What's new

I feel like I’m starting all over again (And not in a good way!)

The Hawk V3 is a fantastic razor. I have two: SB and OC. I have a feeling that the most aggressive version is a bit beyond me, so I'm stickin' with two for now.

With a guarded Kai Pink I found the V3SB almost too mild to cut. Same blade in the V3OC and I got a fair shave but it was still pretty mild.

With an unguarded Kai Pink, the SB gives nice smooth shaves. Once I've done that for a while I'll return to the OC, with an unguarded Kai blade. I'm expecting good things, as I prefer OC razors generally.

Advice is just to take your time. When I start a new razor, I occasionally keep a more familiar shaver tooled up and ready to go. Then I do the WTG pass with the new razor, XTG (if doing) and ATG with the one I know better. Might save your face a little.

Yer on the right track, just keep on truckin'.

O.H.

That’s a great idea, thanks O.H. 👍

OP, a few thoughts:

1. FWIW, the RR Hawk V3OC is very aggressive even vs other artist club razors, so it may take a couple of shaves to get the hang of it. That said, it's a fantastic design that CAN be tamed. It's in my top 2 AC razors with the Vector.

2. Try a steeper angle before you give up. I have the handle nearly parallel to my face. The comb IS the safety device IMO. I can't get a good shave riding the cap.

3. Kai Titan Mild Pinks are hotly contested. I like them, but many don't. It's expensive to try lots of Artist club blades, so order a couple of individual blades from Razorbladesclub. Also, make sure you get a chance to try the Schick P30. It excels in this razor. FWIW, I don't really like any of the Feather blades.

You WILL get the hang of this razor and enjoy it.

OP, a few thoughts:

1. FWIW, the RR Hawk V3OC is very aggressive even vs other artist club razors, so it may take a couple of shaves to get the hang of it. That said, it's a fantastic design that CAN be tamed. It's in my top 2 AC razors with the Vector.

2. Try a steeper angle before you give up. I have the handle nearly parallel to my face. The comb IS the safety device IMO. I can't get a good shave riding the cap.

3. Kai Titan Mild Pinks are hotly contested. I like them, but many don't. It's expensive to try lots of Artist club blades, so order a couple of individual blades from Razorbladesclub. Also, make sure you get a chance to try the Schick P30. It excels in this razor. FWIW, I don't really like any of the Feather blades.

thanks Guitar I appreciate the notes. I have not given up. I tried using a Feather, ironically, and got a much better shave. Still a lot of work to do and I think your angle comment will help. 🍻

I am still trying to figure this out myself. Pretty new to SE's (I have the Vector, Sabre and ATT SE1/2) so was wondering if the general rule of thumb is to have a shallow angle (close to riding the cap) or a steeper angle (parallel to face)? The SE2 is the only OC plate I have.

The Proline's are the most economical AC blades that do not compromise shave quality or longevity. I like the Kai Titan Mild Pinks but they are more expensive without being that much better (for me). The Feathers Pro is good but seems more aggressive so have to pay a bit of attention while shaving with it.

Top Bottom