What's new

I have been tasked by SWMBO *Calling for help*

Are you looking for an automatic, or is that your swmbo's request? I would just note that the automatic will be heavier and thicker as compared to a slim quartz, to the point that you may not wear it, especially if you are not a watch person committed to wearing it each day. I like my Seiko Monster but am always pleasantly surprised about how something like a Timex Weekender disappears on the wrist in comparison.

Citizen Eco-Drive Solar Atomic.

Set DST, set the time zone, and never set it again.

$citizenSA.jpg

Howsabout a Hamilton Khaki. Fairly streamline and simple face. Not overwhelming in size. And a very nice automatic watch movement from a very respected watch maker. Here's mine, which will be a bit different than the one the seller has:

$SOTCMay11011.jpg

And here's a place selling one at a price well within your range: http://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-khaki--mens-watch-h69419363.html

btw, easy to swap out the band to a leather one if needed. And it looks like the same seller has the same watch with strap as mine for under $400.

You might also look at Tissots to see if one with an automatic move is available in your price range. Also a great brand.

Last edited:
Are you looking for an automatic, or is that your swmbo's request? I would just note that the automatic will be heavier and thicker as compared to a slim quartz, to the point that you may not wear it, especially if you are not a watch person committed to wearing it each day. I like my Seiko Monster but am always pleasantly surprised about how something like a Timex Weekender disappears on the wrist in comparison.

The automatic part was all my doing, I dont mind wearing heavy watches, I have in the past, I just havent worn one in over 3 years. The watch I currently have wouldnt be appropriate for my current job, thats why I am looking for a more "adult" simplistic watch.

Howsabout a Hamilton Khaki. Fairly streamline and simple face. Not overwhelming in size. And a very nice automatic watch movement from a very respected watch maker. Here's mine, which will be a bit different than the one the seller has:

View attachment 360688

And here's a place selling one at a price well within your range: http://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-khaki--mens-watch-h69419363.html

btw, easy to swap out the band to a leather one if needed. And it looks like the same seller has the same watch with strap as mine for under $400.

You might also look at Tissots to see if one with an automatic move is available in your price range. Also a great brand.

That is a gorgeous watch

I love my Hamilton Khaki Field Auto. Here's the link to Hamilton for some good studio shots. This watch punches above its paygrade in just about every way. It dresses up nicely on a leather band and dresses down on a NATO/ZULU. I have been wearing mine hard for three years and the movement settled in to running about +4s.

I've been saving up for a Speedmaster, but this Hammy has been so reliable that I'm rethinking buying a new watch.

Sorry for the blurry shot. I've never been good at watch pics.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you never wear a watch (and a lot of younger guys these days don't), why would you put one on a wish list? I would think you would rather put things on a wish list you really want, rather than something to please a woman.

If you are determined to get a watch, I would suggest a Citizen Eco-Drive or other solar powered quartz watches. Very low maintenance and accurate.

Good luck.

C Larry C for good advice.

If her price range is $50--$400, tell her to buy you a $20 watch at Walmart and just hand you the $480 in cash. :ohmy:

... but seriously, when you say you already have two watches that don't have working batteries, that tells me you don't wear watches much. IF you really actually *need* a watch or two, I strongly encourage you to look at the Citizen Eco-Drive, as they are solar-powered quartz ... leave them on a window sill when not being worn and they stay charged. Also, some of them are "atomic" too ... meaning that daily they sync with the pulse sent out by the atomic clock, so that they are always the "right" time (well, they won't change the hour for you if you drive from Victoria to Calgary. But they will keep you from drifting a few seconds "off" here and there until you are a few minutes off after a month &c.)

(Not all Eco-Drive are "atomic" too, so be sure you specify that if you want it.)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Why do watches need to have a date window that shows more than one day? The original poster shows a watch and it is the 8th of some month . . . wow great to look down and see that the day after today is the 9th. . . .

Then again I do like the red second hand.

More disturbing to me would be seeing that the next day was going to be the 31st when in fact it should be the 1st. It would upset the cosmos. Much less what happens at the end of February.

$6ba55494adafc8d2314b40c00b5c7269.jpgI know this one is out of my price range by a little bit. Exactly the style I am looking for, very minimalistic with a little flair. But what do yall think of the Oris watches?

I have an Oris that I bought at a jewelry shop in the Grand Cayman Islands. Oris are great watches, offering a lot of value for the price and a great deal of variety (great looking dive watches and also nice dress watch designs). Unfortunately, they are a bit of of the price range (most start above $1,000).

$SOTCMay11007.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Why do watches need to have a date window that shows more than one day? The original poster shows a watch and it is the 8th of some month . . . wow great to look down and see that the day after today is the 9th. . . .

Then again I do like the red second hand.

Well, I just looked at my watch and saw that it's two o'clock on the 27th. Now, my watch didn't tell me what tomorrow's date will be, but it DID tell me that it will be three o'clock once it's done being two o'clock. Heck, it's got all twelve "o'clocks" right there on the face staring at me, in order.

:001_tt2:

Top Bottom