What's new

I have to

Hello fellow wetshavers arround the world,
yesterday i got the shocking and saddening news that Tabac has reformulated their classic shaving soap. As i have read, the tallow and coconut oil was taken out, and even the fabulous scent was changed to something more straight ahead. Me being a true tabac lover (soap and aftershave splash) was already searching the internet far and wide yesterday night to find some old refill pucks. I eventually did find some, but wasn’t sure if they maybe didn’t update the ingredients in the products description. So i didn’t wanted to risk the possibility to receive the new one and having to return it again via mail. Then i went slightly into acceptance that its over with tabac and i just went to bed that night. The next morning (today) after church and lunch, i figured that i needed a shave and lathered up with my tabac shaving soap in the white ceramic bowl. I wanted to put this soap to the test again, even after all the time of shaving with it, and loaded my Mühle silvertip badger brush really heavy and added a great amount of water to it. Out came the most rich, dense, hydrated and slick lather that have seen in a long long time. Lately i have been using a lot of different stuff, so coming back to this and combined with the heavy load, the outcome was just marvelous. Then during the shave this thought struck me „ and you really want this to be replaced by something that has been messed with?“. In just a second, my decision fell: NO! I don’t want this to be replaced by a veggy hippie version. I want the origina! Then i remembered that just a few months ago, i visited a big shopping center here in Germany which is called Kaufhof (buyyard) which is right were i live, and there i saw a whole section for wetshaving products including toobs and other good stuff. The great news is that i found a Tabac section there which was filled with all their lineup including hairtonic, bathing soap and a lot REFILL PUCKS of our lovely original soap for 9€ a piece. I really believe that they must have been the old ones still, because people dont buy stuff like that anymore in Germany. So i will head to Heidelberg tomorrow in hope to find at least 4-5 original pucks. The thought that im about to spent 40-50€ on shaving soap even though i have a bathroom full of other soaps just seems so stupid to me, but that shave today proof me otherwise. Hope it was as funny reading this as it was writing! Cheers

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Good read, I know how you feel. I bought some of the tallow version when I heard of the change. I haven't tried the new version yet but it doesn't seem bad from some trusted testers.

Have fun shopping at Galeria Kaufhof in Heidelburg and I hope they have what you are looking for, the old formula!

Here is a label with the NEW version.
img_1268-jpg.1325903

Thank you for this picture! Yes, i hope to find the good ol tallow version tomorrow. Im somehow glad that you heard of people liking the new version, because no matter what, someday we all going to run out and have to get a new version puck. Better be good! But until then might be a long long time to go (hopefully). Greeting.

F81E29CA-5872-42BC-B39E-F200A17A15EE.jpeg
Gentlemen, the mission is accomplished. Yesterday i found 3 pucks in the city and today another 2 in a local drugstore. The first ones where 9€ per pice and the ones i bought today 7€ (which was a bargain). I also saw 2 new versions, with no tallow in the ingredients, which i of course didn’t buy. Now i have still some left in the bowl and 5 refill pucks, and the fear is gone haha! A nice little hunt indeed. Tallow!!

View attachment 1340273Gentlemen, the mission is accomplished. Yesterday i found 3 pucks in the city and today another 2 in a local drugstore. The first ones where 9€ per pice and the ones i bought today 7€ (which was a bargain). I also saw 2 new versions, with no tallow in the ingredients, which i of course didn’t buy. Now i have still some left in the bowl and 5 refill pucks, and the fear is gone haha! A nice little hunt indeed. Tallow!!

CONGRATULATIONS!! :a5::a5:

I have 3 Tabac tallow in reserve including one in a 2nd bowl just in case. If I ever see Tabac tallow I'll stockpile. I also have a puck of vegan inbound though so may change my mind if I find it's ok.

It’s kinda sad traditional wet shaving isnt more widespread in the world than it is …the difference for me from Canned foam/gel a cart and going to a good soap/cream and a de razor is night and day …every shave used to hurt with gel and a razor :\ I dreaded it every single day ….now I welcome it and in fact since wet shaving my skin has become noticeably better looking…oof imagine the offerings of soaps and gear we would have if a majority did ..more artisans more mass produced stuff less gel and foam …sigh and now back to reality we are getting less and less artisans a and producers thanks to all this covid stuff 🥺… hmm yes I also like tabac smells like granny’s purse 👜😂 (but I dont mind it) it’s a decent lather as well if heavy handed with loading

I'll let y'all in on a little secret on a little secret I discovered. Fendrihan Robusto shave soap is nearly (if not) identical to Tabac in both scent and performance. It contains tallow and is still available in stock making it a good option for anyone looking for some, but please don't be a *** and buy 50 pucks save some for others as a common courtesy.

Top Bottom