What's new

I have total DE Razor analysis paralysis

Once your technique is down, any razor will get you to where you want to be.

Some are smoother than others, some take less passes, some have been constructed with better materials and some are just prettier and more collectible than others.

Mastering technique can take months or even years for some. When your technique is down, you’ll be able to get BBS with a razor constructed of popsicle sticks and duct tape.

The main thing is to get started IMHO!!

After you start ’traditional’ wet shaving, then you can decide where you fit on the spectrum. You cannot determine your preferences by reading, but only by experience.

That said, I recommend two razor in the ‘mild/moderate’ category: Merkur 34C or one of the EJ 89 series. Either would be a solid choice to get you going! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I remember when I first joined here and was doing a lot of research for my first razor. It was the Merkur Progress which happens to be my advice to others as well. Honestly I wish I stopped right there. However, this shaving business quickly became a hobby and it was like collecting baseball cards in my youth. A few hundred razors later I stopped deluding myself in thinking that I could get them all.

If you like the razor you're using now and have honed your technique using it, but just want to try something different, I say pick an adjustable. It doesn't really matter which one. Don't overthink it. Just pick one that fits your budget and aesthetic preferences (just pick the one that you like the look of best and can afford).
  • Gillette Fatboy
  • Gillette Slim
  • Gillette Super Adjustable
  • Merkur Progress
  • Merkur Futur.
  • QShave
  • Mingshi
  • Yintal
  • Blades Grim
  • Vikings Blade
  • Parker Variant
  • Feather Adjustable
  • Rex Ambassador

^^^^ This ^^^^

But don't over-think an adjustable. When you do any experiment, you need to have many constants. That way any change in the end results are a direct result of the variable.

When I was learning I started with one soap and razor and blade. That's all I used for a week. Then I changed something, but only one thing (whether it was the razor or the blade or the soap). Then I'd give it a week on that and see how it went. In many cases I'm still doing that but my technique has gotten much better so my experimenting can now go for months.

The thing about an adjustable razor is that it becomes very tempting and oftentimes too easy to change. I made the mistake of changing my adjustable way too many times during the same shave and I was starting to wonder what I was doing wrong until I revised my testing methods.

So that's it really. Get a razor. Get some soap. Get some blades (I found the "one tuck of many brands" multi-pack the best). Get shaving :)

Purchase a razor. If you want inexpensive, try a Baili. Buy a soap. Try Proraso or Cella or even VDH. Buy a brush. There are decent brushes to be had in the $10 to $20 range. Get a “Sample pack of blades. Try each blade for at least three shaves before you move onto the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot figure out what razor to get. Seems like everyone has a different opinion on everything. I've been looking at this stuff for weeks and am more torn than ever by all the choices. Part of me actually wonders if there really is even a difference between most of the razors out there or if it's just in one's head like a placebo effect. I think as long as one uses a decent blade and has good technique it will produce a good shave. All a razor does basically is hold a blade. No offense but I think a lot of the people here, myself included, must have some kind of mental disorder. I mean that only half-jokingly. Maybe I really do need that Psycho Tech after all.
As several here have said, once you have developed your technique, the main thing to consider is what some call "aggressiveness", but what I think of as blade feel. I don't want to feel so much blade that I need to use an absolutely feather-light touch at all times and the slightest slip will result in disaster, but I don't want to feel I have to press into the skin at all, either. I want to use gentle but smooth strokes with the weight of the razor providing all the pressure I need on the down stroke, and a similar feel on the upstroke. You will get used to the right feel and sound with time and many or maybe even any of the razors listed here.

Seems like everyone has a different opinion on everything.
That's because there isn't a "perfect" razor/blade combination that works for everybody.

I've stayed out of your threads (until now) because I had the feeling that throwing another suggestion at you was only going to confuse things. Looks like that's exactly what happened. :wink2:

But, I will suggest (as others have done) that you use your Baili until you have a good idea about what constitutes a good shave. Refining your technique isn't just about how to handle the razor, but includes things like learning about your face (such as skin type, face mapping, etc.), pre-shave routine, building a good lather, post-shave routine, etc.

That probably sounds like a chore, but you'll have to figure those things out for yourself. Nobody here can predict what will work for you with certainty.

I cannot figure out what razor to get. Seems like everyone has a different opinion on everything. I've been looking at this stuff for weeks and am more torn than ever by all the choices. Part of me actually wonders if there really is even a difference between most of the razors out there or if it's just in one's head like a placebo effect. I think as long as one uses a decent blade and has good technique it will produce a good shave. All a razor does basically is hold a blade. No offense but I think a lot of the people here, myself included, must have some kind of mental disorder. I mean that only half-jokingly. Maybe I really do need that Psycho Tech after all.
There are so many good choices out there, especially good value choices. I'd recommend you try out a vintage and a modern razor. For example, Gillette Slim Twist and Razorock GC68(mild) or GC84(more aggressive). That ought to start you in a good place.

I started with a mild razor Wilkinson Sword Classic and then moved to another mild razor and never felt the need to tray anything else. Now, a Tech is all I need and use.

People have been shaving with Gillette Techs for over 75 years, considering a mild razor is a preference, not a weakness.

