What's new

I got a Wilkinson Sword seven day empire set (picture heavy)

Hello everyone,
I just my new to me Wilkinson Sword seven day empire set yesterday. It's in beautiful condition! The case has large corrosion spot on the bottom, and there are a couple small brassing spots on the razor itself, but it great shape overall.
All seven wedge blade are present and it great shape as well. Look to only need to be stropped after a light cleaning.
The strop is present and in nice usable condition and the user instructions are also present with only minor were.
I've been after one of these for a few years and can't wait to give it a go.
But this leads me with a few questions. Is there any part of the razor itself that can rust if not dried? I presume the blades are carbon steel and will need to be dried of after use, or are they stainless steel?
20180110_094924.jpg
20180110_094948.jpg
20180110_094903.jpg
20180110_094834.jpg
20180110_094721.jpg
20180110_094750.jpg
20180110_094810.jpg
20180110_095324.jpg
20180110_095300.jpg
20180110_095222.jpg

Curious how it shaves.
Same here, but first I need to clean it up. Hopefully at least one of the blades is still sharp enough without needing sharpened.
Now I need some honing stones or lapping film and learn how to maintain the edge on the blades.

When the blades are shave ready those are remarkably effective razors. Only knock I have is the center of gravity on them is a bit weird but it's a different system so it's to be expected.

That is one dandy looking set Dave.
I suspect you will need to hone and then strop those blades before they will shave correctly. I suppose there is a chance you could get away with just stropping.

Let us know how it turns out.

That is one dandy looking set Dave.
I suspect you will need to hone and then strop those blades before they will shave correctly. I suppose there is a chance you could get away with just stropping.

Let us know how it turns out.
Thank you Kevin.
I got it all cleaned up, sterilized, and stropped the blades, but I definitely need to hone the blades. I managed to remove some stubble but it mostly tugged at my face. So now I technically have seven reasons to learn how to hone a blade.

Impressive set! It appears quite complete and in great order.

I’d assume dry it all just to be on the safe side, or at least do the alcohol dip and air dry.

Thank you Kevin.
I got it all cleaned up, sterilized, and stropped the blades, but I definitely need to hone the blades. I managed to remove some stubble but it mostly tugged at my face. So now I technically have seven reasons to learn how to hone a blade.

I just received a shipping update; the remainder of the lapping film should arrive by Tuesday. I will send some your way soon.

Congrats! They are beautiful razors. I by luck found a NOS one and I put it in my collection but I'm very curious about how shaving with it would be but I haven't had the time to do any sort of reading on how to use it and hone the blades.
I think there is an old thread about the razor and how to use it. A part of me wants to try to shave with it and a part of me wants to leave it unused and just look at it. LOL
Keep us posted as you get the blades honed and shave with it.

Impressive set! It appears quite complete and in great order.

I’d assume dry it all just to be on the safe side, or at least do the alcohol dip and air dry.
Thanks and I'm pretty sure everything, except for original packaging, is there.
After I cleaned everything up I did the alcohol dip in 99% isopropyl alcohol. After the blades dried, I dipped them in mineral oil protect against rusting due to the high air moisture levels in my neck of the woods.
Congrats! They are beautiful razors. I by luck found a NOS one and I put it in my collection but I'm very curious about how shaving with it would be but I haven't had the time to do any sort of reading on how to use it and hone the blades.
I think there is an old thread about the razor and how to use it. A part of me wants to try to shave with it and a part of me wants to leave it unused and just look at it. LOL
Keep us posted as you get the blades honed and shave with it.
Thanks.
I definitely understand how torn you are about using or not using a NOS razor set. I have few that I haven't used either, but that's because I have a user grade duplicate to use instead. I'm sure the difference between the NOS and user grade are very little.

I feel that these sets are one of the last great vintage wet shaving deals out there. I've got a NOS set and didn't pay much for it at all. But it rests in my display case and always gets compliments. Great get!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nice set! Mine came with three blades (not a 7 day set), and I need to hone mine up too. I also need to make a strop, as mine was missing when I got the set.

I did try using a modified GEM blade in it. WORST shave that I can ever remember! I hope it's better when I get the proper blades honed up (and I fully expect it will be)

I agree I have several NOS Razors in my collection and the ones that are great shavers I have user grade duplicates of. I feel like I have to leave it as is.

I feel that these sets are one of the last great vintage wet shaving deals out there. I've got a NOS set and didn't pay much for it at all. But it rests in my display case and always gets compliments. Great get!

I know I feel the same way. Not only are the really good sets rare but they are just stunning to look at. Also get a lot of complaints on mine to.

i really like to shave with mine. i strop a about 10 times before i shave and then strop again before putting the blade away. if i rinse in hot water and do a basic dry with a towel then strop it seems that everything is dry and in good shape to put away. the stropping action is so much better than the Valets. these are just such cool razors. they are very smooth and mild when the roller is all the way out and can be very aggressive when the roller is adjusted back. i often change the setting between passes to get a good DFS shave.

i really like to shave with mine. i strop a about 10 times before i shave and then strop again before putting the blade away. if i rinse in hot water and do a basic dry with a towel then strop it seems that everything is dry and in good shape to put away. the stropping action is so much better than the Valets. these are just such cool razors. they are very smooth and mild when the roller is all the way out and can be very aggressive when the roller is adjusted back. i often change the setting between passes to get a good DFS shave.
I'll eventually get around to honing mine so that I can use it. For now, it's nice to look at.

I have this set as well.
I didn't use the wedge blades, rather modified a GEM blade.
I used a dremel to cut the blade a long the spine line, out the wedge blade slides off the mount and in comes the GEM.

It is a cool razor to look at but it is cumbersome, heavy and the shave it provides is ... Ok. I did this mod twice during the 5 years I have had it... Not planning on selling it either - too cool.

I have this set as well.
I didn't use the wedge blades, rather modified a GEM blade.
I used a dremel to cut the blade a long the spine line, out the wedge blade slides off the mount and in comes the GEM.

It is a cool razor to look at but it is cumbersome, heavy and the shave it provides is ... Ok. I did this mod twice during the 5 years I have had it... Not planning on selling it either - too cool.
I'll have to give this a try.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just to let you know, putting a Gem blade in an Empire gave me the single worst shave I have ever had in 30 years of wet shaving. I won't be using mine again till I get the proper blades honed up

Top Bottom