What's new

I gave up coffee. Now I drink tea. Any suggestions?

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I have returned to drinking Russian Caravan tea alongside my regular Irish breakfast tea. Russian Caravan has a smoky flavour. A very nice alternative.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
my 0.02
cortisol levels are higher in the early morning hours, so wait a bit before that first cup of caffeine.
you may be able to tolerate coffee a lot better, and teas too, with this in mind.

Favorites:
White tea: Silver Pearls
Green tea: Gyokuro and Long-jing
Yellow tea: any
Black tea: Qimen
Oolong tea: Tieguanyin

Always whole leaf, follow the brewing instructions

In no special order:

PG Tips is my bog standard black for a builders.

Twinings Irish Breakfast or Celestial Seasons Morning Thunder for a pick me up.

Harney and Sons Cinnamon tea for something different.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have returned to drinking Russian Caravan tea alongside my regular Irish breakfast tea. Russian Caravan has a smoky flavour. A very nice alternative.
Russian Caravan tends to be a blend with lots of Lapsang Souchan, which gives that smoky flavour. So you can look that type of tea too.

Oolong is my favorite tea. Right in the middle between black and green tea in terms of fermentation and oxidation. Very fragrant, Very delicious, and lowers cholesterol

Hi. I rarely drank tea until I bought some loose leaf tea for my wife when she was home with our first child. Loose leaf tea is many levels above tea bags and I drink it all day now (coffee with breakfast still).
I got a kettle with an analogue thermometer in it, like in a bbq ltd. That's a cheap easy, way to get the water temperature right.
My key recommendation is an infuser mug like this https://www.amazon.com/Sweese-Taza-porcelana-infusor-onzas/dp/B01HEFCA92/ You can put your tea in the infuser, add the water and milk then go back to your desk or wherever. When the tea is ready you use the lid as a coaster for the infuser so you don't get drips. If means less waiting around.
And you can use the timer on your phone to remind you to take the infuser out.
Enjoy!

I drink Rooibos tea which doesn’t have any caffeine, you’ll only need to have coffee way before 12pm lunch time, because, the caffeine last about 5 or 6 hours in your system. Otherwise, you could lead towards of not getting enough sleep throughout the night.

So that’s why I choose Rooibos tea which doesn’t have any caffeine, try to avoid black and green tea after 12pm which also have caffeine.

Last edited:
If you don't mind caffeine, you might try yerba mate. In terms of caffeine, it is lower than coffee but higher than green tea. If caffeine is a no-go but you still want the concentration boost, look for spicy herbs like ginger.

Some of my favorite teas... twinning english and irish breakfast, twinning earl grey, peppermint, oolong, celestial seasoning wild berry and lemon zinger, tazo chai (nice and spicy), and Harney and sons hot cinnamon spice. So many good ones out there!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Have to agree with those who suggested Assam and Darjeeling.
Straight is fine, but a nice Assam with cream and sugar is hard to beat.
I drink my coffee black with no sugar but Assam tea just shines with it.

Last edited:
I've been trying the Japanese Bancha green tea lately. This is an everyday type of tea in Japan. It has a little caffeine, but not very much. Nice in the afternoon.

Certain intense Assam teas, brewed strong, with added milk, push some of the same buttons as coffee.

If you travel to China, do go to a tea shop and do some tasting. Branded tea and US suppliers can be very good, but there is stuff out there that is mind-blowing.

Beijing, in particular, has a whole street of tea vendors. When I bought some oolong there, they used some sort of machine to seal my purchase into little vacuum packed packets of maybe 2 teaspoons each. Because oolong is supposed to be super-fresh. It was the second-best oolong I ever tasted. The best was the competition grade at the same shop, but that was not in my price range.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have been buying Harney & Sons teas for the past several months now. I tried a whole bunch of them. Found some really good ones. But all in the bags though. I’m thinking I might want to venture out and try the loose leaf.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It's been several long years since I was last in Greenwich Village, but a visit to McNulty's is always worth the time.

Greetings folks

I gave up coffee. Yes, I know..what’s wrong with me? Been drinking it since I was 15ish. Crazy right?
I gave it up because I simply wanted to see if drinking less caffeine would make me feel any better. 3 weeks in and can’t say I feel a difference at all. But I’m going to push forward.

I didn’t think it wise to give up caffeine all together so I switched to tea. Mostly been drinking black tea because it has the most caffeine, but still a lot less than coffee.

So y’all got any suggestions on teas?

Here’s what I’m looking for:

• Tea bags...more convenient, but I’m not opposed to loose leaf
  • Black tea suggestions
  • Reputable tea selling websites
  • MUST HAVE tea accessories.

Over the years I’ve tried various teas such as Pu-Erh, Early Grey, Matcha, Black, Green, Herbal, Fruity, yadda yadda. Basically all the popular widely available stuff.

I drink it in the morning. And sometimes in the evening.

Thanks!
Earl Grey with a bit of sugar and a splash of milk. I used to think that I liked green tea until I tried English milk tea. Once I tried Earl Gray, there was no going back.

Top Bottom