What's new

I find this hard to believe

CFM even described the razor properly. His pics are great. There is paint loss on the tip. It's a common flare red tip super speed. no case. It's a $20 razor at best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gillette-Red-Tip-Super-Speed-Safety-Razor-1957-DE-TTO-NOS-Thin-Blades-C4-/271353815125?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=MRXO%252BPURouN8yrgfQqRur1xyr6M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Look, I've bought a razor off of CFM and GG too. They sometimes have something hard to find. I understood the premium I was putting out.

But a common Red Tip for over $100 + shipping???

You can't blame the seller for this one.

I know we don't like talking about pricing here - for a good reason. But I don't want any of our new members to get carried away in auctions like this one. You can easily get the range of prices by searching ebay and clicking on 'solds'. take the average cost, toss out the highs and lows. Don't let your heart guide your vintage razor purchases. Patience and perseverance will reward you.

-jim

I can't Imagine someone paying that much for that razor. I've always wondered if some of these sellers are shill bidding their razors to try and artificially inflate the market so they can sell them down the road for more than they are really worth. Of course, I could be completely off my rocker :)

I think the use of NOS in the title, referring to the blades, can be misleading, hope the buyer noticed the spots of brass showing and is ok with it, I would be surprised if the buyer is pleased with the price they paid for that razor, though red tip razors are definitely nice razors (I feel they shave similar to the late 40's Aristocrats).

is it fair to CFM to post a 'warning' to site members when his valid was fair and correctly labelled? I'm not sure this is the gentlemanly thing to do.

I've seen freshly rhodium replated versions go for less. I just don't think eBay bothers to regulate shill bidding and that's why the hide bidder IDs

is it fair to CFM to post a 'warning' to site members when his valid was fair and correctly labelled? I'm not sure this is the gentlemanly thing to do.

I gave him full credit for doing the right thing, I even stated that I have bought from him in the past. I did not disrespect CFM.

-jim

Judging from the winning bidder's recent history it looks like someone deep in the throes of RAD who's using a sniper, and maybe hasn't got the best judgement on what to spend. This same person has won most of CFM's recent auctions, including a loose Laurel for more than $80, a Ronson for more than $200, and a Damaskeene for over $100. Hopefully he/she can afford it...

Well heck, I have a Damaskeene, with case, albeit a bit worse for wear, they can have for $50... lol

That is crazy and no case or papers, he is literately hypnotizing innocent people somehow....he cant get me to give in though, i resist.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I'm tired of that guy and his auctions. I don't care how nice his pictures are, there's no legitimate reason for people to routinely pay such inflated prices for his razors.

I was about to post a new thread about an outrageous price for a Red-Tip and saw this thread sitting at the top. I thought we were talking about the same auction until I saw CFM mentioned.

This one went for $105, from a different seller! I was watching the auction and could only think that maybe 2 people were competing for their birth-year Red Tip or something. No case, it's in good but not perfect condition. Couldn't believe it went so high! Now I see this CFM auction mentioned above and wonder why we have 2 Red Tips going for such outrageous prices.

This is a legit question, but the fact is that he somehow sells razor after razor for absurdly high prices. I think the warning is warranted.

Judging from the winning bidder's recent history it looks like someone deep in the throes of RAD who's using a sniper, and maybe hasn't got the best judgement on what to spend. This same person has won most of CFM's recent auctions, including a loose Laurel for more than $80, a Ronson for more than $200, and a Damaskeene for over $100. Hopefully he/she can afford it...
Not sure if he/she can afford it because he/she just lost an auction for being scrimpy and only bidding ca. $ 879 on a razor.

Top Bottom