What's new

I have a theory on why multi-blade cartridges last longer.

Ahem. My theory is that it's purely a numbers game. The first blade dulls first and then the second blade dulls and so on down the cartridge. The more blades you have the longer it takes to dull each blade in it's turn and so the longer the cartridge lasts. That is my theory which belongs to me.

Genius. You've essentially pointed out that 3 or 5 blades SHOULD last longer than one. Now, I'm just sitting here wondering why didn't I think of that?

Thank you Chris you're most kind to appreciate my theory that it is. I have another theory about the brontosaurus.

In my experience multi-blades enable comfortable rapid buffing strokes WTG without causing irritation. -Especially around the lower jaw/neck area, where, in the quest for 'closeness,' single blade razors inevitably give rise to irritation and can dull blades quicker.

My theory being: 'Two or three bites at the same cherry, at the same time, are better than one.'

Attachments

• Photo-0156.jpg
    Photo-0156.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Who says multi-blade cartridges last any longer?
Brontosaurus?
I'm afraid to ask!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
My theory is that they are so expensive wishful thinking takes over and you believe that a cart is still good despite all evidence to the contrary.

BTW if your theory is that a brontosaurus invented the first shaving soap then I think I beat you to It.

Fun question! Blades actually "dull" through microchipping/cracking is what some MIT materials scientists found in their research. See this: Why shaving dulls even the sharpest of razors - https://news.mit.edu/2020/why-shaving-dulls-razors-0806.

Gillette says their Proglide lasts up to a month of shaves, but doesn't define a shave- is it daily ?, one pass WTG ?, they don't say. My guess is that by designing their multi blade heads in a way to minimize the approach angle through reducing user error, and consequently the stress on the cutting edge of the blades, they believe they've effectively reduced the amount of wear and tear and prolonged the useful life of a cartridge. I've never used one of the Proglides, so have no personal take on it. Perhaps, those of you who do use these carts might weigh in.

The OP postulates that it's the first edge that gets dulled first. I'd say that makes sense, if the blades are designed to always cut in a 1,2,3,4,5, order. But on the other hand, if the numbered edges can cut in a differing order, say by having the the lubricating strip, or what Gillette calls micro-fins, or even user pressure changes result in altering the blade cutting order from 1-5, it might not be the case.

My theory is that they are so expensive wishful thinking takes over and you believe that a cart is still good despite all evidence to the contrary.

BTW if your theory is that a brontosaurus invented the first shaving soap then I think I beat you to It.
How is a cartridge razor bad if someone gets smooth close comfortable shaves and zero irritation with it?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

This is why I kept using a cart for months at a time. 🙁

Fun question! Blades actually "dull" through microchipping/cracking is what some MIT materials scientists found in their research. See this: Why shaving dulls even the sharpest of razors - https://news.mit.edu/2020/why-shaving-dulls-razors-0806.

Gillette says their Proglide lasts up to a month of shaves, but doesn't define a shave- is it daily ?, one pass WTG ?, they don't say. My guess is that by designing their multi blade heads in a way to minimize the approach angle through reducing user error, and consequently the stress on the cutting edge of the blades, they believe they've effectively reduced the amount of wear and tear and prolonged the useful life of a cartridge. I've never used one of the Proglides, so have no personal take on it. Perhaps, those of you who do use these carts might weigh in.

The OP postulates that it's the first edge that gets dulled first. I'd say that makes sense, if the blades are designed to always cut in a 1,2,3,4,5, order. But on the other hand, if the numbered edges can cut in a differing order, say by having the the lubricating strip, or what Gillette calls micro-fins, or even user pressure changes result in altering the blade cutting order from 1-5, it might not be the case.

I can only get three shaves out of a Gillette Fusion so I truly question their month of life claim.

The longest lasting cartridge I have run across is a Microtouch cartridge. I can get at least three weeks of three pass shaves with it. It is only a triple. I mostly use it for travel. A handle and 12 cartridges for about $20.00 probably puts it close to being the most economical.

My Dorco 7 will get me close to three weeks.

Any Schick will get me well over two weeks.

I doubt that the multi-blade aspect by itself has anything to do with why some brands last longer than others.

I can only get three shaves out of a Gillette Fusion so I truly question their month of life claim.

The longest lasting cartridge I have run across is a Microtouch cartridge. I can get at least three weeks of three pass shaves with it. It is only a triple. I mostly use it for travel. A handle and 12 cartridges for about $20.00 probably puts it close to being the most economical.

My Dorco 7 will get me close to three weeks.

Any Schick will get me well over two weeks.

I doubt that the multi-blade aspect by itself has anything to do with why some brands last longer than others.
However I can get about a week and a half with a fusion

i get a week (6 days) of fantastic shaves with vintage gillette sensor carts. For me if a blade can last for 6 shaves its great. Its gets a bit harder to push my NOS Trac II and Atra blades for 6 shaves but i have a very tough stubble.

i get a week (6 days) of fantastic shaves with vintage gillette sensor carts. For me if a blade can last for 6 shaves its great. Its gets a bit harder to push my NOS Trac II and Atra blades for 6 shaves but i have a very tough stubble.
I still have my original sensor handle with some original cartridges in the case. For some reason I liked the trac ii better, that’s why I still have them but that’s just me. Personna trac ii carts last 6 or 7 shaves, gillette carts last longer

I still have my original sensor handle with some original cartridges in the case. For some reason I liked the trac ii better, that’s why I still have them but that’s just me. Personna trac ii carts last 6 or 7 shaves, gillette carts last longer
i went back to carts in 2019 after 6 years of DE shaving and found that i prefer twin blade carts with my favorite being the Sensor. The sensor carts are very sharp yet smooth. I like the Trac II next and then the Atra although these two are almost the same for me. The only thing about the sensor handle is the plastic tabs that hold the cartridge are the weak point in the design and can break. The Trac II is indestructible and even the Atra has metal tabs.

i went back to carts in 2019 after 6 years of DE shaving and found that i prefer twin blade carts with my favorite being the Sensor. The sensor carts are very sharp yet smooth. I like the Trac II next and then the Atra although these two are almost the same for me. The only thing about the sensor handle is the plastic tabs that hold the cartridge are the weak point in the design and can break. The Trac II is indestructible and even the Atra has metal tabs.
I agree about the trac and atra carts

Where's the proof that the lead blade wears faster on a multi-bladed cartridge?

I suggest all the blades wear at the same sequence and speed, assuming they all have contact with whiskers.

Ahem. My theory is that it's purely a numbers game. The first blade dulls first and then the second blade dulls and so on down the cartridge. The more blades you have the longer it takes to dull each blade in it's turn and so the longer the cartridge lasts. That is my theory which belongs to me.

So if you were to Excalibur a 5 blade cartridge- which blade would you be excaliburing with each shave? :facep:

Top Bottom