What's new

I hate to [shave] a dead horse, but.art of shaving

IMO, the problem with big chain stores trying to cater to wet shavers is that they are forced to inflate the prices of items we've all been buying cheaply online in order to pay their rent and their salesman. They also don't sell custom mades or restored vintage razors from craftsman - they only sell Dovos and TI's - probably factory sharpened as well. They're setting themselves up for disappointed customers. Add a few employees who are clueless about straight razors, and there you have it...

Perhaps, but AOS has been expanding wildly in the past few years. Haven't heard of any closures yet.

Since they seem to cater mostly to the standard cartridge shaver looking to step up a bit with software (or pick up a nice handle for their carts), to users of electrics looking to get into wet shaving, and to the wives and girlfriends of all kinds of shavers, I doubt too many of their customers are disappointed. The disappointment seems to be mostly from experienced shavers, who know of all the options on the Net and hidden gems like Pasteurs---these people know exactly what they are looking for, for the most part.

In fact, as I see it, most of the criticism of AOS is based on what the store is not, instead of what it is.

In fact, as I see it, most of the criticism of AOS is based on what the store is not, instead of what it is.

Well said.

Show me just one other wet shaving brand, with broad reach of brick+mortar stores, live salespersons and good quality stuff??

$aos sandalwood dec 27 2013.jpg

You hit the nail on the head, I believe. My "criticism" or rather, my disappointment is what the store was not. I had never been to one wasn't 100% sure what I should have been expecting.

I have a full size kit of ocean kelp and I love it! I got it for half off and I think it's an amazing cream and great pre shave and AS. I got such a good deal on it that I can't complain about it being pricey.

The AOS at my local mall is pretty nice! It's fairly small but sells Straights and safety's and everything! I'm in San Diego and the mall is really busy and expensive (lots of designer shops) so I can see them selling a lot of this stuff.

While i think AOS is expensive, I really enjoy the products and it's nice having a shop where I can smell all the products before buying!

i actually really like the AOS unscented balm, love the old shave soap (haven't tried the new yet), absolutely love their tangerine body soap bath bar. that bath soap is awesome!!

it's too bad that it just isn't a pasteurs or these other new places popping up... wonder how successful it would be or would it be more of a "showroom" for the online small businesses.

I'm curious, did you ask them if they normally had DE's Straights, Gillette's, etc.? I have been to 3 within a 30 mile area and they all had large stocks of razors, brushes, etc. I am on their email list and they are/were having a 20% off of everything sale. I'm not a big fan, although they got me started back into DE shaving, because of their prices on hardware. The 3 stores I've been to are all pretty much the same size. I'm wondering if the one you visited had sold out of their razors for the holidays. BTW, the stores here carry Merkur and Muhle, perhaps Edwin Jagger (not sure), straights and some high end (up to $200.00) carts with fancy handles. I bough my first new DE in 50 years there. It was a Muhle R106. And yes, I could have ordered one for about $15.00 less although I did not know that at the time. As an aside, they give military discounts for active duty and retired.

It's easy to beat up on Art of Shaving. I've been to a couple of their stores and always found their salespeople to be friendly and helpful. Their products are a bit pricey but also really good. Their razors and blades are expensive compared to other vendors.
It's a great store for what it is and for a lot of places it may be the only brick and mortar store with traditional shaving equipment and supplies.

They were friendly: greeting me as I came in and asked several times if I have any questions, etc.

:wink2:

That is exactly why Staples failed the first time they made the jump to Europe, Germany iirc. The Germans were freaked out by that behaviour ... different culture.

The same thing happened to a Dutch retail company wanting to do business in China ... you cannot simply "transplant" a shop to another part of the world.

[I think it was Staples ... may have been another chain as well]

If I was one of the ones you believe were being snarky, I do apologize. That was not my intention and not usually my nature. Maybe I read a grouchy tone into your post that you didn't intend. As for why I got a bit frustrated, there were more negatives in your post than positives and yet you claimed to not want to be beating up on AOS.

