What's new

I Give Up - What is a Method Edge?

@camoloc , one of the discussions of finishing on a jnat, from a nagura progression vs a synthetic one was that the base and body of the edge were imparted into the edge. Of course, not everyone feels this way.

however finishing with paste after a jnat edge is a paste edge not a jnat edge.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
agreed.....

but....

who's to say there's no room for experimentation with different types of finishing edges before moving onward to the final gauntlet of balsa strop progressions?

thats my line of thinking anyways. are there differences between:

black or translucent Arks, Jnats, Cnats, Coti, etc then utilizing the progression?

although I have no way of testing them all (yet).......I'd place a wager that differences or "feels" could exist........but then again i might be guilty of over thinking this. nah!

camo
Unfortunately I don't have reasonable access to multiple different whetstones. Other than the silicone carbides that are available at the local hardware store, I have a natural of about 3k that I inherited from my grandfather and a Turkish natural of about 5k or 6k that was given to me a few years ago when I was in the middle east. For anything finer, I have to resort to films and diamond pastes.

Still, I'm happy with what I have as I get an edge that suits my needs. With you being an old(er) knife man, I can understand your desire to try different edge finishes.

@camoloc , one of the discussions of finishing on a jnat, from a nagura progression vs a synthetic one was that the base and body of the edge were imparted into the edge. Of course, not everyone feels this way.

however finishing with paste after a jnat edge is a paste edge not a jnat edge.

yepper.....understand that the paste is the final edge. no arguements with that.

but does what you use (or even how you use) prior affect this????? or all irrelevant due to the final edge being pasted?

camo

Here is an 8 year old discussion that asks the same question

I’m of the mindset that its a bit of both as an answer.

I have my own "Method"

Not saying it's "the" method or "a" method, but it's my "method," and it's subject to change depending on my mood, or the phase of the moon.

Top Bottom