What's new

I finally figured it out!

I am a relatively new wet shaver (since March, 2019 - maybe 5 or 6 months). Over that time, I have watched many videos, read several shaving related web pages, etc. I have experimented with razors, blades, creams, soaps, etc. My final discovery was which shave oil to use. I finally figured it out. The shave oil I now use is... drum roll here... Cremo brushless shave cream. It works amazingly well. Here is what I have settled on:

Razors (in this order): Parker Progressive, Merkur Progress, 2 Fatboys
Cream / Soap: Stirling soap (several flavors), TOBS (Sandalwood, Cedarwood)
Blades (in this order): Personna Lab Blues, Vokshod
Shave Oil: Cremo brushless shave cream
Brush: Silver tip badger (have two or three)
Scuttle: Yes

I'd be interested in hearing what other newbies have finally settled on

Welcome aboard! You've made some great choices to start! I started DE shaving this year, and I've settled on this as my best setup for my face.

Gillette NEW Short Comb
Astra SP
Stirling Soap and Balm

DeepPrpl so glad you have found what works for you!

I also started in March and went down the rabbit hole. I have four Timeless razors, two EJ89’s, one Muhle R89, 11 vintage Gillette’s, 4 vintage Schick’s ( 3 injectors & one Krona ) two Proraso soaps and four Proraso creams, TOBS Sandalwood and 14 TOBS samples, St James of London Sandalwood, two Proraso pre shave creams and 11 different shave sticks.

I lean towards the 4 Timeless razors with a mix of vintage, I like the Proraso pre shave creams and my favorite used to be TOBS or the St James Sandalwood, but I really am enjoying trying the shaving sticks. I prefer Gillette Platinum blades but still have some from a sampler pack to try.

I guess I am still searching for the perfect shave. My RAD is satisfied after getting the Timeless razors but still searching for the perfect soap or cream.

Welcome, glad you your way here. Thanks for posting what is currently working, looks like a good setup. Regardless of what you're using, de or se, it is advisable to use the exact same setup for at least 4 weeks in a row. This is known as a Fixed 4 & it allows you to focus on beginning to learn proper technique instead of changing razors, soaps, brand of blade or brush every other shave, or once a week. It takes a consistent setup to remove the variables so you can focus on learning about blade angle, no pressure, to name just a couple of important learning curves to get up. Each time you change one item (razor, soap/cream, brand of blade, brush) you have introduced a variable. Being new we aren't knowledgable to recognize, or even know, how this variable affects our shave.

So as much as we want to run & jump head first into a rabbit hole, I suggest waiting & learning technique. That way, when you are shopping for a new/used razor, you'll know what you like & what you don't like. And more importantly, you'll know why you do or don't like it.

Welcome & enjoy!

Glad you got it figured out.

I settled on a Merkur open comb with a long handle, Persona blues, and a Tweezerman boar brush. All inexpensive yet give me a great comfortable shave. Two passes and i get a really good shave. Three passes give me a very smooth, close shave.

I tried a Schõne razor hoping for a more aggressive, efficient shave and a nicely made razor. After the experiment I decided I was happy with my Merkur razor. I liked the materials of the Schõne razor but the shave was too aggressive. I could manage it with care, and only two passes but I did not find it pleasurable. I'd like a nice fully brass or stainless steel razor but I'm not convinced it will shave better than my Merkur.

So, I've decided I'm happy where I am. I've played with a third razor, a Bakelite slant, it was very inexpensive and fun. I'm not sure when I'd really use it.

I have a scuttle and like it when I bowl lather. Lately, I've been using a shave stick, Arko or Tabac, and face lathering. For aftershave, I have a lot but keep going back to Lucky Tiger. I do like to match soaps and aftershaves by brand or country. It's fun.

Enjoy what you have and I'm glad you found what works for you.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Top Bottom