What's new

I hate our post office

it opens at 7:30. I have to be at work before that. The window closes at 4. I get off work at 4. There is a package with 2oz of yellow tea and 2oz of decaf peach black tea waiting for me.

I thought it was coming UPS. :angry:

Closed Saturday and I only get half hour for lunch. I am going to sneak away before 4 tomorrow unless something “comes up” as the boss usually says.

Why wasnt it delivered to your house?

In a bid to save money a very long time ago (IMO laziness) the PO here made the decision to no longer do home delivery. Everyone in town has a PO box. The building is open 24 hours a day but the counter is only open from 7:30-4:00, Monday to Friday. They stopped manning the counter on Saturdays about 5 years ago. They will put mail in your box on Saturday but will not open the counter.

When we moved here 10 years ago it was open 8-5:30 Monday to Friday, and 3 hours on Saturday.

There are keyed package lockers but I have no idea how one gets the privilege of having their packages put there. I have asked and sent a letter requesting my packages be there, but it is not happening.

I hate the PO because they made this decision and refuse to change it no matter how irritated the town is.

In a bid to save money a very long time ago (IMO laziness) the PO here made the decision to no longer do home delivery. Everyone in town has a PO box. The building is open 24 hours a day but the counter is only open from 7:30-4:00, Monday to Friday. They stopped manning the counter on Saturdays about 5 years ago. They will put mail in your box on Saturday but will not open the counter.

When we moved here 10 years ago it was open 8-5:30 Monday to Friday, and 3 hours on Saturday.

There are keyed package lockers but I have no idea how one gets the privilege of having their packages put there. I have asked and sent a letter requesting my packages be there, but it is not happening.

I hate the PO because they made this decision and refuse to change it no matter how irritated the town is.
It sounds like you are lucky to have a Post Office. Where in the heck do you live? :)

I think it's easier to find out how to get a keyed locker than to have the Post Office change their hours.

Historically, procedure has been that a package that does not fit in a standard PO Box is placed in one of the larger "lockers" and the corresponding key is placed in the person's regular PO box.
Have you checked your regular mail box "after hours"??

It sounds like you are lucky to have a Post Office. Where in the heck do you live? :)

I think it's easier to find out how to get a keyed locker than to have the Post Office change their hours.

Good old Page AZ. Not as desolate as one might think. Few thousand people with lots of folks coming off the Navajo nation to work and shop. I lived in a much smaller place before coming here and the PO was not this big an issue

@facetime no key.

Thank goodness my wife got off a little early today and picked it up. “Something came up” and I could not get to the PO again. I will definitely double checking that my tea is shipped UPS.

Ha!
If you want to hate the Post Office with a passion, live in Mexico for a couple of years...

I live in Venezuela and i guess Mexican post runs with a blessed mix of Swiss and Japanese efficiency in comparison.

That said I have to add to the discussion that beside using USPS is quite expensive ($13 for a letter, $22.50 for the smallest packet) to have post shipped down here, it's also a lot slower than free China, Singapore or HK post. I mean a package sent from the US to me takes almost double the time being the distance a lot shorter.

In a bid to save money a very long time ago (IMO laziness) the PO here made the decision to no longer do home delivery. Everyone in town has a PO box. The building is open 24 hours a day but the counter is only open from 7:30-4:00, Monday to Friday.
That is similar to what Canada Post did here. It's a mall town surrounded by farms. Some people still get home delivery, but that's being eroded. Most have either a box at the main post office, or else one of these Community Mailboxes:
proxy.php

I think the bottom boxes are for parcels, but I don't know the particulars.
I'm fortunate in that our mailbox is located inside a convenience store, and the owner is contracted to provide pretty much the same service as the main PO (including parcels), except that they're open every day until 9 or 10.

I live in Venezuela and i guess Mexican post runs with a blessed mix of Swiss and Japanese efficiency in comparison.

That said I have to add to the discussion that beside using USPS is quite expensive ($13 for a letter, $22.50 for the smallest packet) to have post shipped down here, it's also a lot slower than free China, Singapore or HK post. I mean a package sent from the US to me takes almost double the time being the distance a lot shorter.
From the news I see over here, it seems that you have more pressing matters over there than the inefficient post office...

I think the bottom boxes are for parcels, but I don't know the particulars.
Update, from Canada Post:
Receiving parcels at a community mailbox
  1. Check your compartment for the parcel.
  2. If your parcel isn’t there, check your compartment for a key to one of the parcel compartments in the community mailbox.
  3. Find the parcel compartment that matches the number on the parcel key tag.
  4. Use the key to open the parcel compartment, remove your parcel, then lock it up again.
  5. Drop the parcel key in the outgoing mail slot of the community mailbox.
It doesn't say what happens if someone hangs onto the parcel box key. Can't they use it to keep checking for other people's parcels?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yup. I been there before. Only day I could go to the PO was Saturdays. And I better get there by noon or I’ll have to try again the next Saturday because they close at noon.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I love the post office. During the height of my purchasing, my mailman would withhold delivery if he saw my wife near the mailbox. Talk about custom service.

It doesn't say what happens if someone hangs onto the parcel box key. Can't they use it to keep checking for other people's parcels?

After you get your package, you drop the key in the mail slot. If you don't then they will come and break your legs with hockey sticks.

Top Bottom