What's new

I guess I'm Just an Old Fogey, but

I just can't stand this so called "grunge" or whatever it is called look that a lot of young guys are sporting nowadays. You know the look; like a two or three days growth is on their face. It seems to be very in vogue among the younger singer/actor/musician types. Lots of celebrities are sporting this look also, even some of the not so young. Maybe I am just noticing it more since I have started wet shaving, but I just don't get it. To me it does not look "cool" at all but dirty, grimy, unkempt, thoughtless, and lazy. Sure it is their face and they have the right to do it, but whenever I see one of these guys, my face starts to itch. I just can't see how women would like it. Anyone else feel this way?
cottontop

Well. I used to look something like this before Uncle Sam got me.

$Aaron_Richard_E_014_Jerry_Garcia_55_6.jpg

And the free love was flowing.

Now I am cleanly shaven sporting a circle beard(VanDyke) and well groomed hair.

Last edited:
I'm mildly happy to see grunge as a fashion statement, since even with a DFS I look like I have stubble. Having family tell you that you need to go shave today when you shaved 5 minutes ago isn't much fun!

I associate "grunge" with the Seattle music scene throughout the 90s, not the current bubble gum garbage. And those were great times.

I just can't stand this so called "grunge" or whatever it is called look that a lot of young guys are sporting nowadays. You know the look; like a two or three days growth is on their face. It seems to be very in vogue among the younger singer/actor/musician types. Lots of celebrities are sporting this look also, even some of the not so young. Maybe I am just noticing it more since I have started wet shaving, but I just don't get it. To me it does not look "cool" at all but dirty, grimy, unkempt, thoughtless, and lazy. Sure it is their face and they have the right to do it, but whenever I see one of these guys, my face starts to itch. I just can't see how women would like it. Anyone else feel this way?
cottontop
+1

I guess its all a matter of personal preference, if that's what someone wants then so be it. For myself I like the clean shaven look although I must confess that being retired I'll sometimes go 3 or 4 days between shaves. So I'm not one to be saying anything. :frown2: :arf: :crying:

I agree, and I don't understand the current popularity of of the "unshaven" look.

Who can predict or understand the "fashions" of the young male? I do wonder, however, if the high cost of cartridge shaving has contributed to it? Who knows.

cottontop

Meh... I don't much like the look either (and neither do most of the women I know), but it is their face. I used to sport a full (close and neatly trimmed) beard, and a lot of people don't like beards. I do.

Fads come and go. Give it a few years.

I'm mildly happy to see grunge as a fashion statement, since even with a DFS I look like I have stubble. Having family tell you that you need to go shave today when you shaved 5 minutes ago isn't much fun!

Wait until you are 90% grey like me, they won't notice the look as much. However you will still feel the shadows when they appear.

Its been around for years and I think these days its called the "stubble look". Grunge will forever be known as the 90's music scene from Seattle. For many, it makes them look less like a boy and more like a real man. I see nothing wrong with men wanting to keep fiscal hair. If you disagree, feel free to take it up with these gentlemen. (Eastwood, Wayne, Nicholson, Pacino)

View attachment 390247View attachment 390248View attachment 390249View attachment 390250

Last edited:
Before I learned to shave enjoyably I stubbled-up on a regular basis to avoid an unpleasant and painful start to my day. Now, I am not comfortable if I haven't shaved.

I don't enjoy chores, and shaving is a chore (though my interest in wetshaving currently borders on hobby status, that's a welcome reprieve from seeing it as a chore). I'm generally not interested in looking great; I do good stuff, I treat people well, and that's how I want people to think of me -- the man who solves their problems and is nice to them, not someone who looks great. As such, I'd be likely to sport a stubble or electric clipper #1 comb beard regularly if I didn't need to look professional for work and if my wife didn't have a preference.

Since that's not the case, I shave for a decently clean look during the workweek and let my stubble grow for the weekend for my wife who really loves the look of a few days growth.

To answer the OP's question, I'll borrow a line from Marco's signature that expresses my opinion exactly: "A real gentleman shaves every day."

I should preface my comments by the fact I work in a professional setting.

There's a big difference between a well kept beard, and unkempt stubble. I don't understand the look, unless you've been lost in the wilderness for a few days, or you're working in a blue collar setting (just make sure you shave before a date). Sure, it takes effort to shave every day, whether you enjoy the process or not. But buck up and have a little respect for yourself and those around you. To those that have sensitive skin, there are a multitude of products that can help...or consider growing a beard. The only statement you are making by this stubble look is that you just don't care. At least that's what I'm thinking when I sit across the table from potential candidates in my office. You may be the kindest, and nicest person, but perception may be your enemy to those who don't know you...at least from my generation.

I realize this may not sit well with a lot of people...but I am an old fogey, and it's just my opinion...and as always, YMMV.

Last edited:
yeah - you are just an old fogey. i love to be clean shaven - nevertheless i appreciate the stubble look in others.

I still remember how 'classy' my grandfather was, always clean shaven, used a straight, and the only time I wasn't wearing a tie was either fishing or working on a car. My father, even sick in hospital always had a shave. I guess class and grace have gone out of style.

I just can't see how women would like it.
As with any large group of people, women aren't all identical. Some like it, some do not.

Anyone else feel this way?
I don't really care what others do. It's their prerogative IMO. That said, this is a pretty common topic and there are definitely those that agree with you. Just a a few threads from a quick search:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/307674-Seems-like-80-of-teens-young-adults-have-stubble
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/174625-Women-prefer-men-with-stubble
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...nderstanding-any-coolness-factor-with-stubble
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/208853-What-is-it-with-stubble-in-commercials
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/311162-Do-you-feel-bad-for-the-poorly-shaved

Last edited:
Before I got into all this wet shaving stuff (collecting vintage razors, sampling blades/soaps/creams, etc) and shaving virtually every day, I shaved every 2-3 days; mainly because of the crappy cartridge shaves. My irritated skin needed at least a day to recover.

SWMBO thinks I look fab both clean and scruffy, and it doesn't really matter much for work. What anyone else thinks isn't my concern.

Last edited:
To answer the OP's question, I'll borrow a line from Marco's signature that expresses my opinion exactly: "A real gentleman shaves every day."

I should preface my comments by the fact I work in a professional setting.

There's a big difference between a well kept beard, and unkempt stubble. I don't understand the look, unless you've been lost in the wilderness for a few days, or you're working in a blue collar setting (just make sure you shave before a date). Sure, it takes effort to shave every day, whether you enjoy the process or not. But buck up and have a little respect for yourself and those around you. To those that have sensitive skin, there are a multitude of products that can help...or consider growing a beard. The only statement you are making by this stubble look is that you just don't care. At least that's what I'm thinking when I sit across the table from potential candidates in my office. You may be the kindest, and nicest person, but perception may be your enemy to those who don't know you...at least from my generation.

I realize this may not sit well with a lot of people...but I am an old fogey, and it's just my opinion...and as always, YMMV.

I don't mind a beard - it's just not for me. However, the stubble look is one look I just don't find attractive. Reminds me of the look the inhabitants of the Bowery in NYC used to have years ago.

Top Bottom