What's new

I find it amazing!!!!

I find it amazing that of the dozen different razors I own all the way up to the new Merker 34c and 39c the oldest razor I have, the Gillette old style that's close to 100 years old gives me the best shave.

I'm not surprised at all! I've been doing my best to spread the word about "the best razor ever made" for years! It's just a plain little razor that can be had for a song, but it gives a shave that can't be beat! :thumbsup:

Is that the gillette old type single ring or ball end? Open comb? How does it compare to the new type? Love my 34c and get great shaves. Have the New type and it is good too but a little more agressive than the 34c.

Is that the gillette old type single ring or ball end? Open comb? How does it compare to the new type? Love my 34c and get great shaves. Have the New type and it is good too but a little more agressive than the 34c.
Ball end. I have the New LC also which to me is a little less aggressive and will not give as close of shave as the old type. The old type takes a more delicate touch.

Funny. I was reflecting on my shave the other day with a Razorock Old Type and how it just doesn't shave as closely as my various vintage Old Types. I have a Ball End and Single Ring and I have paired a Tech Fat Handle, an Ikon Bulldog handle and a Razorock Barber Pole handle with the vintage Old Type head and absolutely love the shaves I get from it. I reach for my Old Types more than any other razor I have, and I have plenty. The Old Type may very well be the best of Gillette. It may have been their first but maybe it should have been their last.

I'm really coming to the conclusion that it's more about technique than it is about the razor. I mean it's nice to have say a wolfman but does it truly outperform say a Gillette red tip? I get great shaves from all my razors. I like others more than some but it's more about what they look like than how they perform in terms of where I rank them. Don't get me wrong there are some that are slightly more aggressive and will get the job done some what quicker. I honestly think it's more about the soap/cream than the razor itself. I just shaved this morning with a Gillette black tip that I picked up off Ebay for $8 and it did just as good a job as my wunderbar in the same amount of time. Just sayin

+1! Technique trumps most everything else IMHO! This is spoken from a guy who appreciates workmanship in razors.

With notable exceptions like the R41 and Futur, safe to say that current models are generally milder than vintage models?

I'm not surprised at all! I've been doing my best to spread the word about "the best razor ever made" for years! It's just a plain little razor that can be had for a song, but it gives a shave that can't be beat! :thumbsup:

It sucks to say that Toby is right, but truth be told, he's right....:001_tt2:

I have an old style thin cap and a thick cap. Deciding on what one is first.
A NEW SC has given me about the best shave yet.
But then again I have to practice with my "new to me" Above the Tie.
I need to take my 2 slants out of the box and try them sometime.
Iv'e got a shiny Schone wanting attention.
My Rockwell 6S is feeling neglected and calling out to me.
Sadly (not really), I will return to the old school Gillette's and find Nirvana.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
America, in the 1930s, reached the pinnacle of shaving perfection with the Gillette NEW model.

A sad decline reached its zenith the Mach $$$$$$$$ carts - which have to be locked away from desperate unshaven shoplifters.

AA

1sidar.jpg

I have shaved with a wide variety of razors both modern and vintage and my silver plated Old Style Big Fellow shaves as efficiently and smoothly as any razor I've ever tried and it's better looking.

Glenn

Top Bottom