What's new

I finally found them: dress boots!

I live in NorCal, so it's not like we get "winter", per se. What we get is some rain, sometimes. However, on those occasions, or when it's our version of cold, I have been wishing that I had some dress boots to wear with my work clothes. I have an aversion to rain soaking my ankles if I happen to step into a puddle.

I started looking, but didn't find anything that suited me (no pun intended). Pointy toes, leather soles, boring design or shiny leather; none of those fit the bill.

Then I stumbled upon an English classic that ticked all the boxes: Grenson. Specifically, the Fred boot - a lovely brogue wing tip - with the rubber commando sole. Just the right combination of classic and classy, stylish and flexible. They can be dressed up or down and should last a lifetime, especially since they can be resoled, and all for a reasonable price for a pair of "forever" boots.

I placed my order on the Outdoor Attire site. I didn't realize that the company is in the UK, because I was on their US site. The order went smoothly enough and I was given a delivery date, with free shipping, just two business days in the future...and then I realized the boots were coming from England! I was prepared to wait two weeks rather than two days.

However, true to their word, the boots just arrived, mid-morning on the second day. Thinking about the fact that I'll have to ship them back to the UK if they don't fit, I opened the box to have a look.

Grenson_box_1.jpg
Grenson_box_2.jpg

Oh, my - just as handsome as in the pictures! This was going well so far, but they still had to fit. I wear a 9M in AE, Kenneth Cole and Johnston & Murphy, so the US 9/UK 8 should be correct...

Grenson_boot_1.jpg
Grenson_boot_2.jpg

I put them on, and...perfect! Oh, yes, these will do nicely. :001_wub: Now I get to wear them around the house (as I work from home) to break them in.

Grenson_boot_on.jpg

Apologies for the dirty mirror, but I was so excited that I didn't take the time to clean it. These will work with jeans, chinos and a well-chosen suit - the navy blue, I believe.

Success! From "I've never heard of this brand" to "OMGthesearesoawesome" in just a couple of days. Now, do I spring for the black ones, too? :devil:

Great looking pair of boots. I have been eyeballing similar designs. Cannot nail down either wing tip or cap toe. Black? Brown? UGh Decisions. How did you pull the trigger? LOL

I will be awaiting your 1yr, 5yr, 10yr, and resole updates before I determine if they are worth the $$$.

Great looking pair of boots. I have been eyeballing similar designs. Cannot nail down either wing tip or cap toe. Black? Brown? UGh Decisions. How did you pull the trigger? LOL

I will be awaiting your 1yr, 5yr, 10yr, and resole updates before I determine if they are worth the $$$.
Nice...I may have to and those to my collection...I normally wear Lucchese as my dress boots.
I'm definitely a "wing tips" guy. I inherited a pair of AE cap toes from my dad, but I find myself reaching for one of my four pairs of wing tips far more often. Well, now I guess it's five pairs of wing tips. In any case, these will help to keep my feet warm and dry - if there's something that the English know, it's how to weather the weather!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Now, do I spring for the black ones, too? :devil:

Congratulations on finding a boot you like! I'd suggest letting this pair break in, and then wearing them on a regular basis (but not two days in a row ... they need to breathe and dry out between wearings) for a while and see how you feel after a few months of that.

If ... and only if ... the fit is absolutely "I'd walk a mile in these easy" perfect, and the construction quality appears to be holding up, then and only then spring for another pair. There's nothing worse than having a closet full of expensive footwear you don't really wear much because they don't really fit right.

Congratulations on finding a boot you like! I'd suggest letting this pair break in, and then wearing them on a regular basis (but not two days in a row ... they need to breathe and dry out between wearings) for a while and see how you feel after a few months of that.

If ... and only if ... the fit is absolutely "I'd walk a mile in these easy" perfect, and the construction quality appears to be holding up, then and only then spring for another pair. There's nothing worse than having a closet full of expensive footwear you don't really wear much because they don't really fit right.
Excellent advice, kind sir. I'm suffering from the blush of new love, but time and patience will serve me better. :ouch1:

In the meantime, I should look for some tweed trousers!
The Fred triple welt in black wingtip!!!...😍😍😍😍...I see an Xmas present for myself
I know - those are sexy, right? Hubba, hubba! But as Doc said, I really should wait to be sure that I need/want a second pair.

You, however, are under no such constraint... ;)

Excellent advice, kind sir. I'm suffering from the blush of new love, but time and patience will serve me better. :ouch1:

In the meantime, I should look for some tweed trousers!

I know - those are sexy, right? Hubba, hubba! But as Doc said, I really should wait to be sure that I need/want a second pair.

You, however, are under no such constraint... ;)
I understand what doc said...But I am willing to suffer to look that good...lol

In my part of the world a dress boot looks like this
I had some awesome boots when I lived in Reno - lizard leather and cowhide upper with the hair still on it. I enjoyed asking ladies if they would like to pet my boots. I got some odd reactions...and some phone numbers.

However, that was many years ago and life has changed. SWMBO is not down with the cowboy boots and they don't really fit my current lifestyle. :)

Man those are some beautiful boots! Beautiful. So much so, I decided I had to get myself a pair! And then I saw the price. Those aren’t buy on a whim shoes, that’s for sure. I’ll need to think a little harder about it. I’m about a $200.00 guy.

Man those are some beautiful boots! Beautiful. So much so, I decided I had to get myself a pair! And then I saw the price. Those aren’t buy on a whim shoes, that’s for sure. I’ll need to think a little harder about it. I’m about a $200.00 guy.
I understand. Like I said, I believe that these will be my "forever" dress boots. I'm willing to pay for the quality rather than going through several cheap pairs that end up costing more in the long run. :)

(And now that I've said that, I have to hope that they don't fall apart in the first year...)

I understand. Like I said, I believe that these will be my "forever" dress boots. I'm willing to pay for the quality rather than going through several cheap pairs that end up costing more in the long run. :)

(And now that I've said that, I have to hope that they don't fall apart in the first year...)
I‘m on board with you. I’m too poor to buy cheap shoes myself.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I visited two Grenson shops last year during my vacation in London. They have some truly nice shoes, very unique in style and with a more "robust" look compared to other English brands. Great!

Congratulation on your new beautiful boots, Sir! :thumbsup:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Check out Allen Edmonds ... they make a good model (longbranch?) And if you can get seconds or a sale you may be happy.

I visited two Grenson shops last year during my vacation in London. They have some truly nice shoes, very unique in style and with a more "robust" look compared to other English brands. Great!

Congratulation on your new beautiful boots, Sir! :thumbsup:

The top of the line English "country dress boot" maker is Tricker's. The OP's boots look a lot like Tricker's, but just a little more affordable. There are other great makers who offer a more "dress-dress boot" version (sharper toe, less chunky sole, no storm well) like Alfred Sargent, Peel, and on up the ladder ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom