What's new

I have total DE Razor analysis paralysis

I cannot figure out what razor to get. Seems like everyone has a different opinion on everything. I've been looking at this stuff for weeks and am more torn than ever by all the choices. Part of me actually wonders if there really is even a difference between most of the razors out there or if it's just in one's head like a placebo effect. I think as long as one uses a decent blade and has good technique it will produce a good shave. All a razor does basically is hold a blade. No offense but I think a lot of the people here, myself included, must have some kind of mental disorder. I mean that only half-jokingly. Maybe I really do need that Psycho Tech after all.

Pick something and stop overthinking. Edwin Jagger DE89 is often a good place to start. I have the Muhle version and it's actually excellent, but EJ is cheaper and probably a better bang for buck.

After you pick that, join me in overthinking how to use it:)

There are a ton of options out there in a wide variety of price points. Compounding that, many people have strong opinions about a given razor (positive or negative), but other people's opinions don't necessarily mean that you will have the same opinion or experience.

I don't know that I have a real solution. What I've generally done is figured out that I prefer mild to moderate razors, and periodically buy a new razor to add to an ever-growing collection. Sometimes I find a decent razor, sometimes a good one, sometimes an excellent one, and sometimes a dud (for me).

A lot of it depends on what you want to get out of wet shaving: do you just want a cheap, effective way to shave every day? There are a ton of razors (and brushes, and soaps/creams) that will serve you well for decades. Do you want to experiment with different types of razors, trying out safety bar razors/open comb razors/single edge razors/vintage razors/modern razors and turn it into, essentially, a hobby? If so, you're in the right place!

If you're looking for a cheap, modern razor to get started, a Baili BD179, Merkur safety bar, Edwin Jagger de89/Muhle R89/Gillette Heritage, RazoRock Game Changer (0.68 if you're new to this)/Razorock Mamba 70, or even a Fatip Gentile would all be good places to start. For vintage razors, a Gillette Tech is dirt cheap, easy to find here or on eBay, and shaves excellently. A Flare Tip (butterfly) would be another excellent vintage razor to start with.

It all depends on what you want. Good luck!

I cannot figure out what razor to get. Seems like everyone has a different opinion on everything. I've been looking at this stuff for weeks and am more torn than ever by all the choices. Part of me actually wonders if there really is even a difference between most of the razors out there or if it's just in one's head like a placebo effect. I think as long as one uses a decent blade and has good technique it will produce a good shave. All a razor does basically is hold a blade. No offense but I think a lot of the people here, myself included, must have some kind of mental disorder. I mean that only half-jokingly. Maybe I really do need that Psycho Tech after all.

What do you currently have?

Rockwell 6C is great starting point. You can try different levels of aggression and decide what you like. When you will be ready to buy something of higher quality, made of better material (SS) with tighter tolerancies, there is no problem to find info about which plate on Rockwell is equal to your targer razor.

If your baili with personna works for you then do not fret and be happy.

Ali express or garage sales will give you access to enough affordable alternatives

If your baili with personna works for you then do not fret and be happy.

Ali express or garage sales will give you access to enough affordable alternatives

Yeah, i mean my Baili with Personna is not perfect, but I'm getting exhausted researching this DE stuff. I don't know if I have the patience to try out so lots of different razors.

My reasons for why the regular nickel open comb Fatip Piccolo is a great razor to learn with.- It has a certain handmade character that makes it feel like a vintage razor even though it's brand new. It'll teach you how to load a blade.

And what I think is the most important, and this is for the Piccolo specifically , because the handle is so small and thin you are forced to learn a very delicate fingertip pencil-type grip. With bigger handles you may be more likely to hold them like a hammer or a paint scraper,...but the piccolo will teach you a very zen feeling light-touch no-pressure technique with just your fingertips.

Also it has a sort of adjustable quality in that the aggressiveness varies with blade choice. You can choose GSbs/Platinums or wilkinsons or bolzanos for a milder easy going shave , or pop in a nacet or a feather for a wild thrill ride (although I don't recommend that for a long time, if ever LOL).

My reasons for why the regular nickel open comb Fatip Piccolo is a great razor to learn with.- It has a certain handmade character that makes it feel like a vintage razor even though it's brand new. It'll teach you how to load a blade.

And what I think is the most important, and this is for the Piccolo specifically , because the handle is so small and thin you are forced to learn a very delicate fingertip pencil-type grip. With bigger handles you may be more likely to hold them like a hammer or a paint scraper,...but the piccolo will teach you a very zen feeling light-touch no-pressure technique.

Also it has a sort of adjustable quality in that the aggressiveness varies with blade choice. You can choose GSbs/Platinums or wilkinsons or bolzanos for a milder easy going shave , or pop in a nacet or a feather for a wild thrill ride (although I don't recommend that for a long time, if ever LOL).

"wild thrill ride" Are we still talking about shaving here...? LOL

"wild thrill ride" Are we still talking about shaving here...? LOL
get the piccolo and you'll find out for yourself :a17: my favorite mid-level totally smooth blades are the Gillette Rubie or the Bolzanos. you may see some bad reviews of bolzanos on B&B but for some reason they seem to work great in my Fatips (and i've seen others post the same opinion), or maybe it's just because they sound italian.

Last edited:
The choice can be bewildering but don’t get stressed out about it. Just pick whichever of the suggestions you like the look of, relax and enjoy learning how to use it. If you feel like broadening your horizons later or you don’t get on with your first choice, you can pick something else out and try that for a while. It should be an enjoyable and relaxing way to shave once you know what you’re doing. It shouldn’t be a stressful experience.

The choice can be bewildering but don’t get stressed out about it. Just pick whichever of the suggestions you like the look of, relax and enjoy learning how to use it. If you feel like broadening your horizons later or you don’t get on with your first choice, you can pick something else out and try that for a while. It should be an enjoyable and relaxing way to shave once you know what you’re doing. It shouldn’t be a stressful experience.
I concur. Any of the razors suggested on here for beginners will be a good fit. As long as you don't go in with something like an R41 on your first go, there's not much to worry about. As long as you have a mild-middling aggression razor, then your technique and to a lesser extent your blade choice will matter more than the razor itself. Getting to know your face and building up good technique is more important.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Avi
R

romsitsa

It’s like finding a fitting shoe, suggestions won’t save you from trying out different razors. For eg. I bought everything till I figured out what I’ll like, then let the unwanted ones go.

Adam

Yeah, i mean my Baili with Personna is not perfect, but I'm getting exhausted researching this DE stuff. I don't know if I have the patience to try out so lots of different razors.
Razor blades do the work so trying different blades may be your best progression. After that getting another razor will be easier if you set a budget; there are too many choices out there if you don't set criteria.

“I think as long as one uses a decent blade and has good technique it will produce a good shave.”

Ding ding ding. There are lots of good mild to moderate razors that will work perfectly fine and last a lifetime for most people. Plenty have already been listed by others as recommendations. Just don’t start with something that’s known to be really aggressive and then learn to use what you have. I started with the EJ DE89 and in all honesty is all I really needed.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Like many I started with a Fatboy and soon I acquired a variety of razors including open comb, closed comb, two piece, three piece, TTO, SE, Feather AC DX, and a straight. I do not have a strict rotation, I just use the razor I want. I soon realised I was never choosing the Fatboy which revealed the truth, that I did not really like it, so I sold it because adjustables are just not for me. Next I realised that the TTOs in general were not being chosen for use, so some were sold, I kept the Red Tip and the Rocket HD 500 but I rarely use them. Simple frequency of use has revealed that I prefer two and three piece non TTO open comb razors, so that is all I would now consider buying apart from some oddities like the Eclipse Red Ring and the Henckels Henso which I love. It has been fun finding out what I like, and also trying and discarding what I do not. That is how I discovered which of the bewildering array of razors I prefer, ended up with a great selection that I enjoy using, and most importantly, had fun in the process, fun that I would not have had if I had immediately bought my perfect razor and left it at that, because fun is what this hobby is all about. As a bonus, as I bought used vintage razors, I recovered my investment in the ones I sold. Good luck.

The problem you rarely start with a perfect matching razor, blade, technique, soap, brush etc
And even if you did there is no benchmark hence you want to see if it could be done better.

If I had known everything I would have bought a lot less stuff but also would have missed a trip

If you like the baili but want a bit bigger more agressive venture into
A a used gilette slim
B a new qshave futul

They will not cost the bank and give a bit more flexibility

Top Bottom