What's new

I hope I am not developing R.A.D. (I know what that is).

Good evening to all fellow shavers.

I hope I am not developing RAD! The reason for that is as much as I love my 39c Sledgehammer, I keep looking at other razors as well. And for some reason I keep looking at the Merkur Progress because I do like that yellow knob on it! But I am refraining from getting more razors as my wife would not like the bathroom filling up with different razors. Another razor I keep looking at is the Rockwell TTO Adjustable (The one that is like a Merkur Vision). It looks seriously awesome in that gunmetal grey finish!

Jason.

It's weird but for some reason that yellow knob has always appealed to me as well. So far I have ignored it's come-hither advances, but it's probably one of the few temptations I've managed to resist (razor-wise).

I hear you about managing clutter in the wife's line of sight. This is why rotations were invented. I simply carry tomorrow's razor (and brush, and soap) into the bathroom each day, having removed today's equipment. This way there is never more than one in view. Just pray she doesn't do inventory.

Good evening to all fellow shavers.

I hope I am not developing RAD! The reason for that is as much as I love my 39c Sledgehammer, I keep looking at other razors as well. And for some reason I keep looking at the Merkur Progress because I do like that yellow knob on it! But I am refraining from getting more razors as my wife would not like the bathroom filling up with different razors. Another razor I keep looking at is the Rockwell TTO Adjustable (The one that is like a Merkur Vision). It looks seriously awesome in that gunmetal grey finish!

Jason.
Yep that's how it starts just looking eh!:devil:

Well this is all my shaving equipment in the bathroom!!! How do I explain to my wife if the razor and soap were to look 'different' each morning?

I do like my minimalist approach to shaving! I like how everything is nice and neat in my bathroom!
IMG_3256.JPG

Yes I know the cabinet looks worse for wear but my wife and I are hoping to completely rennovate the bathroom in the future. It does look rather old-fashioned at the moment but still does the job.

Jason.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I hear you about managing clutter in the wife's line of sight. This is why rotations were invented. I simply carry tomorrow's razor (and brush, and soap) into the bathroom each day, having removed today's equipment. This way there is never more than one in view. Just pray she doesn't do inventory.
This is VITAL! Keeping stuff out of the wife's line of sight.

For TWO YEARS I've been asking about some aftershave that "disappeared"..... "No idea hunny" was the reply, but I knew she knew I knew she'd done something....
So I was forced to wait her out...

She fessed up when I found a box in the barn. Filled with stuff I'd been deciding if I liked.... Luckily they were mostly "cool weather scents" so I can experiment this winter.

What a BORING life I must live! Getting excited about "experimenting" with aftershave, doggone!

FarmerTan

Well this is all my shaving equipment in the bathroom!!! How do I explain to my wife if the razor and soap were to look 'different' each morning?

I do like my minimalist approach to shaving! I like how everything is nice and neat in my bathroom!
View attachment 1341054
Yes I know the cabinet looks worse for wear but my wife and I are hoping to completely rennovate the bathroom in the future. It does look rather old-fashioned at the moment but still does the job.

Jason.
If it still works and does the job fix it later....this has allowed me to live in a paid for house for 30 years that is about to fall down and leave a lot of money in the bank when I die.....

Man. THAT sounds a LOT more pitiful when I read it out loud!

I wouldn't be too concerned with RAD, I found mine dissipated after only 3 or 4 years!
Im not interested in each and every DE razor that is on the market. I am only interested in the Merkur Progress and the Rockwell TTO Adjustable. And yes I did get to hold a Futur in the shaving shop but as mentioned elsewere it was too 'toy-like' and gimmicky. I do love my Sledgehammer very very much. I won't change it for anything else.

Jason.

Don't worry about it, it's almost harmless since you'll quickly realize that only a spectrum of razors are enough to fulfill your interests and requirements.

As soon as you get the razors of various efficiency level, brands, metals, Era, finish..... Etc you'll be able to completely stop purchasing new (or old) razors.

It's the SAD and BAD that you need to worry.

BAD encourages you to purchase blades in hundreds, this'll quickly lead to become owner of thousands of blades in no time.
SAD - well I cannot say anything bad about SAD. I'm constantly looking for a new soap even though I haven't finished a tub of soap in my life!

