What's new

I don't want a Muhle R41

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Two words: Blackland Blackbird (open comb as you wish). Perfect for an aggressive razor.

Reactions: ewk
I have, and use the already mentioned Rocca, EJ 3ONE6 and Fatip open comb slant (FOCS). I think that they are all good choices, but the efficient razor I reach for most often is the Blackland Dart. Unfortunately it's discontinued, but if you can find a used one for sale, it would be a great choice.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi all,

I decided I want to get an aggressive razor, after some research. (Not an adjustable)

I don't want a R41. It's billed as the closest thing to a straight. But if I want a straight I'll just use a straight. I want a DE for when I need to shave quickly.

I currently have an edwin jagger with an Lord L6 head (it was more aggressive). But after using straights and shavettes it feels quite mild and I want something with more of an edge ;) since I don't have experience with more aggressive razors

The Fatip retro looks good as an aggressive option that is not so aggressive that it's no longer convinient.

Any other reccomendations. I guess I want an open comb since I haven't used one of those yet.
Price range?

Here are three threads that may be of assistance:

Thread 'Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)' Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/comparison-of-de-razors-in-my-den-from-75-to-125-usd.600310/

Thread 'Time To Do A SE Razor Shaving Comparison' Time To Do A SE Razor Shaving Comparison - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/time-to-do-a-se-razor-shaving-comparison.586057/

Thread 'Fun With Above The Tie (ATT) Razors' Fun With Above The Tie (ATT) Razors - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/fun-with-above-the-tie-att-razors.602423/

If you are willing to go to the $200 or more range:
Blackland Razors Vector (Single Edge AC Blade)
Blackland Razors Titanium Blackbird
Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB
Timeless Titanium Slim

Hi all,

I decided I want to get an aggressive razor, after some research. (Not an adjustable)

I don't want a R41. It's billed as the closest thing to a straight. But if I want a straight I'll just use a straight. I want a DE for when I need to shave quickly.

I currently have an edwin jagger with an Lord L6 head (it was more aggressive). But after using straights and shavettes it feels quite mild and I want something with more of an edge ;) since I don't have experience with more aggressive razors

The Fatip retro looks good as an aggressive option that is not so aggressive that it's no longer convinient.

Any other reccomendations. I guess I want an open comb since I haven't used one of those yet.
Get yourself an iKon Tech, this razor beat the R41 like HELL!!

proxy.php

I'll second a Fatip, my piccolo is an excellent, efficient shaver. It is open comb and cheap to buy, so it's not going to break the bank.
This!

I had my first shave with a Fatip Originale Piccolo last night. It was very efficient but also super smooth (just make sure to keep the blade angle neutral or shallow). The only (minor) complaint I may have is the handle was on the smaller side. I imagine the Grande would probably be better for those who like longer handles (like yours truly).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Fatips work great at a very steep angle. Do what you want to, but don't think they require a shallow angle.

$Steep Angle.jpg

⬅️ This​
$Shallow Angle.jpg

Fatips (when they need to be which is uncommon) can be aligned in a few seconds once you get used to doing it (which is almost always not necessary).

Get yourself a FOCS! Another good option is the non-slanted Fatip Grande. The bigger fatter handle is better according to me, but some prefer the too skinny Piccolo. YMMV.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Fatips work great at a very steep angle. Do what you want to, but don't think they require a shallow angle.

Fatips (when they need to be which is uncommon) can be aligned in a few seconds once you get used to doing it (which is almost always not necessary).

Get yourself a FOCS! Another good option is the non-slanted Fatip Grande. The bigger fatter handle is better according to me, but some prefer the too skinny Piccolo. YMMV.

Happy shaves,

Jim
At a steep angle, I felt the blade tugging and catching. At a shallow angle, the blade mowed down hairs like a hot knife through butter. It was smooth, comfortable, and efficient. 🙂

Of course, this is likely another case of YMMV, the ever present specter behind every wet shaving conversation. 😁

I see a surprising number of razors on the big auction site, mostly Techs, assembled with the guard upside down. It’s mostly antique sellers who don’t deal with razors often but still. Web search engines have been around a few years now.
I wonder if that's how Rockwell came up with its "flip a base" design. 😁

Game Changer .84 OC or JAWS.

There are more aggressive open combs, but this one is top tier for efficient thick beard removal plus simply delivering a great shave.

I was about to post on that exact razor, but since you did it I can only agree with you. I have the Jaws version and it is an excellent shaver. For the very little you sacrifice in smoothness from the original 0.84, you get a lot more efficiency. The Jaws is still plenty smooth enough, dont get me wrong.

On the Slant side of thing, please consider the Wunderbar. First couple of use might require adjustment to technique but when this is done, you get a fantastic shaver that can handle pretty much anything

Happy shaves,

Jim
Steep angle behaves like a paint scraper, that's Freddy Krueger favorite sexiest shave

proxy.php

Top Bottom