What's new

I hate shower shaving

My house is going through a renovation now. Kitchen and bathrooms cabinets. So for close to two weeks, and for at least one more week, I have been forced to shave in the shower. I bought a small mirror to shave with, but it fogs up all the time. Water runs everywhere, I've dropped my Lupo twice, lighting is bad, I hate it. I've been using a DE shavette since August 1st and had to stop, I won't use an open blade in the shower.
I know some of you shower shave, and more power to you, but I hate it.

Rant over.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Agreed, I do not shave in the shower, in the car, in the movie theatre, in a restaurant, or any other random unsuitable place; I shave in front of a mirror in the bathroom like any other sane person. Hold on, if I was sane, I would not own so much shaving gear and spend so much time on a shaving forum - maybe I should take up shaving in the shower after all 🤪

ToiletTree Products Fogless Shower Mirror with Squeegee https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BQ6QXK/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_HPHD0MYRPZ95NTRHG5EV

I only shower shave, haha. I have gone through a few fogless mirrors up until this year that were horrible buys before I came across this one with a water reservoir in the back that completely eliminates the chance of fog covering the mirror. It works perfectly. I now love shaving in the shower. I have a little corner shelf that I also purchased off Amazon where I can put my gear, and it is absolutely perfect. I was in your shoes before that mirror changed everything. I do turn off the water while I shave to conserve water, because I like to take my time. My shower is a good size, so there's nothing really different about standing there or in front of a sink, so some showers are easier than others, but the fog was always my main hindance.

Shower shaving is like an alien activity to me.

I really never understood how it should work (a breakable mirror in the shower? fog everywhere? water wasting like there's no tomorrow?), or why the concept even exists.

ToiletTree Products Fogless Shower Mirror with Squeegee https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BQ6QXK/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_HPHD0MYRPZ95NTRHG5EV

I only shower shave, haha. I have gone through a few fogless mirrors up until this year that were horrible buys before I came across this one with a water reservoir in the back that completely eliminates the chance of fog covering the mirror. It works perfectly. I now love shaving in the shower. I have a little corner shelf that I also purchased off Amazon where I can put my gear, and it is absolutely perfect. I was in your shoes before that mirror changed everything. I do turn off the water while I shave to conserve water, because I like to take my time. My shower is a good size, so there's nothing really different about standing there or in front of a sink, so some showers are easier than others, but the fog was always my main hindance.
Now i dont shower shave every day only when its too cold or hot to comfortably do so or body grooming. However i will say a fogless mirror like the smart sir has said above works wonders. I too use that mirror and i use non breakable shaving bowls in general so i have great lather in the shower. For me it's easier and faster to shave in the shower. However i usually dont because i like to keep my shape up and i need more mirrors to do so and i dont trust a shavette in the shower lol. It has its pros and cons like everything but if you shave before work and are in a hurry it's the better option. Ymmv of course.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I 'm only sure that if the razor falls during shower shaving, we may have to be careful about the important organs other than the toes. After all, there are some protruding parts on our body.

The members of B&B also realized that shaving is a kind of enjoyment. It is too wasteful to overlap one important moment of one's own with another.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I just couldn't stand there and waste the water like that, so for me I couldn't do it.

Maybe try separating shower and shave if you can? Just sit on the ledge of the tub when it's dry/clean and slowly go about doing the shave instead, turning the water on and off to get your water, and stick your mirror opposite where you are sitting on the ledge on the wall. Once done, shower, and clean the tub out as a natural result of the shower.

I just couldn't stand there and waste the water like that, so for me I couldn't do it.

Maybe try separating shower and shave if you can? Just sit on the ledge of the tub when it's dry/clean and slowly go about doing the shave instead, turning the water on and off to get your water, and stick your mirror opposite where you are sitting on the ledge on the wall. Once done, shower, and clean the tub out as a natural result of the shower.

I see little reason to shave before the shower.
I see little reason to shave in the shower, especially if you use a safety or straight razor.

To me it makes sense to shave after shower, when the facial hair is softened.
To me it makes sense to shave in front of a wash basin, where I have a mirror that does not fog over.
If one wants to save water, one could fill the basin with warm water and then close the tap.

I can understand why someone does not like to shave in the shower, but if someone happens to like shaving in the shower who am I to try to convince them otherwise?

B.

My steam room and shower are one and the same with a nice bench in it of course no mirror but hey I can not wear my glasses either.
Shaved there for many years without issues. Everything done by touch and in sauna mode relaxing.

And nay would not touch a straight in there either.

Since a leak which I fixed and seeing the electric bill I shower sauna a lot less so all shaving is done in front of the mirror, not as comfy but it works fine.

Shower shaving was OK when I was a cart shaver, but not really convenient for wet shaving. Brush, lather, metal razor etc.
One carry over I do have from when I switched from cart to DE and abandoned the shower is that I still shave without a mirror. I think it’s why I find it easy to adapt to any razor or blade. No unnecessary visual distraction. I’m more in tune with the feel of my face.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I see little reason to shave before the shower.
I see little reason to shave in the shower, especially if you use a safety or straight razor.

To me it makes sense to shave after shower, when the facial hair is softened.
To me it makes sense to shave in front of a wash basin, where I have a mirror that does not fog over.
If one wants to save water, one could fill the basin with warm water and then close the tap.

I can understand why someone does not like to shave in the shower, but if someone happens to like shaving in the shower who am I to try to convince them otherwise?

B.
The op stated that they disliked shaving during a shower, I was merely suggesting an alternative. Obviously everyone is free to shave however they like. Sorry if my tone came across as demanding or insisting that they change.

I couldn't do it either. All issues related to shower shaving fixed but two:
1. Not possible to accept the waste of water and energy
2. Not possible to stand in the shower for longer than 5 seconds without constant warm water pouring down. It is just too cold.
Maybe if I could wear a sweater or something... :biggrin1:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
For a little while in the late 80s I shaved in the shower. I left my mug with Williams in the shower, and kept my one boar brush on the sink to dry each day. I used a Trac II or a blue disposable 'Good News,' as I recall. I did get great lather in the shower, and my skin was always well hydrated, but shaving at the sink just seemed better. I paid more attention to detail with the bigger mirror than I did with the small mirror I used in the shower. Even if it wasn't fogged over it was still covered with drops of water which clouded my vision.

Today I am much more formal. I always shave standing at a sink in my cellar facing east, toward Jerusalem.

I used to shave in the shower all the time, and did it just the other day when I didn't feel like taking extra time at the sink afterward. I did it all by feel, and usually with my eyes closed (afterall, what do you really need to see that touch can't tell?). Never had a problem doing it that way and always got great shaves. (Shhh, don't tell anybody, I used bar soap and a disposable multy-blade razor.) To each his own though.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Other than wasting gobs of water, a quick and not very fussy shave by feel with bar soap and a Good News is about on a par with regular wet shaving with an old blade I already hated.

Top Bottom