What's new

I have crossed to the dark side.

I favored my Mach 3 over the Future and a few other DE razors. None seemed to work well for me.

Until I tried the GEMS on my shelf (overlooked) ....Much better for me.

But then again I am new to all this here.

DE seemed to work well for me, until I tried the GEMs in my closet :laugh:

P

Pjotr

They're also affordable too. You can buy a century old cased razor for not a lot of money. They look cool too. A bit Gothic. I haven't shaved with one yet but I've just bought my third one off e-bay here in Australia. Got 100 blades arriving too.

I'm not going crazy right? SEs are the new fad on here? I admit I've been swept up into it the past few months (no more DEs left!), but was wondering if I had only been noticing more SE posts simply because I was looking for them.

Anyways, glad you're on-board, Scott!

There's a few more posts, but still a minority. I wouldn't say it's a fad. For myself anyway, I'll TRY something if there's a lot of buzz on the forum, but if it doesn't work for me, I have no interest. The SEs just WORK. I get a better shave period. I'm still experimenting with my DEs, but I usually wind up rubbing my face and thinking hmm, I could have dome better with an SE. They are probably not for everyone, but hey, what is?

There's a few more posts, but still a minority. I wouldn't say it's a fad. For myself anyway, I'll TRY something if there's a lot of buzz on the forum, but if it doesn't work for me, I have no interest. The SEs just WORK. I get a better shave period. I'm still experimenting with my DEs, but I usually wind up rubbing my face and thinking hmm, I could have dome better with an SE. They are probably not for everyone, but hey, what is?

Exactly how I feel. SEs are just businesslike. Everything else in the shave is the luxury (brush, cream/soap, AS/ASB), but the razor just removes hair from the face. And my SE's do it more easily, more quickly, and with nearly no irritation every single time.

Dark side, you're actually closer to shaving enlightenment now. I still use DE's but a straight is my happy place. When I can get a BBS shave from a clam shell or a rock I've sharpened I will finally be done searching.

BTW: I like the "Don't Fear the Razor" post. BOC!

. . . If I am not careful I will be trying a straight next.:scared:

Luc, Mark, Brian, Jay, don't get any ideas just yet.:ohmy:

Scott, that is exactly what happened to me!!!

The GEMs are great . . . I couldn't believe how good they were when I tried one!

The next logical progression is to the straight!

Just wish there were more blade choices for an SE. I use a slant with a Feather blade and can't find an SE razor/blade combo that compares. I suppose if someone would invent a way to "hone your own" SE blade that would be a real breakthrough. Slants are great that way but with not blade guard, yikes!

I'm trying to like the SE, but it just isn't doing it for me (yet). I had my 2nd shave about 1 hour ago with the SE. Was better than shave #1, but still not anywhere close to what I get out of the disposable I usually use. SE shave #1 was wretched, SE shave #2 was better, but still poor compared to what I get out of my Schick disposable.

Maybe I'm just meant to use cartridges.

Beerman

Top Bottom