What's new

I got Boared

Hey Gents,

So I have been toying with the idea of getting a boar brush. All of you boar users have talked about their greatness and it gave me an itch.
Also, not having much disposable income at the moment it seemed like a financially wise choice. I currently own a Rooney 3/1 in best and it is a great brush, but I was looking for something smaller

So last week I pulled the trigger and ordered an Omega #50068 the Bambino. Ht: 73 mm Loft: 44 mm Base: 29 mm Knot: 18 mm. I ordered from Shoebox Shaveshop. Outstanding service, it was shipped out the next day and it was packed to withstand a nuclear blast. I ordered a few other things and it also included some freebies which is always nice. Will definitely do business with them again.

I have only used it twice. The first was an innaugural run just to test it out. The second was for my shave this morning. It made short work with my Mama Bears soap this morning. And it wasnt too scritchy on the face where it was uncomfortable, which I was worried about. I am glad I tried a boar, and I can see a few boars in my future. Thank you for showing me the light all of you boarers out there.

The only thing is, I did not experience the boar funk that everyone talks about. Perhaps because it is so little, or the soap smell over powered it. Ill have to give it another whiff when I get home.

The Bambino has definitley earned a place in my den. It is a tiny, tiny workhorse er, workboar.

I'm in the same boat as you. I recently purchased a 10083 (silver handle) and was thoroughly impressed with it. Right out of the box, it terrified me, but after breaking it in with a few test lathers, I used it for the first time and it was nice and soft with just the right amount of scritch/scrub. The hairs are splitting nicely and it was almost overkill when using it with a cream. It held enough lather for 4-5 passes. I think I will mainly use this on my soaps.

Oh yeah, the smell did knock me over. I washed it with dish washing liquid and that tamed it bit.

Hey Gents,

So I have been toying with the idea of getting a boar brush. All of you boar users have talked about their greatness and it gave me an itch.
Also, not having much disposable income at the moment it seemed like a financially wise choice. I currently own a Rooney 3/1 in best and it is a great brush, but I was looking for something smaller

So last week I pulled the trigger and ordered an Omega #50068 the Bambino. Ht: 73 mm Loft: 44 mm Base: 29 mm Knot: 18 mm. I ordered from Shoebox Shaveshop. Outstanding service, it was shipped out the next day and it was packed to withstand a nuclear blast. I ordered a few other things and it also included some freebies which is always nice. Will definitely do business with them again.

I have only used it twice. The first was an innaugural run just to test it out. The second was for my shave this morning. It made short work with my Mama Bears soap this morning. And it wasnt too scritchy on the face where it was uncomfortable, which I was worried about. I am glad I tried a boar, and I can see a few boars in my future. Thank you for showing me the light all of you boarers out there.

The only thing is, I did not experience the boar funk that everyone talks about. Perhaps because it is so little, or the soap smell over powered it. Ill have to give it another whiff when I get home.

The Bambino has definitley earned a place in my den. It is a tiny, tiny workhorse er, workboar.

i wouldn't be that upset that you didn't get to experience the funk of an omega...there is nothing more annoying to swmbo than to see you get more shaving stuff, AND have the bathroom smell like pig a**. but once that funk is gone, ohh what a wonderful brush an omega boar is.

For the amount of money involved, one really can't go wrong with an Omega boar brush. I hope that you enjoy it- it should improve and improve and improve.....

Some boars don't smell much at all when new and some really stink. My Omega didn't smell either and my Semogues have all only had a mild funk which was gone in just a couple of shaves.

Glad you came over to boar side.

Thanks for all of the responses Gents. I love this thing, I will be using it exclusively for awhile. Work my way through my soaps and creams, see how she handles it all.

I use that brush as my travel brush. It fits neat in a small prescription pill bottle (drill a few vent holes in both ends). It took a good bit of time to break in, and I still haven't broken in my brush fully. When I am traveling my brush is bone dry, so the first shave requires extra soak time, like 20 minutes or so. Additional shaves are always better.

Before traveling I did 30+ lathers with it. The cool thing about that tiny brush is it will be dry after about 8 hours! I palm lathered it daily for almost 2 weeks before face lathering, it is quite wiry when new.

Phil

Got my 20106 omega from QED yeaterday. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on the couch with back spasms, and can't even stand. Sooooo, looks like I will get to try this bad boy out with a few days growth!! Should be a good test. This thing is huge, and I love it!!!!!

Boar funk? Ive owned a number of brushes in my time mostly boar brushes never had a funky smell no lurking pigs in my bathroom.
My current brush is an Omega 48 its a great brush a bit of product and it will send you to lather heaven
a rinse under clean running water always smells great.
no funking worries
Smithy

Instead of starting a new thread, I guess I'll add on to here. I'm a bit of a noob in terms of brushes. I have an AOS badger from one of their starter kits. Been reading about a lot of love for the Semogue. What exactly is the big deal? Can it be explained in qualitative terms?

De-lurking for this.
If you are interested in boar brushes there is a post from another forum a couple of years ago by Zack that explains boar brushes better
than any post I've ever seen.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35880

If this does not show up as a link perhaps one of the regulars can post a link to this.

How much do i like boars? My favorite brush is my good old Omega Pro 48.

It's 8 years old and still going strong.

You almost sound disappointed. :biggrin1:

I've never had a problem with funk either.

You almost sound disappointed. :biggrin1:

I've never had a problem with funk either.

Haha. I guess I am a littel dissapointed, I was expecting a need to run out of the bathroom after it got wet for the first time. I guess I will just have to hope my next boar smells up the joint.

UncleScott said:
De-lurking for this.

Welcome to B&B UncleScott. I will check out that link

None of my Semogue boars had any smell but the Omega 48 smelled awful! Took awhile to de-stink it but it was worth the effort, great brush.

Just got through reading the link, UncleScott. You're right on with your evaluation - it does a great job of explaining everything you'd want to know about boar, from construction to water retention to use. Thanks for the link.

Top Bottom