What's new

I hate to [shave] a dead horse, but.art of shaving

Never heard of the "Art of Shaving" shops to be honest but the name sure is pretentious! :clown:

Walking into an Art of Shaving store is like walking into the Disney version of the shave den of the eccentric billionaire, who has his own private label of shaving products.

1) They introduced me to this hobby

It's much the same for me. I always had a vague interest in brush-and-mug shaving and I used them for years without any idea of the hobby of shaving or learning technique, etc. It was when I first happened upon an Art of Shaving store at the shopping mall that I actually got interested in learning more.

And I absolutely love the scent of their "unscented" shaving oil. It's black pepper or cloves or something that's just fantastic. And I am perfectly happy with the Merkur Progress razor that the nice shop assistant persuaded me to buy for $75.

I wish I had been around to try their old tallow soaps that everyone here talks about.

I visited an AoS store in Syracuse. They had several Merkur DEs and one Muhle DE for sale. The salesman was a DE shaver who used a Muhle R89.

Most importantly, I know a gent who is now a DE shaver because he wandered into an AoS store two years ago while his wife was in a nearby clothes store. He walked out with a Merkur razor, a brush, blades, and some soap and has been DE shaving ever since.
No doubt many guys have similarly been introduced to wet-shaving because they stumbled across an AoS store.

Walking into one of their stores is what got me into shaving this way. I bought a starter kit, then a full kit. Since then, I bought several things online through recommendations on this web site.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Cool Springs Galleria Mall in Franklin. You could be there in 15 minutes depending on where uyou live in Smyrna.

google maps say 35 minutes. it's 20 miles from me. To far for me for work.
but I might head out there to check it out one day.

Sounds like a great custom title for cleftwich. "I hate to shave a dead horse"!

Make it happen mods ;)

I bought my first set up in an AoS store. I spent a pretty good sum but, as I see it, 1) They introduced me to this hobby

When I can I will buy their product when the need arises.

AOS introduced me to DE shaving as well. While browsing for the first time and seeing what I considered at the time, antique razors, I asked the sales lady why would one choose to shave with a safety razor. She told me pretty much what this forum explains as the benefits. I didn't buy anything because I'm a fanatic of first researching on the internet before buying, but she was instrumental in me starting to shave with a DE.

So I gather from a few of the comments in this thread that the balm is good stuff? I think I will try it out

AOS introduced me to DE shaving as well. While browsing for the first time and seeing what I considered at the time, antique razors, I asked the sales lady why would one choose to shave with a safety razor. She told me pretty much what this forum explains as the benefits. I didn't buy anything because I'm a fanatic of first researching on the internet before buying, but she was instrumental in me starting to shave with a DE.

So I gather from a few of the comments in this thread that the balm is good stuff? I think I will try it out

IMHO it is wonderful. Now, it is expensive-$40, and the price appears to be the same on the internet as in the store. On the positive side a little bit goes a long way. Two little squirts is all I need and it really refreshes my face. The scent, I use Sandalwood, is quite nice. Two thumbs up from me.

I have to say AOS got me into wet shaving too. I was at the mall in Atlanta on a rainy day just looking around and saw the store and went in to look around. The guy working there started talking to me about it and how you go about everything and took time to show me everything. I ended up leaving to think about it and ended up returning before I left the mall with a Muhle R89 Grande and there Sandalwood travel set. I haven't looked back yet and still love my Muhle R89. I still have the travel set even though I never use it. I was never crazy about any of there scents and that is what brought me here.

Yesterday, my wife and I went to the mall. Knowing my interest in shaving gear, she proposed the trip by saying "We can stop off at your shaving store." We managed to check the shaving sections at Nordstrom (didn't buy anything) and L'Occitane (bought the Cade pre shave oil, shaving puck, and metal covered soap dish).

When we stopped into L'Occitane, the sales clerk welcomed me to "your favorite store" and she remembered everything that I had bought there in the last six months (even though she wasn't the sales clerk every time). She knew very well that I didn't need anything, saying that the only thing left now was for me to upgrade to straight razor.

Of course, it probably helped her memory that a few days before, I had brought a friend with me and he had bought a full starter kit from her.

The problem with the two Art of Shaving mall shops near me are that they are too small for barber services. I would have to go downtown for the hot lather shave, and I'm not willing to make that trip, find parking, etc., for that.

Last edited:
You should be happy you have any brick and mortar presence even if it is not perfect. There is nothing here, not even on line. By the time I pay shipping that is if the seller or vendor is willing to ship non-CONUS then the price is.....well you get the idea.

Fortunately most of the fine members and vendors of B&B are willing to ship to me.

Well...I will go against the flow here although an old saying about "Shoveling stuff against the tide" comes readily to mind.

I rather like AoS. I think their Sandalwood cream is just apples and 5 oz. (150 ml) is a healthy amount of product for $25. No complaints on my end. And yes...there are indeed some righteously good looking sales associates working in any AoS store I have visited, always a plus.

Top Bottom