What's new

I have the only Merkur 38C/ Slant Head Razor in the world

Your hybrid looks great! I think I understand part of the assembly procedure, but I'm fuzzy about how the handle and the guard/collet assembly fit together. After you press the collet into the guard, it's flush with the top of the guard but protrudes from the bottom of the guard, right? Is the bottom of the collet a press fit into the top of the handle as well? Do you end up with the guard and the handle as one piece, like a regular Slant or HD?

Thanks,

Yes that is correct basically flush. There is a bit of a flange that seats against the guard. If you have a Merkur Slant you can look at it and see what it ends up looking like from the top of the guard. The portion that protrudes out of the bottom of the guard is pressed into the handle and the guard and handle become one piece. Given enough interest Merkur may feel it is worthwhile to produce them .

+1, Heck +2! Thanks, Jimmy. It certainly beats buying both a Slant and a 38C and butchering one, like we once talked about.

I've just sent an email to Anne and hope to have serial # 2 of the «schräg Vorschlaghammer» ("Slant Sledgehammer").

I had emailed her last Thursday with the pictures of the plating problem on my Vision, and she quickly replied to ship it to them for a replacement, so it was in the mail Friday to them.

So I've asked her for a parts kit, which hopefully they can just include in the same return package as the new Vision, saving some shipping.

I'm sure that eventually even she will get tired of this if she starts getting a lot of requests, so perhaps the local B & B expert on "Group buys" (whoever that might be) could start a survey on interest, and they could do a limited special run of these. After your final reviews, of course. Which I have high confidence will be positive...I must have, I've ordered my parts kit just based on your pictures! Awesome razor! :eek::a14:

Hi Firtz, thanks for the encouragement in our previous conversations on the topic . I think Anne will agree to your request for a kit. It will be even better if Merkur sees enough interest in the product to produce at least a limited run for a group buy. BTW, now that I have put one together from parts I think that trying to tear two apart to end up with one would have destroyed both.

Hi Fritz, thanks for the encouragement in our previous conversations on the topic . I think Anne will agree to your request for a kit. It will be even better if Merkur sees enough interest in the product to produce at least a limited run for a group buy. BTW, now that I have put one together from parts I think that trying to tear two apart to end up with one would have destroyed both.
I see that while I was drooling over your pictures and emailing Anne, you had already started the survey for a group buy by the time I suggested it.
I think now that if you had a Slant and a 38C, if you could just buy two replacement collets from Merkur, you could drill out the old collets and press in the new ones, ending up with a HD and a heavy Slant. But this way is probably better. :cool: And we should ask for a GOLD version too. They already have the Slant parts in gold.

I see that while I was drooling over your pictures and emailing Anne, you had already started the survey for a group buy by the time I suggested it.
I think now that if you had a Slant and a 38C, if you could just buy two replacement collets from Merkur, you could drill out the old collets and press in the new ones, ending up with a HD and a heavy Slant. But this way is probably better. :cool: And we should ask for a GOLD version too. They already have the Slant parts in gold.

I am not sure about drilling them out. If you notice in the photo of the parts the collet is knurled. Also pulling the smooth part out of the handle would be tough without damaging it. Let's hope that the group buy poll bears fruit. If a Merkur distributor can come up with enough definite orders my guess is that the company will make the razor. I am hoping that there is enough interest to stimulate a vendor to step up to the plate.

What a great idea you had and what a great story this is. I hope that you enjoy using this razor!

How many of us can say that we've created our own unique razor out of factory parts? I think you must be the only one.

best regards!

Well Done!!!:a14: :a14: :a14:

I love the Slant and also the 38c- so a mix of the two:thumbup:

You really have to admire a company that listen and tries to help out a fan- they may one day produce these hybrids, but until then they at least are willing to allow us to try.

I am posting this to express my deep admiration and gratitude to Anne Rothstein and Merkur and to show you Slant head lovers out there my new Merkur 38C/ Slant. This dream came true today when I got home from work and checked the mail.
Back at the end of May I inquired to Merkur and asked if a Slant with a 38C handle might be forthcoming. I was told by Anne that unfortunately there were no plans for such an item.

I looked at my Slant and my 38C and I could see that the heads could be interchanged. Having heard that Merkur's customer service is second to none I then asked Ms. Rothstein if Merkur would sell the parts to me unassembled. I told her that I am handy with tools and that I was sure that I could accomplish the task. She graciously complied with my request for a 38C/ Slant 'do it yourself kit' and after about 30 minutes and a slight case of butterflies in the stomach it was done and I will be shaving in the morning with a Merkur Slant with a 38C handle !

It sure looks nice Jimmy. I want one. I love my 38C. I have been shaving with it for the last two weeks and it is nice. I can imagine how nice a 38c slant would be. I am going to talk to ann rothstein about your kit. I hope i can get one.

Best of luck. I heard that they won't sell anymore kits but I don't know for sure. I also heard from a Merkur vendor that something like a Slant/38C will be in regular production sometime after the first of the year.

Ya, I haven't heard back from them yet(2 days). I hope they do start making them. It will be a bit cheaper that way and it will be guaranteed.

Slant_fan
Which vendors mentioned that they would be getting 38c slants this new year? I would like to know so I know where to look after the new year.

Slant_fan
Which vendors mentioned that they would be getting 38c slants this new year? I would like to know so I know where to look after the new year.

Here is the thread where I first gave that info. I just realized that your screen name is Merkurguy ! A kindred spirit although I love my Gillettes and my Apollos too.

Thankfully, Slant-Fan and a few others won't be the only ones with this blade for too much longer.

(An email response to an inquiry about a long-handled slant)

We are planning on a slant version of the # 38 barberpole handled razor for late spring/early summer 2008.

Best regards,
Anne Rothstein
MERKUR Stahlwaren GmbH & Co. KG

Thanks to Jimmy and Fritz for giving birth to the 39C Slant. It is extremely cool to read how the members of this group were instrumental in getting that razor into production.

Gentlemen, I salute you.

Good job on the custom modification.

I'm still holding out for Merkur to introduce a barber-pole gold slant. Resistance is *not* futile.

-- John Gehman

Yes, we need a gold plated 39C. Are you listening Merkur? Please?

Top Bottom