What's new

I FINALLY GOT IT

I DID IT!!!! i think i finally got an edge that is actually shave ready.it was very sharp. sharper than i ever had one before it was smooth and comfortable andcut the hair with almost nill tugging "had tugging a tiny bit against the grain! iused a 2 stone hone method with the slate. i had a hard time getting all the way to the heel and all the way to the toe and all the width of the the bevel. but when i strop and look at the edge its chrome polished and the rest is a little hazy. im so proud of myself!!!! i know ive said that before but this edge was more comfortable than any DE blade ive shaved with and just as sharp still could be improved but wow its singing

I DID IT!!!! i think i finally got an edge that is actually shave ready.it was very sharp. sharper than i ever had one before it was smooth and comfortable andcut the hair with almost nill tugging "had tugging a tiny bit against the grain! iused a 2 stone hone method with the slate. i had a hard time getting all the way to the heel and all the way to the toe and all the width of the the bevel. but when i strop and look at the edge its chrome polished and the rest is a little hazy. im so proud of myself!!!! i know ive said that before but this edge was more comfortable than any DE blade ive shaved with and just as sharp still could be improved but wow its singing

Congratulations! I've been reading your posts about your journey and have read how hard you've tried to make this work for you.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Congratulations on your recent success. It’s a sense of accomplishment to hone and maintain an edge on your straight razor. I know the feeling and am learning all the time.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Congrats! As others said, it gets easier and better. It’s all just practice.

I've been hit in the head a lot but if memory serves me you had a Vermont slate right? What was your other stone? I need to put time in on my Vermont. I've barely used it at all since I bought it and it's 8x3. It seems real hard and fine. I don't know if I even lapped it or just buffed it with a slurry stone a few times.

a 1k/6k king stone. but im not using the 6 k anymore just the one k to set the bevel using the other one with slurry to get the rest of the way there

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Staggers and Jags, feels good, doesn't it, gett a great shave form an edge that you prepared yourself.

I must be approaching about a hundred SR honings from bevel set to shave-ready. Still I am improving. Will this ever stop?

Congrats! I remember my first shavable edge and it was really enjoyable and exciting to finally get it down. The tugging going ATG might be more of an issue with your technique than the edge, but you'll get better at both so that will help in the future.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Tugging ATG? Flatten the shave angle and reduce the pressure against the skin even more. You will be surprised at how low you can have the shave angle and still remove the lather.

Top Bottom