As long as you keep these 'AD in reasonable control it's OK to treat yourself sometimes.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
RAD doesn't kick in until you've got about 30 more razors than you own at present. Whatever that number is. :)

Seriously, though...explore if you wish; or if you don't wish, don't sweat it.

I went through a lot of razors (for me) before I started zeroing in on my central kick. Now even though my central kick is slant razors I see a lot of nice regular DE razors popping up during OCtober. I see some innovative new design from one of the artisan makers and I mentally put that thing in my hands and imagine it. Mostly I just say "well, that was interesting" and move on. Occasionally I want to go ahead and get one just to see how it is.

That happened to me with the ATT S2. Heard about them, wanted to try one, ended up being in a position where another razor of equal value was being sought by the person who had the S2. We worked out a straight-up swap and both came out happy. One out, one in; felt good about it because the money had been spent on another razor. :) Let's not go into "razor economics."

Oh, and while I have sneaked a few into the house -- as well as sneaked a few out! -- I keep Mrs. Hippie apprised in a general way. That way I don't have a storm on the horizon if she ever takes a close look at my stash. I will say I make a bigger deal out of piffing, selling or trading off a razor -- but she hears about all of them eventually. That way I don't have to try to remember which ones she knows about! My memory being famously porous, this is just easier.

O.H.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
The progress was the first DE razor I bought the yellow nob is what made it vintage looking to me when my wife starts to give me the evil eye when I start looking at a new razor or soap or anything shave related I just say to her like there's worse things I could be doing with the money, like drinking it or using drugs. She just shrugs and says well thats true. And its down the rabbit hole I go ;)

FarmerTan

The progress was the first DE razor I bought the yellow nob is what made it vintage looking to me when my wife starts to give me the evil eye when I start looking at a new razor or soap or anything shave related I just say to her like there's worse things I could be doing with the money, like drinking it or using drugs. She just shrugs and says well thats true. And its down the rabbit hole I go ;)
LOL. My wife would offer to buy me syringes!

Thanks for all your replies. My wife knew how much I wanted the 39c Sledgehammer since I held it for the first time in the shaving shop. But as mentioned before, I keep looking at the Merkur Progress razor. Is there really much difference in terms of performance between the Sledgehammer and the Progress? If the difference is marginal then there is no point in me getting the Progress. I am aware that the Progess is adjustable unlike the Sledgehammer but I just really like the look of the Progress.

Also as mentioned before elsewhere on another thread, I compared an adjustable razor to a car with different transmission modes (like Sport, Eco, Normal etc). I don't want to spend too much time comparing the different adjustment settings and not concentrating on the quality of the shave. To me, that introduces too many variables, like what setting works best with each blade and whatnot. I would just find it confusing and overpowering.

My Sledgehammer does indeed give a really awesome shave and after considering everything else, I have decided NOT to buy another razor. I have decided to focus my attention on which blade and soap works best for my skin. I am saying this with the greatest of dignity, but I have decided that I prefer soaps over creams.

Jason.

FarmerTan

Thanks for all your replies. My wife knew how much I wanted the 39c Sledgehammer since I held it for the first time in the shaving shop. But as mentioned before, I keep looking at the Merkur Progress razor. Is there really much difference in terms of performance between the Sledgehammer and the Progress? If the difference is marginal then there is no point in me getting the Progress. I am aware that the Progess is adjustable unlike the Sledgehammer but I just really like the look of the Progress.

Also as mentioned before elsewhere on another thread, I compared an adjustable razor to a car with different transmission modes (like Sport, Eco, Normal etc). I don't want to spend too much time comparing the different adjustment settings and not concentrating on the quality of the shave. To me, that introduces too many variables, like what setting works best with each blade and whatnot. I would just find it confusing and overpowering.

My Sledgehammer does indeed give a really awesome shave and after considering everything else, I have decided NOT to buy another razor. I have decided to focus my attention on which blade and soap works best for my skin. I am saying this with the greatest of dignity, but I have decided that I prefer soaps over creams.

Jason.
It is my experience that an adjustable razor does one of two things for me:

1) after I find the setting I like, it stays there. Therefore, it is no longer an adjustable.

2) it then no longer has any "draw" for me. I find it sits there, in the land of abandoned toys, lookin' all sad, as I reach for a hundred year old Gillette New Long Comb.

Top Bottom