Negatives:
Their products are a little overpriced.
The store was a lot smaller than I had hoped.
There seemed to be too many people working there for as small a shop it was.
They apparently had a disappointing holiday sales.
They don't had the cartridge razors with the nicer handles.
All in all, I was disappointed

Positives:
They were friendly...
Of course they also had their barber chair for shaves...

Obviously, I'm nit-picking your post in an attempt to explain myself. Too bad we can't find a way to express tone while posting on forums, would save a lot of hurt feelings and unnecessary anger. Again, I apologize if I misread you.

I could have done a better job at explaining my visit to the store. It was my laziness. I was literally laid back in my recliner, watching Dexter on Netflix while typing that. I was on vacation and taking advantage of it!

It's easy to beat up on Art of Shaving. I've been to a couple of their stores and always found their salespeople to be friendly and helpful. Their products are a bit pricey but also really good. Their razors and blades are expensive compared to other vendors.
It's a great store for what it is and for a lot of places it may be the only brick and mortar store with traditional shaving equipment and supplies.

TWGW arrived home yesterday after a visit to our local mall (Brea, CA). She had visited the AOS store and mentioned that it was pretty cool and some of the products are expensive. Said that the saleslady was nice an that she should consider purchasing a brush stand as the knot "will eventually rot".

So...I think it's great that there is a brick and mortar retail store nearby. It at least allows TWGW to shop for me on a whim should see desire to - which is her way of acknowledging this crazy DE shaving thing that I've recently started. As far as the purchase of the brush holder...I know that from the little time that I've spent on B&B it is not necessarily a mandatory item in one's shave kit if one takes proper care of a brush in the first place, however it makes for a nice way to display a razor/brush.

I'll probably stop by the store soon for my own take!

The AOS in Raleigh, NC sells all types of razors. The had two different DE razors, one was $55 while the other was $90. I was just browsing while I was there but I did pick up a starter kit from AOS at a store here called Ulta. I've never heard of the place but I just moved here from California. I am very pleased with the AOS products I am currently using.

Show me just one other wet shaving brand, with broad reach of brick+mortar stores, live salespersons and good quality stuff??
De Vergulde Hand? They sell soap, cream, aftershave, styptic pencils and alum blocks, and brushes.

And they are available in every decent drugstore.

I've had mixed experiences with Art of Shaving.
The one in San Francisco near Union Square was well stocked up and the personnel was courteous and knowledgeable.
The one in Palo Alto did not have a single straight razors to sell and only one was on display (A nice Dovo, but was display only and not for sale). The personnel was very nice (a drop dead gorgeous young lady), but she did not seem to know much about shaving (she did not understand my question about the price of the strop they had on display).
Anyway, I find their soap to be really good and their aftershave cream is just the best I've ever had. Both are very pricey though.

Doesn't matter. She's there for the customers that don't know much about shaving. It works.

Cheers,

Rick

I find that being a member here has given me a rich knowledge base on traditional wet shaving. Both in terms of technique and product nuance. I don't think we realize the uniqueness of our skill set. That being said, expectations may be high when visiting The Art of Shaving to such discerning customers as ourselves. I use their creams and find them wonderful, but one must maintain perspective considering aforementioned skill set. I am certain very few of us would attempt to engage a Walmart Associate in an esoteric discussion of their offerings while perusing the shave aisle. They would probably run the other way.

Thanks for hearing me out Gents.

I've never been in an art of shaving store, but based on what I've learned about them, compared to my expectations after first hearing about them, I'm disappointed too. Given the name, I thought they would have a range of products and brands. When I learned they were not in fact a shaving store in general, but rather a brand-specific store, I was disappointed. I got an AOS gift card for Christmas so I guess I'll have to go and get an in person impression. At least I have an idea of what to expect.

Last edited:
I bought my first set up in an AoS store. I spent a pretty good sum but, as I see it, 1) They introduced me to this hobby and 2) They are a brick & mortar store that appeals to a niche market. I used their Sandalwood cream this morning and I echo the sentiments that it is fine stuff. What I love is their AS balm.

I will be the first to admit that they are pricey, especially the hardware, but there really isn't another national retail outlet that attempts to serve us as customers.

When I can I will buy their product when the need arises.

Top Bottom