What's new

I Had a Breakthrough

Under the mentorship of my, well--mentor. :) I learned the ropes using a Wakasa and a 5-stage Nagura progression of Botan, Tenjyou, Mejiero, Koma and Tomo.

In the beginning I knew two things: the order of events, and "no bevel, no edge." I would set the bevel with a 1K Naniwa and then get to making that bevel as perfect as I'm able. I've had a few DFS on my own hones, but not enough. My results left me with shavable, but I am desperately seeking the next level. My results were inconsistent. As Rush says, "Changes aren't permanent, but change is."

I won't bore you with details, but along the way I learned that it is the nuances of certain actions, constantly checking the edge with a loupe, and looking at the edge face-on at lower magnification. The more I read, the more I learn. Make sure your rock is lapped. Keep lacquer chips out of your damn slurry! LOL.

So my Ralf Aust needed a hone. Having been honed months ago, I did not reset the bevel, but put it through the progression. I took notes and gave the shave a 7. Shoulda been a 6. It was tuggy and horrific. It felt like a hone performed by a primate. Normally, I would have taken it down to Koma and Tomo again and retry. Instead I gave it another Tomo session and it went up to perhaps a 7.75. Since it improved it once, I did it again. Another Tomo session with much less slurry, and it shot up to a solid 8. I looked at the bevel with a 6X loupe edge-on, and it looked like a line. No glint, delineations, or "sides" to be found. I knew my bevel was good.

I had done this before, but only as an afterthought and never gave it enough time. Well, last night I honed after Tomo under a rivulet of water for about 15 minutes. I used as little pressure as I could--thinking to myself, "you ARE removing material, just be patient!" For the first time I got consistent HHT results, but only on the lower "toe" half of the blade. That was a first. The shave was almost a 9. Zero tug. As many of you are already familiar with, it's rewarding to find new ground. Moving forward, all my hones will end on water.

I once lucked into a buttery shave, but admit I don't know how I got there. This latest shave wasn't buttery, but more importantly than striking gold once, is knowing where the vein is. Just the progression of taking a somewhat lousy edge to a pretty good one was very satisfying.

As one in particular says (but many others suggest or infer): learn. Take notes. Do. Don't continue what doesn't work, continue to do what does. Load your toolbag with stuff that works. Get rid of what doesn't. As @Steve56, taught me (along with looking straight AT the bevel) pressure management is crucial--critical--make or break stuff. I'm still learning to apply enough pressure but not too much.

There are so many millions of words on this forum because the HOW TO can not be taught. Suggestions can be given, but you must DO to evolve. Every action that is explained has 100 micro-actions inherent that if are not done properly, can hose the whole job.

Anyway, I wanted to share this. I am making progress, and the nearly DFS I had off this Aust will be a DFS soon enough. I look forward to the next breakthrough. I want to create an edge like @Doc226 or @Steve56. Maybe I'll get there, maybe I won't, but I'm getting better--and that's the most important aspect. Sorry for the dissertation. Thanks for reading, everyone.

Interesting read @SparkyLB. Would you say that perhaps a touch up on water only might suffice in future? I'm curious to know because I too have conducted "touch ups" going back to Mejiro or even Botan and worked my way up to a finishing tomo. Sometimes I've nailed that buttery, sharp edge and sometimes not.

@Titleist I think that’s dependent on the condition of the edge at the onset. IMO it would more likely suffice on an edge that’s just been through a full Nagura progression, but like mine was still sub-par. On an eBay rescue, it might have to start at a bevel set.

Under the mentorship of my, well--mentor. :) I learned the ropes using a Wakasa and a 5-stage Nagura progression of Botan, Tenjyou, Mejiero, Koma and Tomo.

In the beginning I knew two things: the order of events, and "no bevel, no edge." I would set the bevel with a 1K Naniwa and then get to making that bevel as perfect as I'm able. I've had a few DFS on my own hones, but not enough. My results left me with shavable, but I am desperately seeking the next level. My results were inconsistent. As Rush says, "Changes aren't permanent, but change is."

I won't bore you with details, but along the way I learned that it is the nuances of certain actions, constantly checking the edge with a loupe, and looking at the edge face-on at lower magnification. The more I read, the more I learn. Make sure your rock is lapped. Keep lacquer chips out of your damn slurry! LOL.

