What's new

I hate the coffee at work

.... But they all have something in common... you need a way to heat the water. The hot water tap on most office water tanks doesn't get much hotter than 170ish degrees... just hot enough to make your brew extremely bitter. ...

Pyrex measuring cup and a microwave works just great.

-jim

To revisit this thread...for an update:

My boss is cool with it, he just smiled when I suggested it, and then laughed when he saw everything...

I had an electric hot water kettle that I had put in my camper. I grabbed it, purchased an inexpensive french press and some good coffee. I've found that cleanup with a french press is too much for what I want to deal with at work.

My SIL sells Organo Gold coffee, and I had some, so I brought it into work to drink...well, (to me) that tastes worse than the coffee in the office. A Keurig is not in the budget at the moment. So, I have my own coffee, and a carafe. I've been dealing with the poor quality of water and some good beans. I think that is what I'll be sticking with.

The kettle stays. It's too convenient. Tea, hot chocolate, oatmeal for breakfast...sponge baths...(kidding).

So...french press at work. Lots of work. I am intrigued by the pour-over...that might be my solution...

Thanks everyone for their input!

Get a travel mug with a built in press, or pick up a small standalone press. That's what I did until our vendor started supplying Starbucks and Seattle's Best. I can deal with those over the weak Folgers or no name stuff they had been supplying.

If you want to go with a small Keurig, that may be an option. If you want to save a few bucks, I think Mr. Coffee and a few others make a knock-off that may fit your needs.

How fresh are the beans? A lot of people think just because they're ground fresh the coffee is fresh. Not the case. If they're more than 2 weeks past roast they're stale. It's not that it'll start tasting bad exactly 14 days past roast, but that's about the extent of most bean's freshness. Try ordering from one of the vendors here , then make your FP again. You could also try Aeropress. Cleanup is MUCH easier than with an FP. Pourover is another less messy option. Don't give up on the dream of good coffee. It IS possible.

aeropress or pourovers can be nice. i'd love to have one of these though.
http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/la-pavoni-europiccola-manual-espresso-machine-black-epbb-8
Why stop there? http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso/microcasealiva

$microcasa.jpg

Well, I was using that same Elektra, but I found that I was making far too much coffee for everyone else.

I'm really kind of leaning toward a pour-over solution....I've had it at Starbucks before, it was good...

Aeropress is a nice simple, quick, good option for the office. I find french presses cumbersome to clean, at best, i couldn't imagine using one in an office environment. I use my aeropress multiple times a day at work, and cleaning doesn't take more than 30 seconds in the sink, with a garbage can next to it. I brew mainly pourover at home and couldn't see myself doing that at work. Too finicky for me at work, having to weigh coffee, and water and spend the 3-6 minutes doing it at my desk.

A Clever dripper may be a happy medium for you between pourover style, and how I use my aeropress at work (inverted).

Micky D's will fill a thermos for the price of a large coffee ($1-2). Not a bad deal when you are traveling by auto and want some decent coffee while driving. Surprising the D's coffee is not bad and it is consistent from one location to another

They sell their coffee by the pound now too. We are enjoying our first bag now.

To revisit this thread...for an update:

The kettle stays. It's too convenient. Tea, hot chocolate, oatmeal for breakfast...sponge baths...(kidding).
So...french press at work. Lots of work. I am intrigued by the pour-over...that might be my solution...

Clever Coffee Dripper
Similar to pourover but you can "brew" the coffee for however long you want and release it when you set it on top of a coffee cup. Cleanup is dead easy... dump grounds, rinse.

a Co-worker and I bought a Keurig Mini (well the Mr Coffee version) for the office and we split purchasing k-cups. Works out well since I can then split my orders between home and work.

We've tossed around the idea of keeping a press @ the office but they are just too involved (for clean up mainly) while @ work.

Top Bottom