What's new

I hate SE's...

In about 2 weeks, I will have crossed the 45-day threshhold required to post FS on BST, and I'll be putting all my SE's up there. I can't wait to be rid of them, and I'm sure there will be plenty of folks who can't wait to have them
-- Chet
I suspect that recent experience will make people wary of such a resolution made on this date.

If I may ask, what is it you don't like about them?

It's a fair question. There are a few things. For one, I've got a couple auto-strops and I don't want the hassles of stropping or having to modify blades to put something sharp in them. I've got a Kleen Kutter that looks and feels like something you'd pull out of a gumball machine. I've got a bunch of micromatics that seem okay, and I did have some Gem blades to try out in them (my impression was "meh"), and in the end it felt easier to stick with gillette DEs. I've got a goofy-looking gold-and-white-plastic thing that looks like an old injector (a schick, mebbe), but looking around, I'm not finding a lot of blade options (not having a lot of blade options seems like par for the SE world, which is another drawback) and the thing just feels too light in my hand. I've got a Gem junior which actually feels great in the hand, but like the micromatics it just didn't impress me. There are about a half-dozen others, I look at them and think "why bother?"

When it comes down to it, I like the gillette DEs -- there's a lot of variety to choose from in terms of comb/bar styles, weights, balance, handle-length, adjustability, etc. I've got plenty of blade options. I've got plenty to learn, too, and I really want to just focus on DEs for right now. As far as my RAD goes, it's much easier to manage and build knowledge if you focus on a particular type or style that you find most pleasing. Works for me with military rifles and watch movements, so it'll work here, too.

SEs will always be around for me to experiment with at a later date, and maybe I'll have a different appreciation of them at a later time. For now, though, they're a distraction and fall into the "not interested" category. Every single one I have came to me because they rode along with something else I was interested in, so in a way I never really wanted them anyway.

I hope that helps clarify it for you.
-- Chet

I picked up 3 more Gems to go with the one I got that was my Grandpa. The Open combed one is going to have a Learning curve for me. It took too much hide off and the AV was a real Burn. :mad3: I am up too 4 Gems and 3 Gillettes.

using your logic I guess I could call SE's lame compared to a straight... Different strokes for different Folks

But at least you can get a SHAVE with a SE razor, not some glide over the stubble simulation from Schicks and Techs!:biggrin1:

P.S.
... and you won't get cut from the slightest mistake (The straight razor experience):behead:

Much better shaves than DE's I think :thumbup:

I agree!!
John

proxy.php

It's a fair question. There are a few things. For one, I've got a couple auto-strops and I don't want the hassles of stropping or having to modify blades to put something sharp in them. I've got a Kleen Kutter that looks and feels like something you'd pull out of a gumball machine. I've got a bunch of micromatics that seem okay, and I did have some Gem blades to try out in them (my impression was "meh"), and in the end it felt easier to stick with gillette DEs. I've got a goofy-looking gold-and-white-plastic thing that looks like an old injector (a schick, mebbe), but looking around, I'm not finding a lot of blade options (not having a lot of blade options seems like par for the SE world, which is another drawback) and the thing just feels too light in my hand. I've got a Gem junior which actually feels great in the hand, but like the micromatics it just didn't impress me. There are about a half-dozen others, I look at them and think "why bother?"

When it comes down to it, I like the gillette DEs -- there's a lot of variety to choose from in terms of comb/bar styles, weights, balance, handle-length, adjustability, etc. I've got plenty of blade options. I've got plenty to learn, too, and I really want to just focus on DEs for right now. As far as my RAD goes, it's much easier to manage and build knowledge if you focus on a particular type or style that you find most pleasing. Works for me with military rifles and watch movements, so it'll work here, too.

SEs will always be around for me to experiment with at a later date, and maybe I'll have a different appreciation of them at a later time. For now, though, they're a distraction and fall into the "not interested" category. Every single one I have came to me because they rode along with something else I was interested in, so in a way I never really wanted them anyway.

I hope that helps clarify it for you.GIRLIE MAN ALERT.:o10::o10::em18::em18::gun_bandana::gun_bandana:
-- Chet
:001_smile

Top Bottom