Remember the grass is greener on the other side, but it almost always isn't. Perfect what you got and enjoy the experience.

They may all look very similar and hold the same blades but all razors will have their own personality. They will all get the job done but differing weights, balance points, blade gaps, blade exposure, blade angle, handle finishes, handle length and materials they will all feel slightly different. Not to mention the historical or personal significance that one may attach to a particular model. There are a lot of factors but as others have said the main thing is getting started. Only then can you zero in on your personal preferences.

And remember; a man doesn’t choose a razor, it’s the razor that chooses the man. Go out and find the one that speaks to you. You will know when you’ve found the right one!

Have fun!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
get the piccolo and you'll find out for yourself :a17: my favorite mid-level totally smooth blades are the Gillette Rubie or the Bolzanos. you may see some bad reviews of bolzanos on B&B but for some reason they seem to work great in my Fatips (and i've seen others post the same opinion), or maybe it's just because they sound italian.

Bolzanos are wonderful in my Fatip, Joris and Schöne razors. :thumbup1:

They may all look very similar and hold the same blades but all razors will have their own personality. They will all get the job done but differing weights, balance points, blade gaps, blade exposure, blade angle, handle finishes, handle length and materials they will all feel slightly different. Not to mention the historical or personal significance that one may attach to a particular model. There are a lot of factors but as others have said the main thing is getting started. Only then can you zero in on your personal preferences.

And remember; a man doesn’t choose a razor, it’s the razor that chooses the man. Go out and find the one that speaks to you. You will know when you’ve found the right one!

Have fun!

I love that last part you wrote. So cool! Thank you

I hear you, OP. In my opinion, there is no wrong choice. If you have no idea of what you like or want, you just have to start somewhere.

I usually recommend the Rockwell 6c for three reasons. One, it's a mild shaver in general, and I think that learning to shave with something mild can remove a lot of fear one may have. Two, the different plates can allow you to explore the shave from very mild to moderate. Three, you can find a lot of opinions about how other razors compare to a Rockwell. This can help guide any future purchase (e.g., "Razor ABC is as smooth as a Rockwell on 4 but more efficient" or "Razor ABC is more efficient than a Rockwell on 6 but as smooth as a 4", etc). To be fair, other recommended razors so far also have plenty of comparisons. This is part of why there is no wrong choice (if you buy within your budget).

After one year of DE shaving, I now have 9 razors, both modern and vintage. My advice for a newbie is to buy a modern open comb and a modern closed comb and see which one works best for you. I started with closed combs and then got bolder and moved on to open combs. My favorites now are open combs and my ultimate favorite is a 1934 Gillette Aristocrat, which combines open comb and TTO. Technique is very important, probably the most important factor in getting a good shave.

If I could do it all over again, I'd start with a Gillette Tech and spend my savings on a couple of soaps to try. Like many I began with a DE89 and ended up purchasing a Merkur 34C soon after. I used Williams mug soap from my local store and a Razorock synthetic brush. Tried a bunch of blades which is a personal and necessary step. Once I tried a vintage Gillette I knew that there was no going back.

Nowadays my first two razors sit in my collection to be used a few times a year, mostly for nostalgia. Get a $10 Tech and two or three classic soaps to try, a synthetic brush and a sample pack of blades. This is the best beginners kit IMO and the items are forever useful even years down the road.

I cannot figure out what razor to get. Seems like everyone has a different opinion on everything...
If you are looking for consensus, there really isn't any. You are just going to hear about everybody's favorites.

You currently have a Baili BD179 TTO, or similar, right? So, you want a change. What is it you don't like about what you have now?

Once your technique is down, any razor will get you to where you want to be.

Some are smoother than others, some take less passes, some have been constructed with better materials and some are just prettier and more collectible than others.

Mastering technique can take months or even years for some. When your technique is down, you’ll be able to get BBS with a razor constructed of popsicle sticks and duct tape.

I absolutely agree with this 100%. I see so many people arguing the toss about which razor is best and what blade goes best and all the arguments about 'I can't get good results with this blade/razor' etc.

It really is technique that comes first. Once that is attained its just a personal preference as to what razor a person uses. I chance my choice of razor regularly because I have a few but they all do the same thing.

Hey, @ElonsMusk , more than three dozen really good and comprehensive answers here, and you know why? The responders have all done the field work you are currently overwhelmed by, and even though we will all happily share our findings with you, ours will probably not match yours - not now, and maybe not ever.
Some vendor (sorry, I can't remember who, right now) states their razors are "tools, not jewels." Hold that thought - the razor is the tool - you are the craftsman of your own shave. Other tools for consideration are:
blades (critical)
lather (almost as critical)
water (often underestimated or ignored)
and all of those can change given each's relation to the others.
Now - back to the jewels; I have a few razors with which I do not shave. They sit on shelves. They are fun for me to look at, but they are not the right tools for what I want a razor to do (and I think there is a continuum from jewel to tool along which you must pinpoint your real desire).
And I always recommend looking past initial investment as "sunk costs" and more as tuition in the graduate school of DE shaving.
Best of luck.
You can do this.
Tom

Top Bottom