What's new

I had my first DE safety razor shave today

I just had my very first DE safety razor shave today, and I must say that I am very happy with the results. I used Proraso shaving cream in a coffee mug with a RazoRock synthetic brush. I used the Muhle R89 razor and the Muhle razor blade that came with it. I finished off by putting on some Pinaud Clubman after shave. I must say that this is probably the smoothest shave I have ever had. I definitely made some mistakes, but I feel confident that I will improve over time. I also think next time I will use a dish-bowl rather than a coffee mug as it was somewhat hard at first to get a good lather. I was also surprised with how much easier it was to clean the sink. Usually there are lots of clumps of hairs, but the hairs this time all pretty much stayed together, making it easy to clean it all up in just a few swipes with some paper towels. I will be practicing again in a few days, and perhaps I may start a journal entry.

A quick question I have is should I clean the head with dishwasher soap after every shave? I just rinsed the head and blade and dried off with a towel but didn't use any cleaning products. Is there anything specific you would recommend I clean and disinfect with?

I am very happy with this shave and look forward to the next shave!

Congratulations it sounds like you’ve made a good start. Better than my first attempt for sure.

You should be fine to just rinse the razor in clean water and dry it off after each use. After all it’s only had soap on it. You may wish to use some dish soap and an old tooth brush for a deep clean every few months if you notice any soap scum build up. They really are fairly low maintenance items.

Good luck with the next few shaves and the search for your perfect lather bowl!

Right on buddy glad u enjoyed your shave.

I wouldn't bother cleaning my razor nearly that often & I don't like messing with the blades more then I need too. I've used a razor for 3 months and I'm just now thinking it needs a good clean. If you want to disinfect your razor/blade you could dip them into some isopropyl alcohol.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
DON'T dip the Muhle razor in alcohol. It's the same construction as an Edwin Jagger, who specifically advise against it. It can react badly with the metals. If you want to do it with the blade, that's fine, just remove it from the razor first.

I just swish my razor to rinse it, fully assembled, then leave it to dry in the beaker next to my toothbrush. I'll give it a clean when I change the blade (every 10-14 shaves), unless there's a significant soap/scum build up.

Good to hear all went well for you!

I am very happy with this shave and look forward to the next shave
It will get better as your technique improves, give it time. Best for bowl lathering is sloping sides, about 5" wide and 2" deep; rice bowls or similar are ideal.
Cleaning the razor depends on your water quality. Hard water leaves a scum buildup and needs a clean every few days with hand soap and an old toothbrush. Disinfectant is not required as only you use that razor.

I am with @Gryffindor I also use Proraso cream. I rinse with hot water after use. Gently shake out loose water (do not bang as you could damage something). Each blade change I wipe it with a microfibre cloth to remove build up. If needed, I would use a toothbrush, but haven’t had to yet.
Welcome!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome and congratulations on the shave. I just rinse my razor and blade under the tap in the bathroom. Towel dry and then I leave them to air dry until the next shave. No need to over think it. I did for a while.

Congratulations on a good first DE shave. As said above, no need to overdo it with cleaning your razor. A rinse under hot running water, a shake off and then a wipe with a soft towel is my method, with a scrub with dishwashing liquid and a soft toothbrush every few months.

Congratulations and welcome to the DE club. There is a wide opinion on cleaning razors and blades. Personally, I disassemble my Rockwell 6S after every shave and rinse it off under hot water. I then DRY the blade and razor on a towel and then reassemble the razor and store it with no pressure on the blade. So far everything looks squeaky clean. I’ve always done this, but I’ve only had the Rockwell for just over two months.

I usually spritz my razor with a couple shots of Scrubbing Bubbles, the non-bleach version, then rinse it and put it on a fold of toilet paper on the sink to dry. When I do clean them all preparatory to changing blades, they usually have very little scum to clean. And the spray keeps the sink clean too.

Congratulations! :thumbup: :thumbup:

After shaving I rinse my razor well with hot water. I clean off the soap and polish my razor with a soft cloth when I change blades. If there is build up, then I do a more thorough cleaning. That’s pretty much it!

I just rinse the razor with hot water and I'm done. That assumes that you will be using the same razor and blade for the next shave.

Congrats!

I take my razor apart and dry with a towel and then leave everything a part for a few hours to completely air dry. I only clean once it starts looking bad and then I'll use a toothbrush and dawn soap. I only disinfect when I initially buy the razor.

I‘m with the majority too and whatever you do DON’T use rubbing alcohol!

My EJ DE89 stays in the bathroom in my razor, brush and bowl stand and is usually the go-to razor. I run my razor under a hot tap for a bit after unscrewing it slightly. I then leave it hanging in the stand next to a window that’s slightly ajar. It’s always dried off a few hours later.
I think occasionally running the razor under a tap during the shave helps reduce soap residue too but I don’t always do this. I live in a soft water area, which I’m grateful for.

Every few shaves I’ll disassemble the razor and inspect it for soap residue. An old toothbrush and a little bit of Dawn in some water - or as we have in the UK ‘Fairy’ dishwater liquid - is what I’ll use to get rid of any crud.

Congratulations it sounds like you’ve made a good start. Better than my first attempt for sure.

You should be fine to just rinse the razor in clean water and dry it off after each use. After all it’s only had soap on it. You may wish to use some dish soap and an old tooth brush for a deep clean every few months if you notice any soap scum build up. They really are fairly low maintenance items.

Good luck with the next few shaves and the search for your perfect lather bowl!
Per some instructions I saw in the box with my first Merkur I bought several years back, I bought a cheap boar bristle nail brush at a drugstore and use that with hot water to gently scrub off any soap residue. I do this when I disassemble the razor to change the blade.

Glad you guys corrected me on isoproply alcohol being bad for his specific razor, I've never had problems using it on metals before & I'm curious what would happen if you did use some on these razors.

Top Bottom