What's new

I have started to use non to low lathering creams as a pre-shave

Like Cremo and King of Shave are really supposed to be used as a primary shaving cream - but I have found them to be great preshaves. Add something like a Proraso Green shave soap and it really makes for a smooth shave. No irritation, nicks, cuts or issues.

Agree - I really don't like them as shaving creams and so use them for preshave. I have found Mitchell's to be an excellent preshave as well.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It’s great when you find something that just works. Stick with it and enjoy.

Have used Cremo (in the tube) almost daily as a preshave. I really can’t imagine using it on its own for shaving but it works great as a preshave.

Have used Cremo (in the tube) almost daily as a preshave. I really can’t imagine using it on its own for shaving but it works great as a preshave.
Do you remove the Pre-shave before applying the shaving cream or do you apply it on top then shave?

Like Cremo and King of Shave are really supposed to be used as a primary shaving cream - but I have found them to be great preshaves. Add something like a Proraso Green shave soap and it really makes for a smooth shave. No irritation, nicks, cuts or issues.

have you ever tried using a glycerin soap as preshave??

d.r. harris almond merkur feather santa maria novella ach brito glyce january 9 2019.jpg

Do you remove the Pre-shave before applying the shaving cream or do you apply it on top then shave?
I apply the lather right over the thin layer of Cremo. I find I don’t need a second application as a preshave when I lather for my second pass. Works for me.

I have been using Miss My Face brand shaving cream as a pre-shave the same way as Starsky has described for the past few months with excellent results.

That sounds like a great idea. I have a bunch of brushless shave cream samples. I will give this a try!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have had great success using body soap as a preshave in the shower under canned foam. Works much better than either alone. Duh, I guess that is pretty obvious, lol.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I've tried using brushless shave creams (Neutrogena and Dove for Men) as pre-shaves. Neither made a difference. They're pretty good for shaving when I'm in a hurry, though.

A while back, someone suggested using hair conditioner as a pre-shave; that makes a real difference for me. FWIW, I use a penny-size squirt of Pantene for Thick Hair, rub it between my palms and then work it into my beard. I leave it on, then lather up. Works better than lather alone, and certainly better than the product I had been using as a pre-shave, Noxzema.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've tried using brushless shave creams (Neutrogena and Dove for Men) as pre-shaves. Neither made a difference. They're pretty good for shaving when I'm in a hurry, though.

A while back, someone suggested using hair conditioner as a pre-shave; that makes a real difference for me. FWIW, I use a penny-size squirt of Pantene for Thick Hair, rub it between my palms and then work it into my beard. I leave it on, then lather up. Works better than lather alone, and certainly better than the product I had been using as a pre-shave, Noxzema.
My dad used Noxzema sometimes when I was a kid. I have too, kinda works a bit for me. He had a very light beard, like my son. They could be clones. Weird.

have you ever tried using a glycerin soap as preshave??
Yes, but it was not a shaving soap, as such.
I rubbed on some Pear's Transparent Glycerin soap, brushed on some other lather on top of it and started to shave.
Yeow!
proxy.php

About 1/3 of the way through the first pass I had to stop and hose it off. It stung like acid.
I think it was something to do with the whatever provides the weird scent in Pear's.
Like turpentine?

The other night I used a sample packet of "Anthony"shave cream.
It definitely isn't meant to make lather, but it was nice and slick.
And it smelled strongly like a peppermint candy cane.

Last edited:
Yes, but it was not a shaving soap, as such.
I rubbed on some Pear's Transparent Glycerin soap, brushed on some other lather on top of it and started to shave.
Yeow!
proxy.php

About 1/3 of the way through the first pass I had to stop and hose it off. It stung like acid.
I think it was something to do with the whatever provides the weird scent in Pear's.
Like turpentine?

The other night I used a sample packet of "Anthony"shave cream.
It definitely isn't meant to make lather, but it was nice and slick.
And it smelled strongly like a peppermint candy cane.

Ouch!

You might try neutrogena facial translucent soap. I face lather it then lightly rinse before applying shave lather.

With your high sensitivity you definitely should test on small patch first!

Ouch!
You might try neutrogena facial translucent soap. I face lather it then lightly rinse before applying shave lather.
With your high sensitivity you definitely should test on small patch first!
The thing is, my facial skin is not very sensitive. It can take a lot of abuse, from soaps, dull blades, alcohol splashes, etc.
It's just the Pear's that affects it so.
I never use a pre-shave anyway, and the Pear's was just a science experiment.

Top Bottom