What's new

I feel like I'm spending too much on what amounts to soap

Whatever happened to the days of buying a dollar bar of soap? Are we spending more just because of fragrance or smell or is it functionally better to buy higher-end soap or body wash? I was looking at my cabinet this morning and I see Harry's Method Man and another brand of just higher-end body wash and bars of soap I have laying around. Then I look over and I see Harry's shaving gel Harry's aftershave and again I'm wondering is it worth what I paid? I used to always just bathe with a good old bar of Irish Spring. It smelled good and it was reasonably cheap. Why did I get away from that. I'm starting to think that I've been spending too much money to be clean and to shave just because of how things smell. Can anyone else relate?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Whatever happened to the days of buying a dollar bar of soap? Are we spending more just because of fragrance or smell or is it functionally better to buy higher-end soap or body wash? I was looking at my cabinet this morning and I see Harry's Method Man and another brand of just higher-end body wash and bars of soap I have laying around. Then I look over and I see Harry's shaving gel Harry's aftershave and again I'm wondering is it worth what I paid? I used to always just bathe with a good old bar of Irish Spring. It smelled good and it was reasonably cheap. Why did I get away from that. I'm starting to think that I've been spending too much money to be clean and to shave just because of how things smell. Can anyone else relate?
I relate, but depending on when you developed the notion of a "dollar bar of soap," inflation has made it something larger. If it was the mid-1980s, for example, it is now around $2.50. A bar of my shower soap, Yardley Lavender, is only a dollar today. My aftershave is 4711 cologne, under $40 for 800 ml. Don't worry, I use Martin de Candre for shaving. The outlay is significant, but I believe the per shave cost will be reasonable.

Well, the first soaps I used just layered the scum around the tub and at the foot of the shower. The Neutrogena products helped with that and lasted nearly thirty years for me. I also shaved with an electric razor. So, once I realized 'wet shaving' really meant there were many different formulas and some agreed, some did not... with my skin, I discovered there are a number of products out there that work great and don't. I tend to seek those who are good and shun those who are not. For me. But ya, the price rises in consideration of the amount of excess money a person thinks they have, and 'if they deserve it.' Economics no longer means what they taught in 1960's schools, it is today, far more a reflection of P.T. Barnum's infamous observations.

I'm a big fan of Yardley bar soap, which are true tallow soaps, but costs about $1.25 a bar at Walmart. Most cheap soap like Irish Spring and Dove are detergent based, which my skin doesn't seem to like as much. Yardley is actually a surprisingly good shaving soap too. Unbelievable initial and residual slickness once you figure out how to make lather with it.

That said, if there are particular fragrances or particular moisturizers you're looking for, you're probably going to pay a hefty premium. Whether they're actually worth it or not is a question only the individual can answer for himself.

As far as shaving soaps go, I've found many soaps that cost 20x what Arko does. I've found better soaps than Arko, but none that are twice as good, let alone 20x as good.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I can get Cusson's Imperial Leather at 3 for £1, or Dove soap bars at 2 for £1. That's typically the kind of bar soap I'll get. Maybe a pack of basic own brand soap from Aldi. I'm not brand loyal. I'll add moisturiser if I need to, but rarely do. One bar on the bath, and another on the bathroom sink, although I do have liquid handwash in the kitchen. I tend to stock up periodically, and I think there's maybe half a dozen spares tucked away.

No shampoos, no conditioners, no showergels or body washes. I do have an obscene glut of shaving soap, but only three options are out for use at any time, and only get another out from the stockpile when one has been finished.

Because we are “Boomers”! Reached the top of our earnings. Kids are raised, house is payed for and now it’s time to pamper ourselves with 1969 Shelby Mustang Cobras and nice soap.

Because we are “Boomers”! Reached the top of our earnings. Kids are raised, house is payed for and now it’s time to pamper ourselves with 1969 Shelby Mustang Cobras and nice soap.
Picture painted, message clear! I don't even have the 'I'm spending the kids' inheritance' to worry about here.

I've recently stopped using soap for my face and neck because there are better things if you don't want your skin to look aged before it's time. I still use it for my body, but cheap soap is often just detergents that are rather harsh on the skin.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I find that some of the cheaper soaps can cause skin irritation and rashes for me. I have found that more simpler/plainer less scented soaps work best for my skin. I used to use Simple Soap but when that became hard to get out here in Australia I turned to Dove Pure and Sensitive.

Well no sense in worrying about it after it's bought. You can't return it, so enjoy it while you've got it. Then when you run out, go back and try the cheap stuff and let us know what you think.

Top Bottom