What's new

I don't understand.

Yes it is nice to have a shave cream that smells nice while you shave but is it really all that important when that scent fades quickly as soon as your done shaving and then put on after shave?

For me scent is more important than performance. I have creams/soaps that are outstanding in performance but i don´t use them or only once or twice a year ´cause the scent is not my cup of tea (Caties Bubbles LPV, Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore). My technique is top, I can have a great shave with every blade and almost every soap or cream (except this one: worst ever--> Rasiercreme )...so performance of the croap is not a need for a great shave in my case. Maybe the beginner benefits more from a top performer. But a pleasant scent is a must for me to enjoy my shave.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's under your nose; the scent counts ... a perfume/cologne "colors the day" (a Turin/Sanchez quote).

Haslinger's the best (soapwise) but one can be a little disappointed in its scentless-ness ...

AA

It's under your nose; the scent counts ... a perfume/cologne "colors the day" (a Turin/Sanchez quote).

Haslinger's the best (soapwise) but one can be a little disappointed in its scentless-ness ...

AA

If it smells nothing, i intend to either superlather it with Derby lemon or make a small Derby lemon lather in another bowl and leave it in front of me while i shave. Suddenly Haslinger smells like Derby lemon. :001_tt1:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm, yeah. I sprayed Houbigant Fougere Roylae on some MWF a few weeks ago ... ahhhhh, fougere-fat goodness.

AA

Hm, yeah. I sprayed Houbigant Fougere Roylae on some MWF a few weeks ago ... ahhhhh, fougere-fat goodness.

AA

No, you shouldn't mix cologne to your lather. Alcohol is a solvent, it ruins it. Either you need to superlather or if you want to smell your cologne put some over your nostrils, where you don't lather.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
No, you shouldn't mix cologne to your lather. Alcohol is a solvent, it ruins it. Either you need to superlather or if you want to smell your cologne put some over your nostrils, where you don't lather.

That is correct! Small amount, I let dry.

That's why the whole Willy thing was a bit of a lathering struggle. Anyways.

AA

Scent is a tolerated element that i'm happy to have disappeared in a flash. Even if it's a scent a find pleasant i'd really rather not have to smell it while shaving, the experience of the container opening waft is quite enough.

dave

This. I would much rather shave with something that smells good and has great performance than something that only has great performance.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

+1

For me the combination of a great scent and performance goes along way for an enjoyable shave.

One of my favourite creams for this is GFT Spanish Leather.

I went almost a year, when I first started, only using VDH Deluxe and some vintage Williams I found at an antique store. I never felt like I was missing anything. My AD was for razors, and that's where my shaving budget went. After I had a stupid amount of razors I started buying soaps, now I'm bordering on a stupid amount of soaps. :wink2:

Scent is a big part for me. I think that I would place it above performance. Luckily, there's a lot of great smelling, great perfoming soaps and creams.

I like both performance and scent. A nice scent makes it more pleasant for me.
Kind of like aromatherapy.
CF Lime, T&H Aspley, ML Paradise Frost, or Maggards Orange Menthol would miss the mark if they were scentless.
Yea, scent IS important.
Mike

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Scent is for me olfactory delight, hence part of the performance of ANY grooming product. If I find a great soap or cream that has a bad smell or something I don't like, then it's out of my den. Pretty much the same consideration for neutral products or products with no fragrance at all, which I would describe as "soulless".

I will not buy unscented cream or one where I don't like the scent no matter how great it is.
For me, scent is a big deal, deal breaker in fact.

Yes it is nice to have a shave cream that smells nice while you shave but is it really all that important when that scent fades quickly as soon as your done shaving and then put on after shave?

Olfactory Fatigue, your body is cutting you off to allow for the detection of new stimuli.

Olfactory fatigue, also known as odor fatigue or olfactory adaptation, is the temporary, normal inability to distinguish a particular odor after a prolonged exposure to that airborne compound.[1] For example, when entering a restaurant initially the odor of food is often perceived as being very strong, but after time the awareness of the odor normally fades to the point where the smell is not perceptible or is much weaker. After leaving the area of high odor, the sensitivity is restored with time. Anosmia is the permanent loss of the sense of smell, and is different from olfactory fatigue.

It is a term commonly used in wine tasting, where one loses the ability to smell and distinguish wine bouquet after sniffing at wine(s) continuously for an extended period of time. The term is also used in the study of indoor air quality, for example, in the perception of odors from people, tobacco, and cleaning agents.

Olfactory fatigue is an example of neural adaptation or sensory adaptation. The body becomes desensitized to stimuli to prevent the overloading of the nervous system, thus allowing it to respond to new stimuli that are 'out of the ordinary'.

Olfactory fatigue - Wikipedia

dave

Olfactory Fatigue, your body is cutting you off to allow for the detection of new stimuli.

Anosmia is the permanent loss of the sense of smell, and is different from olfactory fatigue.

dave

According to the Mayo Clinic:
"Your sense of smell serves more than one purpose. It not only allows you to enjoy a variety of aromas, but also warns you of potential dangers such as smoke or leaking gas.

Loss of smell can be partial (hyposmia) or complete (anosmia), and may be temporary or permanent, depending on the cause. Although loss of smell is rarely a symptom of a serious condition, even a partial loss of smell could cause you to lose interest in eating, which could possibly lead to weight loss, malnutrition or even depression." Since this is the Mayo Clinic I would trust them more than anything on Wikipedia which can be edited by anyone who wishes.

I was in France many years ago and went into a perfume store and started trying scents for Men's Colognes hoping to find something to bring home with me and after the first couple of colognes, I could smell nothing! Every cologne I tried after that smelled like nothing! Fortunately, my sense of smell came back later but I missed out on a opportunity in France! Anosmia is a pain but pretty common to people as is olfactory fatigue.

According to the Mayo Clinic:
"Your sense of smell serves more than one purpose. It not only allows you to enjoy a variety of aromas, but also warns you of potential dangers such as smoke or leaking gas.

Loss of smell can be partial (hyposmia) or complete (anosmia), and may be temporary or permanent, depending on the cause. Although loss of smell is rarely a symptom of a serious condition, even a partial loss of smell could cause you to lose interest in eating, which could possibly lead to weight loss, malnutrition or even depression." Since this is the Mayo Clinic I would trust them more than anything on Wikipedia which can be edited by anyone who wishes.

I was in France many years ago and went into a perfume store and started trying scents for Men's Colognes hoping to find something to bring home with me and after the first couple of colognes, I could smell nothing! Every cologne I tried after that smelled like nothing! Fortunately, my sense of smell came back later but I missed out on a opportunity in France! Anosmia is a pain but pretty common to people as is olfactory fatigue.

The wikipedia article refers to a physiological condition. Mayo clinic refers to pathological condition.

The wikipedia article refers to a physiological condition. Mayo clinic refers to pathological condition.
If you followed the Mayo Clinic posts you will see that they are referring to both physiological and pathological conditions of which there is a long list:

Loss of smell (anosmia) Causes

Either way, men have the tenancy to have a much lower level of ability to smell than women do!

Men have a lousy sense of smell compared to women. http://www.counselheal.com/articles/12740/20141106/official-womens-sense-smell-better-men.htm

Top Bottom