What's new

I got a Wade & Butcher for $10 at an Antique Store

Hi All,

I bought this razor about two and a half years ago, when I first got into this community, but I've never done anything with it.

Could some of you guys (who surely know more than me), tell me whether this is worth putting any money into having restored?

And are there going rates for restorations on the forums, or are those negotiated on a case-by-case basis?

I thought it looked pretty good - no nicks in the blade, and the edge is straight as an arrow. And the handle seems to be ivory, although I'd actually like to have it replaced.

It's wedge-shaped, with a slight hollow, and the actual physical width of the blade is just a hair over 5/8" across.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks,

-Gigz

Restore? If you like the vintage character just hone it up and use it. That's a good score!

Scales look like they could be Ivory or bone, hard to tell from the picture. If they're in good shape, at the very least keep them or sell them, don't just pitch 'em.

Sweet!

I should have mentioned, and conveniently forgot, that I have never shaved with a straight, hahaha.

Now I gotta get a honing stone, a strop, and some paste, and I'll be Sweeney Todd in no time!

That is a fine looking razor. I believe the handle are bone, not ivory. Nerdman does excellent work, PM him for an idea.

You could just hone and go, it is a nice looking razor as is. Why do you want to get rid of the scales, are they damaged?

First off, thank you for the referral.

And second, the reason I'd want the scales replaced is because they feel very fragile, and the blade does not fit into them very well... the blade is a wedge, and the scales are just straight up and down, and they bow out when the blade is closed. Well, and the blade also just flops right out, too. It spins freely, and I can just see myself slicing myself up nice and bloody.

If those are all just par for the course, then I guess I'll hang on to them. And I do like the vintage look. I would never want this blade cleaned up too much. It's pretty wicked looking, all aged and stuff. All I did is polish it up with Flitz.

XD

LOL

It may be because I'm not wearing my spectacles, but I think the scales are made of BONE. Surely ivory would be a lot smoother and less pockmarked?

Scales are supposed to bow a bit so that they tighten up at a certain point when you open the razor. I'd only do a light restore on that razor if it were mine. If you want that, you could send it to someone and ask for a light polish on the blade (no sandpaper or greaseless), and an original restore on the scales. They could shine those scales up, maybe even line them with some brass (or something else to add strength), and repin them. All that and a honing and you'd be good to go.

You could also go the heavy restore route, if you prefer. This one has a nice patina to my eyes and not a super-rusted and pitted look, which is why I suggested a lighter option.

Edit: scales are definitely bone on this one.

Yeah the more I stare at the pic the more they scream "bone!!!!"

Wait that didn't come out right....

At any rate, I personally would go with the light restore option too- that blade gives off a great vibe as is. The most I'd consider is have the thing repinned. Heck I'll buy it off the OP....

First off, thanks to all of you for taking a look and even more for commenting.

Second, they're definitely bone scales. I had to look it up. The lady in the antique shop said 'they may be ivory'.
Hmmm... I really didn't know the difference, but I'm thinking now that she must have. If she ever wants to buy a computer, I'll tell her that what she's looking at "may be an Intel". XD

And, ya, I think I'll send this off to someone who knows what they're doing to hone it, and then I can just use it for the next six months or so before it needs a second honing. By that time, I should have a feel for what a razor is supposed to feel like, and I can give it a go at honing by then.

And, the $10 Restoration Challenge sounds cool. I'll definitely need a pro for the honing, but I'll clean it up and either revive these filthy scales or put on a nice new set.

I'd really like to see that blade a little cleaner, but still instantly recognizable as vintage.

Sweetness.

<snip> Well, and the blade also just flops right out, too. It spins freely, and I can just see myself slicing myself up nice and bloody.<snip>

It is easy to peen the pin a bit to tighten it up. I have done this on a couple of vintage straight razors.

First off, thanks to all of you for taking a look and even more for commenting.

Second, they're definitely bone scales. I had to look it up. The lady in the antique shop said 'they may be ivory'.
Hmmm... I really didn't know the difference, but I'm thinking now that she must have. If she ever wants to buy a computer, I'll tell her that what she's looking at "may be an Intel". XD

And, ya, I think I'll send this off to someone who knows what they're doing to hone it, and then I can just use it for the next six months or so before it needs a second honing. By that time, I should have a feel for what a razor is supposed to feel like, and I can give it a go at honing by then.

And, the $10 Restoration Challenge sounds cool. I'll definitely need a pro for the honing, but I'll clean it up and either revive these filthy scales or put on a nice new set.

I'd really like to see that blade a little cleaner, but still instantly recognizable as vintage.

Sweetness.

Sounds like you are on the right track but you should not need to re-hone your razor for a year or so, that is if you strop properly and use a pasted strop ever now and then. It really is worth restoring. There appears to be a little spine wear but they just don't make steel like that these days. Go for it!

BTW - are bone handles particularly valuable? I'm thinking they wouldn't be, but I really don't know.

BTW - are bone handles particularly valuable? I'm thinking they wouldn't be, but I really don't know.

Not really. I just like original restores a lot, especially on the older blades that don't have messed up scales, so that's why I suggested keeping the scales as is.

WHATUP SMYRNA!!!

Nice, Bill! I work in Smyrna all the time! Hahaha small world, right?

Ya, I live in Franklin.

Hendersonville is a bit of a drive from where I live (Practically Spring Hill), but local would be cool.

You're not by any chance Bill the filmmaker are you?

If you say yes, I am so gonna rofl.

Nope not Bill the filmmaker. Except this one time.....but I wont go it to that.:ohmy: Anyways Nice to see another Mid TN guy in here.

I got to ask what antique store you got that one from I cant find any. I got one at the gun and knife show in the boro a few weeks back but that's all Ive seen.

I plan on getting a straight from him in about two months or so. Im a little closer to him than you but its still a drive.

There's a ridiculous amount of antique shops in Franklin. It's like the antiquing capital of the country. There's at least 30 shops, mostly around historic downtown Franklin.

I went to about 15-20 shops back in 2008 when I was looking for gifts for my groomsmen. I later bailed on the idea of giving shave gear to my groomsmen - i figured the razors and brushes wouldn't be appreciated - pearls before swine, haha.

However, in the process, I found quite a few good DE razors, but only one straight. There were several nice straights from great companies - DublDuks and what have you, but they were overpriced. To the point that I could have just about bought a brand new German razor for the same money. The one I bought looked like trash. They were surprised that I was interested in it, being that I came in looking for razors, they took me to the expensive ones, and I had to ask if there were any others not on display.

Worth your time if you want to spend a Saturday looking, but there's not a magic shop that had a big razor culture.

There's a ridiculous amount of antique shops in Franklin. It's like the antiquing capital of the country. There's at least 30 shops, mostly around historic downtown Franklin.

Yeah Lebanon and Watertown are like that but I came up empty. Only ones Ive seen for sale is at the gun and knife shows. Which reminds me I need to see when the next one is. :sneaky2:

Top Bottom