What's new

i get the best of both worlds from pyramid method

some people seem to think its a sub par honer who uses the pyramid method. i dont understand this mentality. i get the best of both worlds from it. a comfortable and sharp edge , why does everyone hate on the pyramid so much. feel free to discuss

I have no idea of what it is. Do what works for you, don’t worry what anyone thinks.
a pyramid is where you take some stones and do this kind of pattern
25/25
15/15
10/10
5/5
3/3
1/3
1/5 the left side being the coarser stone the right being the finer you switch between stones for each sets ie. 25 laps on a 4k and 25 on an 8k then on down the lkist till o\your doing 1 on 4k and 5 on 8k

a pyramid is where you take some stones and do this kind of pattern
25/25
15/15
10/10
5/5
3/3
1/3
1/5 the left side being the coarser stone the right being the finer you switch between stones for each sets ie. 25 laps on a 4k and 25 on an 8k then on down the lkist till o\your doing 1 on 4k and 5 on 8k

If it works for ya great. Been honing far to long to change things now.

Congrats on finding your niche

If the method works for you, continue using it.

The pyramid method was developed many years ago by Lynn Abrams using Norton 4K/8K combination stones. For those who can shave off an 8K edge, the method might work. With my coarse beard and sensitive skin, I do not find an 8K edge to be either sharp enough for my beard nor smooth enough for my face. If I were to attempt the pyramid method, I would alternate between a 12K Naniwa and a 20K Suehiro Gokumyo.

The main thing when honing is that you have to use a sufficient number of strokes on higher grit hones to remove all of the scratches and stria created by lower grit stones. The pyramid method insures that you do that, but it is far from the only method.

Even though I have a Naniwa 12K, a Shapton Glass 16K, and a Suehiro G20K, I like finishing on very fine natural stones.No matter which finishing hone I use, I like using strops pasted with ultra fine abrasives to achieve a mirror polished edge.

I hadn’t heard of that one before. I started out with The Method and then transitioned to Naniwa stones using the same type of progression.

some people seem to think its a sub par honer who uses the pyramid method. i dont understand this mentality. i get the best of both worlds from it. a comfortable and sharp edge , why does everyone hate on the pyramid so much. feel free to discuss
If the pyramid method is defined as alternating or going back from a finer grit to a coarser grit i guess i am doing sort of the same thing with a nagura progression on a JNAT. After working the slurry it feels finer and finer. Then you move to your next nagura, and then it seems like the next nagura starts off coarser then what you finished on with your previous nagura.
I have also done coticule to JNAT, and finished on coticule. This, to me at least, gives a different edge then just a coticule finish alone.
I have no idea if there is any advantage in alternating between different grits with synthetic stones. As long as you get good results, that is all that matters. I am a minimalist when it comes to removing metal off my razors. I just feel like there will be some overlapping work done, and more material removed then needed. I guess this will depend on how well you manage your pressure as well. You are probably only removing a small amount of steel anyway.

1st off, if it is working for you then keep going with it. The proof is in the pudding.

Back when it was touted I always felt this (and some other methods) were an attempt to overly complicate a simple concept, and make it seem like it would be easier to pay a professional “honemeister”.
i find it easier tbh

Finishing on a Norton 4K/8K might seem great on paper….. but then what are you going to do with all that money that you didn’t spend on JNATS and Arks?

I, for one, cannot sit idly by and allow a world-wide recession to occur on my watch. No, sir.

Its is fine way to get started. Just like the method they use around these parts. But when you really decide to step up some day and learn the details, your edge will change. But do what works for you. After a few years i bet your opinion will change.

The usb microscope is a great tool to help you learn. But only when your ready to stop counting strokes and see what your doing. It has helped many people including myself.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Its is fine way to get started. Just like the method they use around these parts. But when you really decide to step up some day and learn the details, your edge will change. But do what works for you. After a few years i bet your opinion will change.

The usb microscope is a great tool to help you learn. But only when your ready to stop counting strokes and see what your doing. It has helped many people including myself.
My edges have certainly changed when using the B&B Method compared to using whetstones. My opinion has not changed. The Method still produces the keenest edge. Whetstone edges are different. For better or worse is debatable. It depends on what type of edge you prefer shaving with.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My edges have certainly changed when using the B&B Method compared to using whetstones. My opinion has not changed. The Method still produces the keenest edge. Whetstone edges are different. For better or worse is debatable. It depends on what type of edge you prefer shaving with.
What is the "B&B Method"?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
What is the "B&B Method"?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ahh, ok. Thanks!
That's a "Method" promoted by a member here.
It's NOT the B&B method, which implies a method developed or endorsed by B&B.
Could you please find another name and refer to it in a way that doesn't risk the use of an owned trademark?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Ahh, ok. Thanks!
That's a "Method" promoted by a member here.
It's NOT the B&B method, which implies a method developed or endorsed by B&B.
Could you please find another name and refer to it in a way that doesn't risk the use of an owned trademark?
The method is not promoted by "a member here" but rather many B&B forum members who have mastered the method. The method was developed by a group of B&B forum member (admittedly not by the B&B corporation), hence I referred to it as the B&B Method.

Obviously, from your post, this may upset the forum's administration so in future I will refrain from from using the term. Please accept my apology for this indiscretion.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The method is not promoted by "a member here" but rather many B&B forum members who have mastered the method. The method was developed by a group of B&B forum member (admittedly not by the B&B corporation), hence I referred to it as the B&B Method.

Obviously, from your post, this may upset the forum's administration so in future I will refrain from from using the term. Please accept my apology for this indiscretion.
No worries! Member Method, Slash Method, 2ZRQ121-7 Method, "The Cult Method" or something that doesn't infer that the site itself is involved or endorsing it!

I thought The Method just referred to the pasted balsa at the end? The actual honing instructions are pretty straightforward and work on whatever medium you choose, within reason.

As far as the Pyramid Method, I discovered various versions of it when I was first trying to figure out how to hone. It gets some criticism for being simplistic and kind of paint-by-numbers but that was the whole point.

It does work, though. It's probably overkill for many situations but it's worth thinking about *why* it works.

Top Bottom