What's new

I have ordered a Vostok

I'm definitely interested in Automatic movements. I have a Bertucci watch, which is quartz. Its a great rugged watch. The battery died, I've been lazy. Its now sitting in a drawer...
I have two watches in the drawer needing battery... I know the situation.

Most automatic movements seem to have some faulty ones. Even among the Seiko 5 reviews you find surprisingly many that broke. This mean that even an automatic movement watch might end up in the drawer regardless of brand.

The newest Casio watches (Edifice series) need a battery about every 10 years, even for the analog ones. That means they might last longer than automatic movements.

I would go for the Vostok--quartz watches have no soul--

Rationally thinking, a watch does not need to have a soul, it only needs to reliably show the time. That part quartz do well, even better than most other alternatives. But I fully agree with you, that is why I ordered the Vostok. Vostok gives a little bit of extra spice.

This thread makes me miss my old Scuba Dude :(

There's a few sellers of aftermarket bezels (that let you use traditional bezel inserts - Dave Murphy & Boris_gvb), that totally change the "feel" of the watch. I would recommend :)

Welcome to the Vostock owners club komrade. I'm sure it will serve you well. Don't worry about the 'cheap build' remarks, these time pieces get lots of mileage. Just see how Lt Gen Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov's stuff did.

An automatic is the only thing I'll wear, with the sole exception of a single Tag Heuer Formula 1.

Myself also. The only quartz I have now is a Tissot Nicky Hayden. I love the feel of a mechanical movement, both automatic and hand wind. (And I know if I wind it it will ALWAYS tell time)

I had my Scuba dude apart yesterday just to see how it was made. All I can say is, built like a tank and for the money well built. In fact I've ordered another orange scuba dude to keep on the metal strap. And (Don't tell the wife) I have a Vostok Megapolisis in black coming as well. So here's a pic of my watch collection, As you can see the top row is all Vostok apart form the German digital on the end which I use to set them all by and my new Eco drive citizen.

$My watches.jpg$IMG_20150603_145404.jpg

Legion

Staff member
I had my Scuba dude apart yesterday just to see how it was made. All I can say is, built like a tank and for the money well built. In fact I've ordered another orange scuba dude to keep on the metal strap. And (Don't tell the wife) I have a Vostok Megapolisis in black coming as well. So here's a pic of my watch collection, As you can see the top row is all Vostok apart form the German digital on the end which I use to set them all by and my new Eco drive citizen.

I've ordered some rubber seals from Russia to re seal my old soviet Amphibia. I'll do that myself.

I have a new Auto Amphibia on order. I'm curious to see what it is like.

Personally I like them. Just in case you cant tell. For the money they worth every penny. They look good, feel good on the wrist and more folk as about what's that on your wrist then when I'm wearing my Eco drive. If the break, keep for parts buy another. I've forgot to mention the AM watches either on the bay or their own site do loads of different coloured bezels and straps.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
proxy.php

It finally arrived!

I am pleased so far. Seems solid, keeps good time. The band was crap, but I expected that. I put on the Maratac that came off my busted Omega for now, but I have ordered a rubber strap to see if I get on with rubber straps. Might look into a bezel mod next.

Oh, and the new seals arrived for my vintage Amphibia, and I was able to put them in without issues, so hopefully that one is tickety boo now as well.

Mine has been working well too and depending on what I do the watch is everything from completely accurate to about 4s too fast in a day.

Still I might put my watch for sale as I realized I would want another model of the Amphibia... I definitely want to continue with Vostok Amphibia.

proxy.php

It finally arrived!

I am pleased so far. Seems solid, keeps good time. The band was crap, but I expected that. I put on the Maratac that came off my busted Omega for now, but I have ordered a rubber strap to see if I get on with rubber straps. Might look into a bezel mod next.

Oh, and the new seals arrived for my vintage Amphibia, and I was able to put them in without issues, so hopefully that one is tickety boo now as well.

If you can get hold of one, get a Vostok silicone strap. Theyre soft to touch almost silky in feel but quite durable. Very smart as well.

Great looking Vostock. Been toying with the idea of that case shape.

Yesterday I went snorkeling again. This time I went down to 8 meter (until the bottom where I snorkeled) and the Vostok Amphibia worked as a charm. The more I am having my Vostok, the more pleased I am with it.

I have been wearing smart watches the past year or so (Sony SW 2, then Moto 360) so I haven't been wearing my other watches fr a while. But this thread rekindled my watch interest so just ordered this one:

$russian-military-vostok-komandirskie-tank-watch-211306.jpg

I have been wearing smart watches the past year or so (Sony SW 2, then Moto 360) so I haven't been wearing my other watches fr a while. But this thread rekindled my watch interest so just ordered this one:

View attachment 592716
Nice! Yesterday again I went snorkeling with mine. When it comes to truly watertight watches, they are really good for the price.

Just ordered the Vostok Amphibia, the one Steve Zissou had in "the Life Aquatic". I have had my eye on it for a while but am not a watch collector and I already had a Timex Weekender that I really loved. I left it on kayaking the a week ago thinking it was water resistant and it's not; finally died today. I had submerged it several times hand pushing off of rocks, we were paddling a pretty bony creek.
Anyway, it gave me an excuse to order this. I will put the NATO strap from my Timex on it instead of using the clunky metal bracelet, I think it will be a cool waterproof timepiece.

Just ordered the Vostok Amphibia, the one Steve Zissou had in "the Life Aquatic". I have had my eye on it for a while but am not a watch collector and I already had a Timex Weekender that I really loved. I left it on kayaking the a week ago thinking it was water resistant and it's not; finally died today. I had submerged it several times hand pushing off of rocks, we were paddling a pretty bony creek.
Anyway, it gave me an excuse to order this. I will put the NATO strap from my Timex on it instead of using the clunky metal bracelet, I think it will be a cool waterproof timepiece.

The watertightness of Vostok Amphibias depends on the rubber gaskets. By the time, the rubber gaskets becomes old they might cause the Amphibia to leak water. Old rubber might become hard and develop cracks. Before each season, you better check up the gaskets. New gaskets can easily be ordered here ($3.90 + shipping) : http://meranom.com/amphibian-classi...bber-seals-set-to-vostok-amphibian-watch.html
Meranom is the only place I know having all 3 rubber gaskets.

The watertightness of Vostok Amphibias depends on the rubber gaskets. By the time, the rubber gaskets becomes old they might cause the Amphibia to leak water. Old rubber might become hard and develop cracks. Before each season, you better check up the gaskets. New gaskets can easily be ordered here ($3.90 + shipping) : http://meranom.com/amphibian-classi...bber-seals-set-to-vostok-amphibian-watch.html
Meranom is the only place I know having all 3 rubber gaskets.
good to know! Thanks for the tip, I will order some of those.

Top Bottom