What's new

I found this recent poll sobering...

shavefan

I’m not a fan
From Jan 17, 2020
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 1.56.19 PM.png

Social media, main stream media and politicians. Really. Great job all around.

They seem to have a new survey every day on just about anything,with ridiculous stats.
Who exactly is taking all these surveys?
I don't believe any of them!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
They seem to have a new survey every day on just about anything,with ridiculous stats.
Who exactly is taking all these surveys?
I don't believe any of them!

You may be correct. I found this regarding the survey...

This CBS News survey was conducted by YouGov using a nationally representative sample of 2,166 U.S. residents interviewed between January 13-16, 2021. This sample was weighted according to gender, age, race and education based on the American Community Survey, conducted by the U.S. Bureau of the Census, as well as the 2020 presidential vote and registration status. The margin of error is ±2.5 points.

Last edited:
working in the media, there are lots of pollsters out there constantly measuring things. I personally (oddly I started typing personna first) work with 3 major pollsters on a daily basis (Nielsen, ComScore and Marketron). They really do a pretty good job. However, as someone who uses them, it's up to the data presenter to show them honestly, as quite often good data can be spun to show things that aren't really there. That said, of COURSE our major threat has always been internal. 2020 has to have been the most violent year of my life. Americans have always done the best job of taking something really good and destroying it.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
working in the media, there are lots of pollsters out there constantly measuring things. I personally (oddly I started typing personna first) work with 3 major pollsters on a daily basis (Nielsen, ComScore and Marketron). They really do a pretty good job. However, as someone who uses them, it's up to the data presenter to show them honestly, as quite often good data can be spun to show things that aren't really there. That said, of COURSE our major threat has always been internal. 2020 has to have been the most violent year of my life. Americans have always done the best job of taking something really good and destroying it.

You said it brother. I just wish there were some "adults in the room" as it were, that are in charge. And I'm not talking about septuagenarians/octogenarians that act like children.

What would the poll look like if it had been taken on January 5th instead?
Also, people aren't free to speak their mind. They are forced to choose from the four options provided. Suspicious?
Suppose some one thought that the greatest threat was Trump, or right-wing talk-radio, or Twitter, or immigrants, or China, or Hollywood, or fascists, or...
And what does "...threat to America's way of life" even mean?
It seems the poll was created specifically to produced the result you see.
No one should trust these polls. This one's purpose is clearly to manipulate us.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
What would the poll look like if it had been taken on January 5th instead?
Also, people aren't free to speak their mind. They are forced to choose from the four options provided. Suspicious?
Suppose some one thought that the greatest threat was Trump, or right-wing talk-radio, or Twitter, or immigrants, or China, or Hollywood, or fascists, or...
And what does "...threat to America's way of life" even mean?
It seems the poll was created specifically to produced the result you see.
No one should trust these polls. This one's purpose is clearly to manipulate us.

You know, I see a point here.

I mean, say a poll from those in the PNW last summer about "what the biggest threat is" vs those in NYC at the same time. Most likely much different answers, even given the limited choices of this poll.

I hope this recent one is utter hogwash.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Statistics aside, there are only 3 types of people in the world: those who can count and those who can’t.

Top Bottom