What's new

I finally ordered R41

GP are terrific for me too. Feathers and GP are my two favorites. Nacet, Perma-Sharp, 7 o'clock black, Personna Labs - those are also very nice but Feather and GP are my preferred. I have a couple of King C Gillette blades to try one of these days.

I am also new the R41. I am on my 4th shave. I have been blown away on how this razor gets a wrap for being super aggressive legend.
it was with it’s 2011 head. Since 2013 it’ much more tamed. I think R41 GS is little bit more aggressive again. (If I compare it with 2013 R41).

GP are terrific for me too. Feathers and GP are my two favorites. Nacet, Perma-Sharp, 7 o'clock black, Personna Labs - those are also very nice but Feather and GP are my preferred. I have a couple of King C Gillette blades to try one of these days.
Will try getting round to the Gillette 7 black ... cheers
I’m with you in the gp & feather fan club!

Hello fellow enthusiasts:

I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster.

My Muhle r41 (black/chrome) arrived today! In anxious anticipation, I've shaved neither my face nor head for 5 days. Hoping for amazing results.

My previous blood lettings - hahahah - I mean DE shaves have been with: Gillette Super Adjustable 109, Body Toolz CS5500, Rockwell 6s, Parker Variant, and Merkur 34c.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to the B&B community, @AJ Monte .

You'll fit in quickly here. We have a fine assembly of wonderful people from all walks of life. There are decades of shaving experience from which to gain knowledge and the wisdom to use it. ;)

S

Scrubby

Fellas

Finally ordered the R41 rose gold… I oddly seem to enjoy shaving everyday … been using 39c for year n half or so daily … got bored and was tempted with Futur but stuff it… have ordered the muhle ….

FYI …. If anyone interested Gillette yellow are the nuts for the merkur 39c slant …

So R41 on way … have plenty Feathers, Gillette Yellow and Green blades kicking around … what’s the other best blades most happy with that in R41?

In advance anticipation … cheers 🍻

👍
Timor for me

Gents:

I used the newly arrived Muhle r41 razor for the first time tonight.

Headline:
Fantastic. Love it! Highly recommend. Would buy again - with modification. Will upgrade to SS

Background:
Anthropometrics: Beard density average 5 of 10. Skin toughness 8 of 10. Head: Colonel Klink-ish balding. Hands: men's gloves large. Hair: average thickness and a mosaic of white, black, and chestnut.

Circumstance: Had not shaved for 7 days - so I could give this razor a good go

Preparation: Hot water hand rubbed on shave area. A little too much (I was anxious) Van Der Hagen shave butter applied by fingertips. (I would have normally knocked down the growth with a quick pass of a Norelco Hair trimmer, but I forewent that accommodation to test the performance of the razor.) Popped a Parker Premium Platinum blade that had one prior use in to the brand new Muhle r41.

The shave:
Face: I was nervous. I rode the head and rocked it to test the blade feel/angle before starting. I went slowly. Very slowly. With the grain. I could feel the responsiveness of the blade edge to even the slightest change in the handle angle. I noticed that the head retained the heat of the hot water rinse more so than I had ever experienced. But then again, I had the water super-hot and was going extra slowly due to the aggressive reputation of the tool. Cut thru my hair like butter. Smooth and comfortable even with the noticeable blade feel. No issues around the adam's apple, chin, or under nose. Really impressed and really liked it. Did one pass with some buffing - done. I would not say BBS but certainly close enough to go to church, work, or school.

Head: I was now more confident. Normally for me and unconventionally to the rest of the world, I do an ATG pass and an XTG pass. I could feel the blade when I first reached back and placed the razor on the back of my neck. I remembered to go slow and to work the proper blade angle. I noticed then that the black handle was definitely slipperier than my other razors. That I did not like. I found the razor handle sliding a bit rotationally and vertically. I ended up choking-up on to the neck and using my palm as a lock. Manageable but not preferrable. Nevertheless, the razor did its job smoothly and efficiently. I did not need to do a second XTG pass.

Ears: You yougins don't laugh! I shaved the back edges and tops of my ears as normal with typical results.

Clean up:
I disassembled the razor. Again, I took note of the slippery black handle - which looks amazing but could use some more grit. I rinsed off all the parts including the blade. The underside of the blade was adorned with a 10mm x 3 mm black goopy square just behind the leading edge of the blade and only on one side. I am sure it was from the excessive amount of VDH butter that I nervously applied on my face. I do not normally have that phenomenon with VDH butter.

After shave:
I rubbed the residual VDH butter into my face and scalp. I splashed on some 4711 Eau de Cologne. Done.

Cons:
  • The handle was slippery. This may be partly a design issue and partly a user issue. I was going slower, softer, and less pressure than normal. I will learn more on the next shave.
  • The reputation for aggressiveness got in my head.
  • The razor is beautiful. Its appearance a bit to fine for my razor as a craftsman tool paradigm
Pros:
  • It was efficient, smooth, responsive.
  • Effectively and quickly mowed down a full week of growth.
  • Non-abrasive.
  • Fit, finish, shine is fantastic.
  • Despite my apprehension, it gave a really nice, smooth, close comfortable shave.
  • It performed particularly well on my head (notwithstanding the handle). Better than any other razor I have used.
Conclusion:
A really nice comfortable, smooth, close shave on face and head (and ears - hahah). I would highly recommend. Everyone's likes, hair, and skin are different, but if you are in the bell-curve, I would not shy away from the r41 based its reputation of aggressiveness or fear of harshness. (My pre-shave and post-shave routine is only a half step higher than a caveman's - no offense to any caveman reading this)

A really well manufactured razor. Looks great. Super lines. Great fit and finish. I prefer (ok insist upon) the look of black handles on a steel/chrome razor. However, I would suggest you try one of the other styles to maybe get a better grip.

I also think having an open comb razor is nice to have in the collection.

I am going to shave again tomorrow to evaluate its performance with a small amount of beard growth. If it does as well, I will consider upgrading to the stainless steel for reasons of: longevity, different handle, more weight, and an excuse to buy another really cool razor.

I hope this information is helpful!

Polsilver Iridium, but hard to find these days - haven't used my R41 for a long time
If you seek a challenge, the Futur is worth while too
I bought the Futur as well about month or so back - 🍻 ….. yes I wanted the additional challenge !!

Last edited:
I still love the R41 guys - it gives probably the best/closest shave I’ve ever had.

It’s so much different to the Merkur 39c …

Also I’m pretty sure it’s closer shave than the Futur. However the Futur does get naughty if clang around face anywhere near mid to wide open. If anyone looking and thinking of a Futur … be wise and dial down the settings shaving around philtrum.

Congrats! The R41 really is an efficient razor. I got it in stainless steel, but the handle it comes with isn't my favorite to use (although it looks really nice). I got an R89 with the tortoiseshell handle and I use that handle with the stainless steel R41 head. The weight and balance seems just right.

Top Bottom