What's new

I hate shower shaving

My house is going through a renovation now. Kitchen and bathrooms cabinets. So for close to two weeks, and for at least one more week, I have been forced to shave in the shower. I bought a small mirror to shave with, but it fogs up all the time. Water runs everywhere, I've dropped my Lupo twice, lighting is bad, I hate it. I've been using a DE shavette since August 1st and had to stop, I won't use an open blade in the shower.
I know some of you shower shave, and more power to you, but I hate it.

Rant over.
Use Pears soap while you're shaving in the shower, this will be a lot easier for a while until your renovation is finished.

Edit:- Trust me, I've done this many times when I'm traveling overseas, it's very cheap and easy peasy.

proxy.php

Last edited:
My house is going through a renovation now. Kitchen and bathrooms cabinets. So for close to two weeks, and for at least one more week, I have been forced to shave in the shower. I bought a small mirror to shave with, but it fogs up all the time. Water runs everywhere, I've dropped my Lupo twice, lighting is bad, I hate it. I've been using a DE shavette since August 1st and had to stop, I won't use an open blade in the shower.
I know some of you shower shave, and more power to you, but I hate it.

Rant over.
You sound like you have less than optimal conditions in your shower too. I have decent shelving, a fog-free shower mirror, and enough room to maneuver. I too would not use an open blade in the shower, but I'm still intimidated by the open blades in any circumstance! Plus, as a head shaver, the shower rinses off all the lather effectively.

ToiletTree Products Fogless Shower Mirror with Squeegee https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BQ6QXK/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_HPHD0MYRPZ95NTRHG5EV

I only shower shave, haha. I have gone through a few fogless mirrors up until this year that were horrible buys before I came across this one with a water reservoir in the back that completely eliminates the chance of fog covering the mirror. It works perfectly. I now love shaving in the shower. I have a little corner shelf that I also purchased off Amazon where I can put my gear, and it is absolutely perfect. I was in your shoes before that mirror changed everything. I do turn off the water while I shave to conserve water, because I like to take my time. My shower is a good size, so there's nothing really different about standing there or in front of a sink, so some showers are easier than others, but the fog was always my main hindance.
My wife bought me that about 4 years ago. Best shower mirror ever.

Other than wasting gobs of water, a quick and not very fussy shave by feel with bar soap and a Good News is about on a par with regular wet shaving with an old blade I already hated.
And here I thought I was alone it the shower. That's what I get for shaving with my eyes closed. Next time speak up!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I consider shaving and showering separate endeavours. I shower in the evening and shave in the morning. Shave at the sink with ample room, large mirror and good lighting. Looking towards our sister Province of Alberta.

Good luck with the reno!

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I tried shaving in my shower early into wet shaving and had to set a small table beside the end of the curtain because there is not enough ledges to place anything and I found it a waste of my time trying to clean myself and shave in one shower session. One benefit is less clean up possibly and skin is hydrated but not practical for myself or my physical size of fiberglass insert shower in-closure. It was Worth trying at least to understand why folks shave in the shower. Some fellows attach a valve on the top of the nozzle to regulate the water to trickle water for rinsing I have read.
It is more practical to shave at the sink IMO

There was one big advantage with de in the shower… Any bleeep rinsed away with ease. Still a reason I have a love for pivot head se razors

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Shower shaving was OK when I was a cart shaver, but not really convenient for wet shaving. Brush, lather, metal razor etc.
One carry over I do have from when I switched from cart to DE and abandoned the shower is that I still shave without a mirror. I think it’s why I find it easy to adapt to any razor or blade. No unnecessary visual distraction. I’m more in tune with the feel of my face.
+1

Shower shaving without a mirror is like shaving in the dark, allowing other senses to become more acute. Did it for decades, but seldom these days. Yet, even now, after lathering at the sink, I sometimes close my eyes and enjoy the shave.

+1

Shower shaving without a mirror is like shaving in the dark, allowing other senses to become more acute. Did it for decades, but seldom these days. Yet, even now, after lathering at the sink, I sometimes close my eyes and enjoy the shave.
Bull crap! It’s the power of the human brain, if, you been wet shaving for more than 10 years and you’ll know your own hairy face, every time you’ll look at yourself and you’ll know who you are in mirror.

Anybody can shave in the shower with a single or two blade cartridge razor with a Pears soap, doesn’t need a crappy mirror in the shower. Start using your brain and think like you’re looking at yourself in mirror shaving.

Shower shaving is a sign of cultural moral decline...eclipsed only by the atrocity of actually growing a beard.

I have been thinking of treating my bathroom mirror with RainEx anti-fog to see the effects.

Re foggy mirrors: before you rinse the soap out of your brush next time, lather up the mirror, let it sit for a bit then wipe it all off. Voila, the mirror won't fog up.

I used to shower shave exclusively and found the appeal of the hot water and constant steam was enjoyable during our harsh winters. However, I found that most “fog free mirrors” were made of cardboard with a mirror-like film across the front. They served their purpose but never lasted long. That was a few years ago now. I will break out the scuttle and hot water as needed. I see that many members are concerned about the use and unnecessary consumption of water. I’d like to think that a true shower-shaver would be cognizant of this issue and would use a shower head that looks like this. Notice the switch on the handle? That allows the water to be shut off OR turned to steam with a lower water flow, depending on which way you flip it.

This also tackles the issue for those of you who are dropping your razor, as your hands aren’t continuing to be soaked while shaving. Just something to consider. I’m happy standing at the sink these days, using only as much water as required.

Cheers!

4C5E94C3-BF3B-4801-979C-DB5B98BE90C6.jpeg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I agree 100%. I don't understand the popularity of shower shaving among some of us. Not for me. I also enjoy listening to the radio while shaving, and a shower militates against that.

I thought everyone had a radio in the shower now? Water proof radio's are very reasonably priced.

Hope the renovations are done soon for you! Without a bathroom... really makes you realize how wonderful they are.

I have shaved in the shower a few times with a DE, mostly out of necessity while traveling or visiting family. It's functional, but to me, it just takes the ritual and pleasure out of some me time that a traditional wet shave provides. Yeah... just makes it feel like a chore again (or at least to me).

Top Bottom