What's new

I heard the best shave I have had in a while this morning.

You read it right, I heard it. Something I have read about but had not experienced until today. A sound like a broom sweeping across a rough surface. "Scrish".

I was using an old Gillette, oil prep, and Cella, with a new 7 O'clock Sharp Edge. The sound of the hairs being cut was distinct but I barely felt the blade. I think it was because I did not have a hot shower beforehand and the hair was not fully softened.

I may change my routine since I like the effect and feel.

Good man! My take is that this shows you are using minimal/no pressure.

Some razors have more audible feedback than others.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
You read it right, I heard it. Something I have read about but had not experienced until today. A sound like a broom sweeping across a rough surface. "Scrish".

I was using an old Gillette, oil prep, and Cella, with a new 7 O'clock Sharp Edge. The sound of the hairs being cut was distinct but I barely felt the blade. I think it was because I did not have a hot shower beforehand and the hair was not fully softened.

There are things on B&B that many take for granted - a brush with soft or gel tips is better that a scrubby brush, Simpson Super is better that Simpson Best, soap or cream is better than something from a can, the list goes on. Many recommend beard preparation prior to shaving to increase the chances of an irritation free, smooth and effortless shave. But not everyone agrees - I dislike soft brush tips and hate gel tips, I think Simpson Super is terrible and Best is far superior, and canned foam or gel can be fine. I normally load my brush with soap, and then lather straight onto my dry face with no preparation whatsoever, not even water and certainly not a shower. I can hear and feel the bristles being cut, I have no wish for an effortless, smooth shave, and I am happy to shave too close in order to get a fierce burn with alcohol based aftershave, cologne, or EDT. I do it that way because it works for me and because I like it, and that is what shaving as a hobby is all about, so I say change your routine and take no notice of any naysayers. 👍

There are things on B&B that many take for granted - a brush with soft or gel tips is better that a scrubby brush, Simpson Super is better that Simpson Best, soap or cream is better than something from a can, the list goes on. Many recommend beard preparation prior to shaving to increase the chances of an irritation free, smooth and effortless shave. But not everyone agrees - I dislike soft brush tips and hate gel tips, I think Simpson Super is terrible and Best is far superior, and canned foam or gel can be fine. I normally load my brush with soap, and then lather straight onto my dry face with no preparation whatsoever, not even water and certainly not a shower. I can hear and feel the bristles being cut, I have no wish for an effortless, smooth shave, and I am happy to shave too close in order to get a fierce burn with alcohol based aftershave, cologne, or EDT. I do it that way because it works for me and because I like it, and that is what shaving as a hobby is all about, so I say change your routine and take no notice of any naysayers. 👍
Amen to that brother!

Ultimately, this is what matters for each of us once we have the basics down.

marty

Top Bottom