What's new

I guess I'm Just an Old Fogey, but

Simple: girls like it.

I used to wear it before exploring classic wet shaving, 3-4 days of growth,(scruffy, stubble, what ever it is called) trimmed every few days. I look more serious with it than clean shaved, however I like to shave.

If I wasn't obsessed with shaving, I would wear it.

I don't care what other people do with their faces. Some guys can pull off stubble, others can't.

I for one haven't shaved for almost a week and a half because I have poison ivy on my cheek and a small patch on my neck; just below my jawline. I wish I could shave, but I don't feel like breaking open poison ivy that is almost healed.

I don't know. Part of me says if you are young, have the face and the beard for it, and you fit in your crowd with that look, then go for it. I was a stranger to the razor a lot when I was young. But nowadays I basically have two looks: clean shaven and homeless. There is no stylish in between with my face and beard now.

I just can't stand this so called "grunge" or whatever it is called look that a lot of young guys are sporting nowadays. You know the look; like a two or three days growth is on their face. It seems to be very in vogue among the younger singer/actor/musician types. Lots of celebrities are sporting this look also, even some of the not so young. Maybe I am just noticing it more since I have started wet shaving, but I just don't get it. To me it does not look "cool" at all but dirty, grimy, unkempt, thoughtless, and lazy. Sure it is their face and they have the right to do it, but whenever I see one of these guys, my face starts to itch. I just can't see how women would like it. Anyone else feel this way?
cottontop

OH MY GOSH! I've been saying the same thing to my wife. I have spoken to several ladies who hate it as well. Their reason was they get a stubble burn on their faces if they are petting. If you want to grow a beard then grow a beard and stop trying to be Mr. Unclean or a Hollywood/Mr. GQ imitator. Before I retired two years ago I never saw any executive that was not clean shaven or at least had a neatly trimmed beard. We've been duped again by the fashion and entertainment world to believe that a crappy 2-3 day growth is cool. Yes, you too can be cool and sexy by growing stubble and wearing one of our expensive suits, etc, etc, etc. Oh, and if you do half naked women will crawl all over you. WAIT A MINUTE, I need to grow stubble. No dear, I did not say that:ohmy:.

I just can't stand this so called "grunge" or whatever it is called look that a lot of young guys are sporting nowadays. You know the look; like a two or three days growth is on their face. It seems to be very in vogue among the younger singer/actor/musician types. Lots of celebrities are sporting this look also, even some of the not so young. Maybe I am just noticing it more since I have started wet shaving, but I just don't get it. To me it does not look "cool" at all but dirty, grimy, unkempt, thoughtless, and lazy. Sure it is their face and they have the right to do it, but whenever I see one of these guys, my face starts to itch. I just can't see how women would like it. Anyone else feel this way?
cottontop

Well said!!! I am 36 years old and in the past 19 years I have maybe only not shaved a total of 4-5 days. I love the clean look and since I began wet shaving I just cant wait till the next shave.

well you cant be that old because in the 1800s every guy had massive wiskers in all sorts of funny patterns. Look at some of those old portraits etc. We as shavers would appear boorish to them. Its just fashion is all.

Top Bottom