What's new

I found me just the right vintage blade bank

Originally for children to put their coins into, used blades fit just as well. Saw this in an antique store and it now has a place in the shave den. It is a funny thing - go to an antique store and everything looks like it could be used for a lather bowl or a soap holder or a blade bank or...

Brought it home and carefully cleaned it inside and out with Scrubbing Bubbles. No key needed, the bolt screws into the nut on the back. Unscrew it and the front and back fall apart. Fun to repurpose something that has to be 100 years old. By the time it is full of blades I won't have to figure out what to do - let the kids figure it out!

IMG_8837.jpeg

IMG_8838.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally for children to put their coins into, used blades fit just as well. Saw this in an antique store and it now has a place in the shave den. It is a funny thing - go to an antique store and everything looks like it could be a lather bowl or a blade bank or...

Brought it home and carefully cleaned it inside and out with Scrubbing Bubbles. No key needed, the bolt screws into the nut on the back. Unscrew it and the front and back fall apart. Fun to repurpose something that has to be 100 years old. By the time it is full of blades I won't have to figure out what to do - let the kids figure it out!

View attachment 1655300

View attachment 1655301

That’s truly a nice find.
Congrats.

B.

How big is this, at first I though it might have been 2"*2" but then you advise blade fit and it used to hold coin and with a screw smack dab in the middle must be at least 5*5

That is cool.

I'm always on the lookout at antique stores for an old coin bank to use as a blade bank in my den. I just haven't found "the one". Yours is perfect.

That is cool.

I'm always on the lookout at antique stores for an old coin bank to use as a blade bank in my den. I just haven't found "the one". Yours is perfect.

Actually if you search on Etsy under, "Children's coin bank" there are a few vintage ones that pop up of similar vintage.

That's awesome! Here I thought I was the only one using a Mail Box Bank.

I use an old replica Canada Post coin bank. I have no idea how many years I've been using it, but it still has a long way to go. If it ever gets full, I'll empty it with slash gloves and start again.

Edit...looks like it's going on 10+ years for me.

PXL_20230609_000004604.jpg

Legion

Staff member
You know, I suspect, with all the ventilation holes in the back and fairly child proof screwdriver opening, I wouldn't be surprised if that was built with the intention of it being a blade bank, rather than a money box.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Most blade banks are disposable along with the blades. I would hate having to empty the cool banks I see in this thread, in order to keep it. I bought 2 of the little white, small tin banks for .99 cents apiece from a shaving a vendor when I started back in 2010. I'm still working on filling the first one 13 years later. It's getting there, but not quite.

But in all fairness, I shaved once every other day when I was working and now I'm retired, sometimes every other, but mostly every other two, more often than not. Some of those shaves are with a straight, shavette, de, se, and trac II carts, so not as many whole de blades or half blades go in it as those who only use de.

IMG_9030.jpeg

The saga continues...

I found another cast iron coin bank that I prefer (above) so the original one at the top of this thread will need to go. The first one came with its original screw and nut on the back that makes it complete. Unfortunately this one pictured here was without the fastener. So I went to my local Ace Hardware and thought this brass one looked great. I washed the parts with just dishwashing soap so the patina would remain. Then reassembled it, put some green felt pads on the bottom and will put it to use!

Top Bottom