What's new

I have a dumb coat question

I have what is probably a dumb question regarding a London Fog double breasted trench coat. Are there any general rules of thumb that differentiate a men's model from a woman's?

One was offered to me which fits well and is in great condition but the owner thinks he recalls it being the woman's model, though he currently wears it and it looks basically like this one here- Clicky Link only the collar is a bit different, a quick internet search did turn up a couple of woman's that look quite similar.

Any general guidelines? I think I remember one regarding the orientation of the buttons but I can not recall. Irregardless of the price I'd rather not subject myself to snickers should people know something I don't know :blushing:

It should be just that it buttons on the wrong side.

if it is a woman's, then the coat may taper a bit in the wist

whats the wrong side? and is the wrong side a noticeable breech of a hard and fast rule?

Others may be more observant than I, but I never look at the buttons on a coat or shirt and compare them to the gender of the wearer.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Think of it this way ...

If buttoned up, a gentleman should still be able to reach his right hand into his coat and draw his sword from his left hip.

If the coat's a good fit, get it and don't worry about the buttons. I have a great leather jacket that fits me perfectly. However, the buttons are on the wrong side. I don't know if the jacket was intended for a woman or if things got screwed up during assembly. I'm 6'2" tall, about 215 pounds, so I don't really think it was intended for a woman. But, even if it was, it wouldn't matter -- it's a great jacket, it fits me very well, and the price was right.

Think of it this way ...

If buttoned up, a gentleman should still be able to reach his right hand into his coat and draw his sword from his left hip.

That would be useless for me.

(I am a Lefty)

Last edited:
AFAIK Came from back during middle ages when women had assistants to help them get dressed, that's why the buttons are on the opposite sides.

thats cool to know!

Think of it this way ...

always important, I can't tell you how many times I go for my sword, and the D!@# coats gets in the way!

If the coat's a good fit, get it and don't worry about the buttons. I have a great leather jacket that fits me perfectly. However, the buttons are on the wrong side. I don't know if the jacket was intended for a woman or if things got screwed up during assembly. I'm 6'2" tall, about 215 pounds, so I don't really think it was intended for a woman. But, even if it was, it wouldn't matter -- it's a great jacket, it fits me very well, and the price was right.

That's a big women! what size does it say it is?

Wouldn't the size of the coat tell you if it was mens or womens? Mens coats are generally sized something like 42R or 52L. A Woman's coat would be 2 8 10 or whatever wouldn't it?

That's a big women! what size does it say it is?

The size on the label in the jacket says "44 tall" which tells me that it was designed for a man, even though it has the buttons on the wrong side. The coat was made in Canada, not that that has anything to do with it.

The size on the label in the jacket says "44 tall" which tells me that it was designed for a man, even though it has the buttons on the wrong side. The coat was made in Canada, not that that has anything to do with it.

Hey Ian, are Canadians all left handed? :lol::lol::lol:

Its been a while, but I believe European woman's sizes follow the same convention as man's. Here is the wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_sizes

I've noticed that, as a man, there's a lot of things I don't notice that women do. That being said, I don't see many people noticing which side your coat buttons on. I think the main concern would be fit. Make sure you try it on in the clothing with which you plan to wear it. If it is a woman's coat, it will likely be shaped differently (e.g. more narrow waist, narrow shoulders).

Oh, and I think what you are looking at is an overcoat. A trenchcoat is somewhat longer. Not that I'm a great source of clothing knowledge.

Coat is only 20 bucks and almost like new conditions, and is at the cleaners now so can't check sizing and such. It did fit well, the sash was just a bit small.

For 20 bucks button side be damned?

Top Bottom