in our bed after their bath/teeth brushing time. Slowed them down a bit and they’d go right to sleep when we put them to bed. Took months, but fun memories, as you say.

They’re 28 & 31 now. Sigh.

Last edited:
Or vhs
What’s vhs? 😂😁
I remember a family friend had a laser disc player growing up. I thought it was amazing. I'm not even sure if I ever actually watched anything from it...just the fact that it was there amazed me.
Though I think the biggest idiot moment I had was when I thought CDs would never take off because they'd skip too much in cars. Of course, now most new cars don't even come with a CD player at all.
Excuse me, I have to go take my medicine....

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
This may sound like a quaint suggestion, but try carving out about 20-30 mins every day and read the book to your son. Will take a while to get through it but I'll venture a guess that you will create some memories that he will treasure even more than watching the movies with you.
I love this, Jonathan. Reading to my daughter has created some of the greatest moments we’ve spent together.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As a former employee of Radio Shack, I remember it well.
I worked there too.

I LOVED using my Employee Discount on Clearance Sale items!

Yeah..... I never will grow up.

True story: we got my mom a DVD player as a gift. She watched a few movies on it, and I asked her how she liked it.

"Well, the picture is really good, but it takes almost as long to rewind it as it does to watch the movie."

I read this to my youngest son when he was 12. He LOVED it!!....and, I enjoyed it very much. It was the third reading for me.

Then, we went to see the movie as a family. My little guy leaned over and said "I can't wait to see the Eagles"........

Flash forward, all three of my adult children, and SWMBO still make fun of me for walking out on that movie. :devil: I found it very disappointing and have not seen seen it since, but the time reading it to my little guy was as they say Priceless!

Read the book. Still have not seen the movies. Nor have I seen the lord of the rings movies. Gotta get on that.

I agree. Read the books.

I first read the books on a summer break in college in the mid 1960's, and at 75, I still have a slipcased hardcover set of LOTR and a hardcover Annotated Hobbit on my bookshelf. I thought Jackson did a great job on the LOTR films, however I have an English major ex co-worker (my age) who hated the films. Now both retired, and we still argue about them when we meet up for lunch a couple times a year. Jackson lost me as a fan with King Kong. IMO the 1933 King Kong, was one of the greatest films ever made. I thought Jackson ruined the remake and I haven't watched a Jackson film since. I have no desire to see Jackson's Hobbit films. One book=three Hobbit movies? I don't think so. I prefer to watch my old DVD of the 1977 animated film The Hobbit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom