What's new

I finally took the plunge and bought a DSLR

What he said. :)

I do the conversions like this, take the number and add half again that number to approximate what we remember from the old 35mm film cameras.

So, a 50mm is more like a 75mm.

As long as you don't call it a "magnification factor", it's fine with me :wink2:

A 50mm does not suddenly behave like a 75mm ... it still is a 50mm, but you use a smaller portion of the image circle.

Pretty much any brand name DSLR/kit lens will be more than adequate for starters. Don't worry about what you have and it's limitations, etc. Get out and shoot; as you get deeper into serious photography, you'll be in a better position to determine what you really need to accomplish your goals. Don't forget, if you really get serious you will have to develop (no pun intended) computer and post-processing skils (hardware and software costs) and maybe get a printer. Just get out and shoot.

I also bought an SL1 recently, after many years with Canon's SLRs and DSLRs. I really don't think it's just for beginners. It can do just about anything that any non-professional could want it to do, and do it better than the most expensive cameras that were available just a few years ago. My reason for getting it, aside from the fact that I got an incredibly good deal, was to save weight and space for hikes. Have fun!

Lots of good advice here. And, there's a lot of great info available online. I like Ken Rockwell, but sometime you need to take his advice with a grain of salt. Adorama has some excellent videos on all aspects of photography on their website and also on Youtube. I'd also suggest considering a book by Bryan Peterson - Understanding Exposure. Well worth the price for the amount of information you receive. If you are thinking about landscapes you may also want to consider a tripod. Nothing can ruin a great shot more than having it come out fuzzy (not sharp). Good luck, and don't be bashful about posting photos and seeking advice!

Pretty much any brand name DSLR/kit lens will be more than adequate for starters. Don't worry about what you have and it's limitations, etc. Get out and shoot; as you get deeper into serious photography, you'll be in a better position to determine what you really need to accomplish your goals. Don't forget, if you really get serious you will have to develop (no pun intended) computer and post-processing skils (hardware and software costs) and maybe get a printer. Just get out and shoot.

Also watch out - many here are familiar with RAD, but LAD (Lens Acquisition Disorder) can be quite brutal! :001_rolle

I'd also suggest considering a book by Bryan Peterson - Understanding Exposure.

Funny you mention that - I had actually reserved that exact book at the library last week (before I even bought this camera). I got an email Sunday morning that a copy was available and on hold for me. It's now sitting on the night stand, and I will probably take a look tonight.
Also watch out - many here are familiar with RAD, but LAD (Lens Acquisition Disorder) can be quite brutal! :001_rolle

That's what I'm afraid of!

Congrats on the new DSLR!!! Once you figure out the camera, make sure you work with it off of full manual. The true strength of a DSLR is setting the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO the way you want it. It opens up a whole new world.

I've also heard it referred to as G.A.S. - gear acquisition syndrome.

It also has a nasty habit of being paralysing..."darn, I could shoot this better with xxx/x.x lens" or "I don't shoot that style becaue I don't have the equipment for it"

Just go shoot. See the world in shades of light and dark, form and composition, texture and detail. Not in f/stops, shutter speeds or 5-digit iso performance. Shoot. See an image, shoot it. Never apologize for your images, but also don't close yourself off by defending it to the death. If YOU see it, If YOU like it, YOU shoot it. After a while things will sort themselves out to become what you intend them to be, but only if you go shoot. I've never seen a great photographer made with a credit card. I have seen a great photographer be born through 100's of thousands of images on the same camera.

Take your lens and camera for a walk, and shoot everything you see. You might be surprised by what is there.

-Xander

Top Bottom