What's new

I finally mastered MWF !

My first order of MWF will be here tomorrow. Will use my normal method of building a lather on the puck but as I've been reading, I'll treat it as a thirsty soap (add a bit more water in the puck soak)

My first order of MWF will be here tomorrow. Will use my normal method of building a lather on the puck but as I've been reading, I'll treat it as a thirsty soap (add a bit more water in the puck soak)
Load, load, and load some more. BTW, if your method doesn't work, just soak it overnight with enough water to cover the puck in the container or mug and it will be perfect the next day.

Maybe you should send the other one to Mitchell's so they can see what's up? Who knows, they might even send you a replacement.

I used MWDMF today. Twice, but tbf, the first was a test lather.

The first time I loaded really heavy as advised. The brush was a bit too wet, but after some good hand lathering it turned out perfect. That was the scratchy boar I was using. On to the Badger.

I loaded less, as I had way to much before.

At first it was foamy, but it soon turned into dense creamy lather. Very slick.

While people say they have no issues lathering it with their hard water, I wonder if the type of minerals in the water make a difference.

Eg, does fluoride matter? Is it particularly tricky in flint michigan?

I would be interested to see what happens if 2 people; One struggling to lather and one not, were to swap bottles of there hard water to see what happens.

Maybe hard water is relative. Person A's water is hard (but they don't struggle) person B's water is super hard so they do struggle.

I guess MWF is simply not for everyone. There are countless other soaps and creams that won't give those people who seem to have MWF troubles any problems.

...While people say they have no issues lathering it with their hard water, I wonder if the type of minerals in the water make a difference.

Eg, does fluoride matter? Is it particularly tricky in flint michigan?

I would be interested to see what happens if 2 people; One struggling to lather and one not, were to swap bottles of there hard water to see what happens.

Maybe hard water is relative. Person A's water is hard (but they don't struggle) person B's water is super hard so they do struggle.
The usual problem minerals with hard water are calcium and magnesium.

I don't know. Our water is hard and rusty. I got another great lather and shave, today, with the MWF. I was going to use another soap just to switch it up, but I just couldn't bring myself to break away from The Fat.

Join me for Fat Friday!

Load, load, and load some more. BTW, if your method doesn't work, just soak it overnight with enough water to cover the puck in the container or mug and it will be perfect the next day.
Received MWF on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning I used first my method and then Dan's, both times I worked up a great lather BUT after applying the lather it started to dissipate but leaving a very slick residue and very nice lasting scent. Was able to get a great BBS by reapplying using the residue, the scent stayed with me for a long while. Will I buy it again? No. A kilo of Cella or Vitos is still my top choice. Think I'll try Ogallala next But Cella/Vito and Arko Stick(bowl pressed) will always be on the top shelf

Here is my final take after 2 months of use.
I can only get a great lather if I use a boar brush, not with a synthetic. Never mind, I love boar brushes.
I need to lad the puck longer than a "regular" soap (like Tabac, stirling etc).
The lather is not the creamiest or the most dense but the flide and protection are definitively among the best I've tried, maybe even the number 1 .

I'll buy it again for sure, MWF is a classic !

Here is my final take after 2 months of use.
I can only get a great lather if I use a boar brush, not with a synthetic. Never mind, I love boar brushes.
I need to lad the puck longer than a "regular" soap (like Tabac, stirling etc).
The lather is not the creamiest or the most dense but the flide and protection are definitively among the best I've tried, maybe even the number 1 .

I'll buy it again for sure, MWF is a classic !
Sorry to hear you have issues lathering. I just got my first MWF puck last week and I get massive lather with just a few swirls on the puck with my synthetic brush. Maybe a difference in our water. I am surprised it lathers so easily after reading about other folks having difficulty.

My town has really good tap water that isn't very hard. I get heaps of creamy MWF lather with just a few swirls of a wet boar brush whether I start with cold water or warm water.

I wonder if people having trouble getting MWF to lather have tried with water from one of those Water Filter jugs (like Britta or Mavea etc.) because they do soften water as well as filtering it. Or distilled water just to see if that makes the difference.

My recommendation is to use distilled water if you are not successful with your tap water.

It seems as if water makes a difference. I have extremely hard water and have a hard time making a lather with soaps containing lanolin. I had trouble with MWF and gave up but then successfully used club soda/seltzer with Myrsol soap. Another member recently tried MWF with distilled water and got a great lather.

MWF contains magnesium sulfate.
This ingredient can be a lather killer in hard water.

Anyone having trouble with MWF should try it with soft water.

I use RO water when lathering any soap, just to remove the water variable and also to get optimal performance from any soap I use.

Been there. Bought into the MWF hype in 07 when I started all of this….

I finished my first puck this year. Never could quite get the lather right. Bought a new puck this year. Maybe it’s the 15 years of training that did the trick - but I finally got it. I probably went 10 - 12 years without even touching that first puck.

The trick for me: using less water, working my way up to the right amount, dribble by dribble. And face lathering. Oh, and a lot of soap on the brush. Awesome lather.

Received MWF on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning I used first my method and then Dan's, both times I worked up a great lather BUT after applying the lather it started to dissipate but leaving a very slick residue and very nice lasting scent. Was able to get a great BBS by reapplying using the residue, the scent stayed with me for a long while. Will I buy it again? No. A kilo of Cella or Vitos is still my top choice. Think I'll try Ogallala next But Cella/Vito and Arko Stick(bowl pressed) will always be on the top shelf
Hi Tallships, Happy holidays!

If you have a good boar brush handy try your MWF with my technique in my post#57 in the thread linked below. Basically adapted my Williams soap approach of building the lather directly on the puck. Start with a dry puck and load/build for a minute on the puck and then finish via face lathering. Add a bit of water if needed. Plenty of excellent lather that does not dissipate for multiple passes.

Have found the MWF lathering characteristics to be very similar to Williams. Not surprised given use of the same top three ingredients. Main difference is a better post shave feel with MWF and mild, more pleasing scent. Pictures of the basic equipment I use in the post below.

Top Bottom