So my Ralf Aust needed a hone. Having been honed months ago, I did not reset the bevel, but put it through the progression. I took notes and gave the shave a 7. Shoulda been a 6. It was tuggy and horrific. It felt like a hone performed by a primate. Normally, I would have taken it down to Koma and Tomo again and retry. Instead I gave it another Tomo session and it went up to perhaps a 7.75. Since it improved it once, I did it again. Another Tomo session with much less slurry, and it shot up to a solid 8. I looked at the bevel with a 6X loupe edge-on, and it looked like a line. No glint, delineations, or "sides" to be found. I knew my bevel was good.

I had done this before, but only as an afterthought and never gave it enough time. Well, last night I honed after Tomo under a rivulet of water for about 15 minutes. I used as little pressure as I could--thinking to myself, "you ARE removing material, just be patient!" For the first time I got consistent HHT results, but only on the lower "toe" half of the blade. That was a first. The shave was almost a 9. Zero tug. As many of you are already familiar with, it's rewarding to find new ground. Moving forward, all my hones will end on water.

I once lucked into a buttery shave, but admit I don't know how I got there. This latest shave wasn't buttery, but more importantly than striking gold once, is knowing where the vein is. Just the progression of taking a somewhat lousy edge to a pretty good one was very satisfying.

As one in particular says (but many others suggest or infer): learn. Take notes. Do. Don't continue what doesn't work, continue to do what does. Load your toolbag with stuff that works. Get rid of what doesn't. As @Steve56, taught me (along with looking straight AT the bevel) pressure management is crucial--critical--make or break stuff. I'm still learning to apply enough pressure but not too much.

There are so many millions of words on this forum because the HOW TO can not be taught. Suggestions can be given, but you must DO to evolve. Every action that is explained has 100 micro-actions inherent that if are not done properly, can hose the whole job.

Anyway, I wanted to share this. I am making progress, and the nearly DFS I had off this Aust will be a DFS soon enough. I look forward to the next breakthrough. I want to create an edge like @Doc226 or @Steve56. Maybe I'll get there, maybe I won't, but I'm getting better--and that's the most important aspect. Sorry for the dissertation. Thanks for reading, everyone.
Hone, shave, repeat.

No secrets, it is just rubbing steel on a rock.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I think that’s dependent on the condition of the edge bevel set at the onset.

Fixed that for you. Bevel set is simple in concept but not always as easy as it might seem before you’ve mastered the muscle memory, and use of the loupe or other bevel set tests, and seen various degrees of wonkiness. The complications come from bent, twisted, poorly ground, frowning, etc blades, some of which are so slight that they’re hard to see with the naked eye, but the loupe and test (loupe at coarser grits, HHT at midgrit) always tells on them.

Fixed that for you. Bevel set is simple in concept but not always as easy as it might seem before you’ve mastered the muscle memory, and use of the loupe or other bevel set tests, and seen various degrees of wonkiness. The complications come from bent, twisted, poorly ground, frowning, etc blades, some of which are so slight that they’re hard to see with the naked eye, but the loupe and test (loupe at coarser grits, HHT at midgrit) always tells on them.
Thanks!

"bent, twisted, poorly held, frowning honers"
It's always nice to read experienced guys who have had their own frustrations, but have come out the other side.
In my own year or so of this I can't estimate how many times I've done everything sensibly and carefully, had a peek to check and saw an unexplainable mess. It just seems to always come down to feel every lap and think about what is felt through the steel.

"bent, twisted, poorly held, frowning honers"
It's always nice to read experienced guys who have had their own frustrations, but have come out the other side.
In my own year or so of this I can't estimate how many times I've done everything sensibly and carefully, had a peek to check and saw an unexplainable mess. It just seems to always come down to feel every lap and think about what is felt through the steel.
I agree it's nice to read about others experiences, successes, and failures. I've had plenty of failures, enough successes to not become too frustrated, and a whole lot of "not as good as I hoped for, but it's pretty decent." I like reading advice from the old hats, but I also like reading of the trials of those just starting out.

I'll admit I often don't feel a damn thing through the steel lol. My senses must not be that in tune. I can tell a difference from very course to very fine. A whole lot of baby steps in between and I don't feel a thing other than steel on a rock.

Top Bottom