What's new

I have a question that someone here can help with

My question is based ...On your experience ,,is the DE slant automatically..more aggressive than a non slant when it comes down ,,to ..manufactures and models.....what's the most common,,situation. .....thanks for your time and help......Kevin.....

Last edited:
I don't think that slants are automatically aggressive. I think that there are aggressive and non-aggressive razors just like there are aggressive and non-aggressive slant razors.

They are automatically different from non-slants.

As for whether they're also more aggressive... that depends in part on precisely how you choose to define razor aggressiveness. And on the specific razors in question, since one could certainly envision an ultra-aggressive non-slant razor, and an unusually mild slant razor.

I sometimes hear slant bar razors described as being more efficient (due to design aspects having to do with cutting efficiency) than non-slants. That's probably a more meaningful descriptor than is "more aggressive."

No. I only own one. The RR German 37. I have several razors that I wouldn't categorize as aggressive, that are more aggressive than the 37.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I can only speak to the Merkur 39C Sledgehammer and, no, it is not more aggressive than similar non-slanted Merkurs. In the 37C and 39C, the "slant" comes from way the head twists the blade, but the blade gap is about the same as other Merkurs.

Aggressive and non-aggressive are just relative terms. Get a razor, shave with it and learn to adapt your technique to feel comfortable and get the smoothest shave with it. I have shaved with a bunch of razors that folks have said were aggressive, and have gotten smooth and comfortable shaves. Whether it was a slant, OC, Gem, Feather, etc., get to know the razor first and adapt your technique because the razor will not adjust to you. And don't go changing to a different blade or soap just because you get a bad shave. Learn from it and improve yourself.

They are automatically different from non-slants.

As for whether they're also more aggressive... that depends in part on precisely how you choose to define razor aggressiveness. And on the specific razors in question, since one could certainly envision an ultra-aggressive non-slant razor, and an unusually mild slant razor.

I sometimes hear slant bar razors described as being more efficient (due to design aspects having to do with cutting efficiency) than non-slants. That's probably a more meaningful descriptor than is "more aggressive."

+1. "...different.." But not guaranteed to be more aggressive IMO.

I have a Merkur 34C and a 37C, the 37C is essentially the slant version of a 34C. They feel different when I use them, but it's not an aggressiveness thing. Just that they cut the hairs a little differently, resulting in a different sensation. Can't really say that one does a better job than the other - both do an excellent job.

Hi everyone
Every reply, , is very informative. .
and clears this up for me...
just a little more,, and as I read. ..
through the replies one by one...
This curiosity and misconception. .
I've had for quite sometime is starting, ,
to unfold and make a lot more sense. ..
I'm proficient with the razors I have and,,
it's the design and visual appearance of..
of the Slant that, , has peaked my interest. ..
mainly to satisfy my enthusiasm, , for DE..
Shaving and my lust for knowledge of every. ..
aspect of it ,,,, I've haven't used a Slant yet. ...
but eventually I'll probably use or sample many...
Razors. ... visually the slant is a Unique Work of Art..

And BTW..
Thanks everyone for such. ..
great and very useful insight it'll..
go a long way,,in my understanding of..
DE Razors. .

Top Bottom