What's new

I got really bad shave from using Derby Extra blade

The Gillette brand is paid for by *every* item that carries it's name - whether that particular item is advertised or not - it's called brand equity.

I just mentioned price as a deciding factor on quality not brand as you suggest. The best performing blades that I use have generally been more expensive irrespective of their brand. I have made no correlation between brand and performance as you have.

I just mentioned price as a deciding factor on quality not brand as you suggest. The best performing blades that I use have generally been more expensive irrespective of their brand. I have made no correlation between brand and performance as you have.

It's not a hard and fast rule though - there's a difference between inexpensive and cheap - there are plenty of people out there that have positive experiences with Derby, Crystal, Red IP - all blades at the inexpensive end of the market, likewise I can point you at blades on sale in the UK for 39p for 5 that are cheap and positively useless...

I mentioned the brand simply because in some cases people see it and think "must be good, I recognise the brand"...

When someone starts a thread with a strongly provocative title and angry emikons, directed specifically at a single brand, well, I have to say, I question the motive. Derby's have been around for a while and sell fast because people really like them. They may not be the very best, but they are better than many other common brands out there. Sorry, I don't buy into it! :skep:

Derby's are by far the worst performing blades I've encountered. On the other hand my dad likes them (better). No nicks but a lot of irritation when I try to get a decent shave out of those. And give up after a dozen passes or so.

I'd have to agree, that is a pretty harsh way to start a thread. Many folks clearly enjoy Derby blades. When I first started DE shaving I enjoyed them very much. I still do. I use many different blades just for sport.

I think it is rather funny that someone can have one bad shave and blame the blade or at least feel so strongly that the blades are bad. Once in a great while a bad blade does find it's way into a pack. It's happened with every single blade manufacturer out there.

I can't count the number of times I have heard folks say the walked away from Derby blades only to give them a go down the road and love them....

Makes you just want to hmmmmmm......:rolleyes:

I can't count the number of times I have heard folks say the walked away from Derby blades only to give them a go down the road and love them....
I also had a horrid Derby experience using one with a Merker 38C. Thought they were garbage. Tried one with a 40's style SuperSpeed a couple weeks ago and now they are one of my favorites. I don't understand the reasons why, but it seems like some blades work better/differently with different razors. Weird!
Exactly. I tried them in merkur razors and found them to not give the best shave, but in a Gillette adjustable the are very smooth. So smooth that I'll buy more.

Perhaps we are not having issues with blades, but razors?

And I'm with thirdeye on this one, the reaming that Derby is taking in this thread seems disproportionate to the reviews that they get.

Last edited:
I love Derbies but cannot stand the tugging. That's why I use Personnas. They about the same sharpness but are very smooth.

I'd have to agree, that is a pretty harsh way to start a thread. Many folks clearly enjoy Derby blades. When I first started DE shaving I enjoyed them very much. I still do. I use many different blades just for sport.

I think it is rather funny that someone can have one bad shave and blame the blade or at least feel so strongly that the blades are bad. Once in a great while a bad blade does find it's way into a pack. It's happened with every single blade manufacturer out there.

Makes you just want to hmmmmmm......:rolleyes:

hmmmmmm......:rolleyes:

:tongue:

Derbys are one of the best blades for me.

And the very popular Red IP's doesn't stand a chance against my stubble. They're very smooth though, I just get better results with less work using DERBY :cool:

Exactly. I tried them in merkur razors and found them to not give the best shave, but in a Gillette adjustable the are very smooth. So smooth that I'll buy more.

Perhaps we are not having issues with blades, but razors?

You both have a point here. My lousy Derby shave was done with a Merkur HD. I think tomorrow I'll give it one more shot with a Slim Adjustable to see what gives.

Definitely try it. I used a Derby blade in my Merkur HD, and did not like the shave - razor burn on my neck. Just for the heck of it, I removed the blade and put it into my Gillette red tip, with fantastic results. Don't ask me why the different results, but it really worked - and very well indeed!

Definitely try it. I used a Derby blade in my Merkur HD, and did not like the shave - razor burn on my neck. Just for the heck of it, I removed the blade and put it into my Gillette red tip, with fantastic results. Don't ask me why the different results, but it really worked - and very well indeed!

When someone starts a thread with a strongly provocative title and angry emikons, directed specifically at a single brand, well, I have to say, I question the motive. Derby's have been around for a while and sell fast because people really like them. They may not be the very best, but they are better than many other common brands out there. Sorry, I don't buy into it! :skep:
Say what you want, but derbys are terrible for me. They were that bad, I almost gave up on wet shaving completely. Yes, that may be hard for you to imagine, but for some people they are terrible blades. Even the derby fans admit that the quality is bad and you will get a bum blade. Not that that applies to me, I tried at least 20 of the damned things before writing them off.
Yeah, derbys don't work for me either. I stick with feathers, or red personnas if I want to be cheap.
Other blades are OK, ie gillette yellow, BIC, croma, IP, kai. But if I want the cheapest blade that is half decent, red personna, and if I want the best, feather.

Last edited:

I read several similar comments from experienced shavers on shavemyface forums about this supposed incompatibility with Derby's and some fixed head Merkur.

I'm also using Derby blades in an HD, and indeed I have to be very careful for burns on the neck as soon as I go XTG/ATG, although other blades (Israeli Personna) wouldn't be as rough even ATG. Since I'm not very experienced (about 1 month wet shaving), I'm not decided yet if this is due to a bad technique or a real blade/razor issue, or just my skin.

Anyway, I'm quite puzzled by the reasons that could explain why this would happen. We are not talking about micromechanic here...

Last edited:
Derby's have been around for a while and sell fast because people really like them. They may not be the very best, but they are better than many other common brands out there. Sorry, I don't buy into it! :skep:

It is really ok you defend the derby's as far as I am concerned; I would defend a nice (to me) blade too,.....but:

I tried at least 9 or 10 blades from different packages in most of my razors (merkur 25C, 33C, 37G; old mühle R-89, astra tto, old and new Lord lp1822, wilkinson classic and a couple of other cheapo's) with a persistance induced only by all the positive comments here at B&B but these blades simply do not cut my beard. Of all the brands of blades I tried (20-30) these are simply the worst (yes, YMMV).

I really would like some more people to stand up for, let's say, the merkur blades. Not the best and with a (too) high price tag but for me 10 times the Derby. And getting comments that are a lot worse than what is being said about your beloved derby's in this thread.

It is not personal or anything but it feels really good to just say what I think about these (without feeling the need to use foul language btw).

Thank you!

Top Bottom